Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Use Ultracote or Ultracote Parklite for 2X4 Glider?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Use Standard Ultracote for durability
0%
Use Ultracote Parklite for best performance
100.00%
Split the difference W/transparent Std Ultracote
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Use Ultracote or Ultracote Parklite for 2X4 Glider?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 10:50 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Use Ultracote or Ultracote Parklite for 2X4 Glider?

I'm building a small sailplane for my grandaughter.

49 1/2" wingspan, probably 4 channels (rudder, elevator & 2 channels for aileron diff) W/Hitec 05S micro RX & HS-55 servos. I am going to use 1 micro servo in each wingtip for aileron differential & whatever size Nmh battery pack in the nose that will balance it out.

I am considering using Ultracote Parklite for covering to keep weight down. It's spec'ed @ 28oz W/1983 era radio equipment (2 servos). The author quoted 10oz for his radio equipment.

Is the weight savings of the Ultracoat Parklite worth the diminished durability?
A roll of standard Ultarcote wieghs about 3.6oz while the roll of Parklite weighs about .5 oz. Since I will use almost all of the roll on the plane, I can save nearly 3oz AUW by using the Parklite.

I figure that I can save about 8oz total W/the lighter batteries/radio equipment & covering.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:05 AM
kwmtrubrit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Use Ultracote or Ultracote Parklite for 2X4 Glider?

As the sayings go, "Take off's/launches are optional." "You fly, you crash." I assume your granddaughter will be flying too. How much flying experience do you have? If yes, and not much are your answers, I would be inclined to go with the stronger covering. In your other thread, you talked about using an .049 engine, so I would think cleaning the fuel from the plane will also be required, less chance of a finger going through the wing. I'm surprised you are still looking at ailerons on a poly trainer, Oh well.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:53 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Use Ultracote or Ultracote Parklite for 2X4 Glider?

ORIGINAL: kwmtrubrit

As the sayings go, ''Take off's/launches are optional.'' ''You fly, you crash.'' I assume your granddaughter will be flying too. How much flying experience do you have? If yes, and not much are your answers, I would be inclined to go with the stronger covering. In your other thread, you talked about using an .049 engine, so I would think cleaning the fuel from the plane will also be required, less chance of a finger going through the wing. I'm surprised you are still looking at ailerons on a poly trainer, Oh well.

I'm new to gliders but used to burn a gallon of Cool Power every week back when I was active.

I started out W/a 92" Sr Telemaster W/a Saito FA 150 4-stroke & a Hitec Prism 7X PCM computer radio. I soloed W/O a trainer cord W/O crashing. The (minor) crashes came later as I began pushing the envelope. Every time I repaired the Sr Telemaster, I took out wing dihedral, wing incidence, added wing struts for high "G" hucking. etc. It would knife edge & do nice split "S" & reverse cuban 8s etc. I finally took it straight in @ WOT when I misjudged altitude doing a split "S". It was the most spedtacular crash I ever saw. Too bad nobody else was watching that day.

For right now my grandaughter will mostly be entertained by "Pappy" & hopefully get intereseted. I want short entertaining flights that will not exceed her attention span. I have a spare TX W/a buddy cord for that if/when it happens. I can merely unplug the ailerons & plug the rudder into ch 1 for 2-channel trainer purposes & switch back to 4-channel when I want to play goofy.

The micro servos W/micro HDWE will not add much weight & I plan to have maximum aileron diffferential, 80/20 up/down set up as flaperons reversed so that the flaps will be similar to spoilers that can be adjusted via the flap dial on my Prism 7X. The structure will not be much more complex than stock. I can run zero gap on top & hardly any on the bottom of the aileron.

As far as the covering, I have decided to split the difference W/trasparent orange Ultracote. It kinda splits the difference between the opaque std Ultracote & Parklite. I can still shave off about 1 1/2oz. The transparrent weighs .18oz per sq ft compared to .3oz for the Opaque std Ultracote & .048oz for the Parklite.

The .049 idea is no longer attractive. I do not want the noise to scare my GD & I will just set up a high start after some hand launch shake down flights.