Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New tanks but a couple of problems

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New tanks but a couple of problems

Old 04-21-2012, 09:03 AM
strippersteel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New tanks but a couple of problems

Hey everybody a newbie here. Just got 2 new HL tanks and having some problems. First off Ibought a Panther G and the turret made noises but didn't turn. Sure enough opened it up and the turret motor had broke off. I've tried to glue it back on without success so it looks like I will be returning that one to Matomart unless anybody has any good ideas on how to fix it. The other problem i'm having is that I got the metal upgrades but the metal tracks, drive wheels, and idler wheels to not come preinstalled. Theres no directions and a bunch of different little screws which seems weird to me since only 1 screw currently holds on the drive wheel and 1 that holds on the idler wheel. Any help would be appreciated. Btw, my first tank was a HL Taigen Tiger and it had ZERO problems when I bought it and its a blast to play with.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:49 AM
rampa203

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New tanks but a couple of problems

On the turret motor what part is broken? the standoffs? gearbox?

Not sure about all the screws. I assume that the road wheels and suspension isinstalled.

Russ
Old 04-21-2012, 09:51 AM
harleridr

Hi
I can't help you with the turret , that should be sent back.but I think you will find the small screws hold the sprocket halves together.
Harle
Old 04-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Directions? Instructions? I know this will sound rude (and it's not meant to be) but you will find most of your upgrades/metal parts DO NOT have anything to show you how they are installed.

It's a 'learn as you go' or you should already know how they work. Once you overcome this the term "newbie" will be removed just like the yellow rookie stripe comes off the back of the car.

~ Jeff
Old 04-21-2012, 10:31 AM
strippersteel

Rampa203 yeah the gearbox for the turret is broken off.  Tried to fix it myself but can't get it to stay so i'm just going to return it to Matomart.  Also Panther F considering I am COMPLETELY new to not just RC tanks but RC stuff in general, how would I could I know it wouldn't come with instructions?  Everything you buy in life 99% of the time comes with instructions.  I already know how to take of the tracks, drive wheels, and idler wheels its just putting them back on has me a little confused.  I think I just need some sleep(worked 16 hours yesterday) and when I wake up i'll try to tackle it. 
Old 04-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Glen B

Hope this helps;

The front sproket is held on by a 2.5 mm Allen head machine screw, this is concealed behind a "hub cap" that must be pried off to expose the scew head.

The wheels are held on to the suspension arms with 2.5 mm Allen head screwsthat engage the plastic sus*****on arms (not sure what the screws for the metal arms are like). The screw serves as the axle for the wheel. The screw heads are concealed behind hub caps, too.

The suspension arms are faestened to the lower hull with 2.5 mm head Allen screws, there is also a suspnesion spring and washer behind each arm.

Rear idler is shown in the picture. It is fastened to the lower hull with a Philips head screw. You need a small Philips screwdriver that can pass through the hole in the center of the idler to get at the screw.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18709.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1753155  
Old 04-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: strippersteel

Rampa203 yeah the gearbox for the turret is broken off. Tried to fix it myself but can't get it to stay so i'm just going to return it to Matomart. Also Panther F considering I am COMPLETELY new to not just RC tanks but RC stuff in general, how would I could I know it wouldn't come with instructions? Everything you buy in life 99% of the time comes with instructions. I already know how to take of the tracks, drive wheels, and idler wheels its just putting them back on has me a little confused. I think I just need some sleep(worked 16 hours yesterday) and when I wake up i'll try to tackle it.

Oh, I'm not assuming that you should have known, but now you do. Almost all of these things do not have any means of showing us how they go together. It's less expensive to not have to pay someone to draw up instructions/directions than it is to just throw them in a box and send to us.

