Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

beginer gyro

Old 04-19-2012, 03:18 AM
julian.paton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beginer gyro

Hi guys
im a beginer to this hole heil gyro thing and i was looking for a good gyro.
i was looking at the futaba gy520 heading hold. my friend has one in his trex450
i wanted some thing similer to that but a little cheaper that will fit in my hk450gt
i have a turnigy tgy-2216mg tail servo.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:20 AM
TakeshiSkunk

Default RE: beginer gyro

If there's any way you can afford it I would not go cheap on a tail gyro. Doesn't have to be a high end one but just something of reliable quality. An HK could work fine for you but the stuff is cheap for a reason, no one would be shocked to hear of one dying for no reason.

This is an especially big deal because losing a gyro can almost guarantee a crash, especially while learning. An experienced pilot may be able to autorotate and save it but it would be fairly difficult on a heli that small.

Beyond that a subpar gyro will just make flying more annoying all around, just ask anyone who flew an un-upgraded blade 400 for any period of time (like me ). Having the tail constantly drifting or wagging is no good.

So yeah, if you absolutely need to keep this on a budget then someone around here can probably offer some suggestions, but if you can afford it at all I'd say to get something nicer. You can easily transfer whatever you buy onto new helis down the line as well.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:29 AM
ATVAlliance

I have a good JR gyro on my Raptor 50...but on my 500 and 450 I use the Detrym(sp?) GY48V.  It is a cheap chinese gyro and is a clone of a 401.

For my skills at this point in the game it works fine and is well under 20 bucks.  You can fly it in HH or Rate mode and can switch between the two with a switch on the TX.

Here is where I bought mine.  Cant offer any advice other than I have had them for 2 years now and roughly somewhere around 100 flights on both helis combined with no issues.

Here is just the gyro...
http://www.xheli.com/60p-dy-1017.html

And here is an entire electronics kit for a 450, which includes the gyro (good if you havent bought any electronics)
http://www.xheli.com/dy450brmoes9.html

While a lot of experienced RC heli pilots may warn against this kit, being an absolute "noob" to the heli game...all of the parts will most likely work fine for getting you started very cheap into a 450 size heli.  Trust me, you will crash and break stuff.  So why break top of the line/expensive stuff?  Break the cheap stuff and once you have learned to hover and start into forward flight/circuits...upgrade to better electronics.  Thats my opinion anyway.

Im just now starting to fly circuits and while I have good HiTek servos on my 450...I use the same ESC and gyro with a cheapy Exceed Alpha 400 motor on it and it performs fine for scale type flying.  I cant attest to 3D performance as I dont fly 3D at all.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:41 AM
rotor09

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ATVAlliance

.... I use the Detrym(sp?) GY48V. It is a cheap chinese gyro and is a clone of a 401.

I am an experienced pilot and believe me, the only clone part about the GY48V gyro is that the case is much the same dimension as that of the Futaba GY-401. How well it performs in more demanding maneuvers if very different. The GY-401 will be far better, and the GY520 is even a good step above the GY-401.

I even find that my older Arcamax HH gyros (one of the first ever to come out many years ago) will outperform the GY48V.

That said. For just learning to hover, and for initial forward flight and the more basic aerobatic maneuvers like a roll and loop, the 48V may be an option, but in no way is it up to the Futaba GY-401.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:56 AM
TakeshiSkunk

I think you'd either have to reduce your helicopter to splinters or go into a lake to break a gyro in a crash. RX and gyro are generally pretty difficult to damage, especially on a 450.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:41 AM
ATVAlliance

ORIGINAL: rotor09

ORIGINAL: ATVAlliance

.... I use the Detrym(sp?) GY48V. It is a cheap chinese gyro and is a clone of a 401.

I am an experienced pilot and believe me, the only clone part about the GY48V gyro is that the case is much the same dimension as that of the Futaba GY-401. How well it performs in more demanding maneuvers if very different. The GY-401 will be far better, and the GY520 is even a good step above the GY-401.