~ Jeff
Old 04-21-2012, 12:22 PM
CHIEFSONN

So you received a Heng long Panther tank ,it has metal track,sprocket and idler and a few extra screws and no instructions. although they are not installed you are ahead, most other comp. send you the tank with the one set. So to remove the sprocket you have to remove the cap as explained,then remove the 2.5 mm Allen screw gently pull off the sprocket, with sprocket off the shaft remove from track,and the sprocket wheel is out of the way remove the track from the rest of the wheels by pulling it towards the idler( back of the tank) and off completely. now the idler is attached with a Phillips screw in behind the hole of the face so you need along thin Phillips for that. the extra screws that came with the tank metal sprocket is for joining the idlers together,2 for each idler. install the metal idler and the sprocket.put the track on with the ends at a point where you can install the pin into the track from the inside of the track going out. holding the track ends against the sprocket and keeping the track to gather install the pin. and since we have the tank open check all the screws for tightness, wires are connected and holding.ect. and for the turret motor not working an it being broken I suggest you go to the Mato site and contact consumer,tell them your problem they will want a picture sent by email,and they will most likely send you a new traverse motor assembly. good luck any other questions please post. and welcome to the hobby and this forum.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

i have my idler as a bolt through so i didn't take it off but once you get your Drive wheel together it should go on easily here is a short video oh and i dropped my allen wrench in the video but had another one close by...lol and i only have the plastic drivewheels and idlers not the metal ones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZXTq...yer_detailpage
Old 04-21-2012, 01:14 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm new to HLs myself and had issues with each one. It's the nature of the beast, they are pretty impressive for what they are, but you'll need to do some work to get them in good order.

These are the three I bought:

StuG III G - Elevation went in the first few minutes, Rx-18 board overheated and a track link broke. The Tx left stick was cutting a groove into the PCB when moved as well. Called the company, they sent a new Tx, I fixed the rest with a bunch of trial and error. I added a fill tube for the smoker and moved the speaker to the deck and installed a Mako board so I battle my Tamiyas. Total $161.

Panther - Right out of the box, antenna was bent (looked like it was chewed), headlight is broken and not working and when I ran it, a high pitched squeal started and restarts. I'm in the process of returning it, the company I bought this from is less than stellar in their customer service, so I will not waste my time trying to sort it out. $101

Pz IV F1 with metal upgrades - So far the best and most complete. I had to install the tracks and drive sprocket/idlers and also correct a sloppy press in the metal gearbox. I rebent the 'leaf springs' so they do a bit more work with slightly raise the suspension. $171

Add those up and it's still half a Tamiya.

The StuG and PzIV will get the full cosmetic makeover, the StuG will get a new gearbox and metal tracks eventually. Both are getting upgraded motion, sound, IR systems and Rx. I'm rebuilding the smokers to full proportional too.

One thing I found, add one of the extra track links to each side. They seem to ship with way too much track tension which can't be good but a little sag in the metal tracks looks and functions more accurately.

Main thing is to have a sense of humor about it and get your hands dirty.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:43 AM
strippersteel

Thanks for the help everybody. After getting some good sleep I went over to a friend of mines house and we put are brains together and fixed the turret on the Panther and finished getting the metal tracks, idler, and drive wheels, on both tanks. Both run good except that the Panther won't receive hits with IR. The Jagdpanther will register hits but not the Panther. So we don't know if the problem lies with the Jagdpanther not sending the signal or if its the Panther just not receiving it. It might be the Panther since it was obviously damaged in shipping with the messed up turret. We are going to open the Panther back up in the next day or 2 and check everything. Thanks again everybody!
Old 04-22-2012, 06:14 AM
vett guy

check make sure your apple is getting contact.or switch them around ive had therm start working just by moving them
Old 04-22-2012, 07:07 AM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Also get a digital camera look at the emitter see if it's working through the camera screen
Old 04-22-2012, 08:00 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could probably hold a mirror in front of the Jagd to test as well. IR bounces too.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:20 AM
strippersteel

Thanks for the ideas.  I'm going to try both the camera and mirror and see what happens.  Will let you all know.  Thanks!