I even find that my older Arcamax HH gyros (one of the first ever to come out many years ago) will outperform the GY48V.

That said. For just learning to hover, and for initial forward flight and the more basic aerobatic maneuvers like a roll and loop, the 48V may be an option, but in no way is it up to the Futaba GY-401.
That is probably true...I have no experience to dispute that. However,my intenet wasnt to compare how closelythe 48V mimics the original 401. I was simply stating that I have 2 of them on my 450 and 500 and they work fine if you are flying up to the skill set I am currently at. And that skill level is hovering and FFF circuits. Im not doing rolls or loops or any 3D yet (unless you count on the SIM and Im not sure what gyro is in that thing LOL). I do some piros too and pitch pumps and the tail on both helis holds pretty solid and has no wag.

I have a couple of reasons why I even posted in this thread though, and they are...

1. I have actually flown this gyro, so I feel that I can give testimony to my experience with it. And feel that it is one of the decent entry level gyros. I could say that I have seen videos of it fly...but really I dont ever go there as I cant really say what is on the tail of any youtube heli video. I can only assume that the poster of said video is honest. But I have seen videos of it fly 3D with no issues. I just wouldnt trust it personally.

and

2. The original poster said that he has a "turnigy" rudder servo. This leads me to believe that he is working towards keeping the price down. I mean I wouldnt put a 15 dollar servo on a 200 dollar gyro...would you? Even though I have a cheap gyro...I put a decent servo on the tail (thinkIm running a hitec 5083 or 84 on my 450).

Anyway...I dont want to be argumentative and hope that I havent came off as that. And I do appreciate your input as to the differences of the two gyros in question. But Im not certain this is a middle ground for the OP. You either can buy a cheapie gyro or an expensive one. And primarily based on the servo he already has...I figured he would be a candidate for a cheap one (like myself). And since Ive had good luck with the 48v on 2 different helis...thought I would put my .02's in on it.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:03 AM
ATVAlliance

ORIGINAL: TakeshiSkunk

I think you'd either have to reduce your helicopter to splinters or go into a lake to break a gyro in a crash. RX and gyro are generally pretty difficult to damage, especially on a 450.

Ive seenseveral of them broken (online not in person) by flybar strikes if you mount them to the top of the boom block(which is the way I see a lot of people do).

I mount mine to the bottom of the boom block...so Ive never damaged a gyro in a crash. But do see how it is possible. And some heli's you HAVE to mount them to the top of the boom block...as the rudder servo is in the way for mounting to the underside.

So, yeah...a crash definitely can destroy a gyro...or at the very least rip the wires out of it.

Also...even though we really arent talking about RX here...it is standard procedure to send in ANY reciever that has been in a crash for inspection. I never do this (not that I crash a lot) so Im not going to be hypocritical and state that you should do it.But I can see the reason why its recommended as a SOP.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:59 PM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

you can find futaba gy401's used in good order all over for 40-60 bucks they are proven and rock solid
Old 04-19-2012, 09:51 PM
rotordoc1

ORIGINAL: madmorgan

you can find futaba gy401's used in good order all over for 40-60 bucks they are proven and rock solid
Having experience with both gyros, I would take a good working used GY-401 before the GY48V anyday. Just be sure it is a genuine Futaba GY-401, as a couple of years ago there was a chinese seller who was actually selling very real looking fakes of the GY-401's. Futaba actually had a warning about them on their site. I believe the way to idendify them was by their connecters, which where of a different color.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:29 AM
rotor09

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

......Anyway...I dont want to be argumentative and hope that I havent came off as that. And I do appreciate your input as to the differences of the two gyros in question. But Im not certain this is a middle ground for the OP. You either can buy a cheapie gyro or an expensive one. And primarily based on the servo he already has...I figured he would be a candidate for a cheap one (like myself). And since Ive had good luck with the 48v on 2 different helis...thought I would put my .02's in on it.
No problem, I just wanted to make it clear to others reading this thread, so that they did not think the GY48V was at all the equivalent to a GY-401.