Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas engine forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:05 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Gas engine forum

I am willing to bet if you had that answer held in a draft...and cut copied it at a different time, you would get a good reply instead of a bone-head type reply. It just depends who is out there when you post and the mood they are in. But then you find a few bone-heads all the time. Post anyway...somebody will listen and use you advice. That is worth it then. Best Regards, Capt,n
Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

I have seen peoples advise being completley dis-credited by others with downright bad advise. The problem is that the person asking the questions will gravitate to the answer that is the easiest solution or what they wanted to hear in the first place. Sometimes the correct answer is not the easiest solution. A good example is when I took a fair amount of time to explain setting up throttle servo/linkage. It was pointed out very quickly and rudely that my method was wrong although I have been a competitive IMAC pilot for 13 years. For the most part I have stopped advising here because it seems everytime I do I step on the toes of a self proclaimed big fish.
Bad advice? Rude? Really? Expecting others (who don't know you from Adam) to take your word as gospel is expecting a bit much, don't you think? You actually expect others not to ask questions or for explanations because you flew IMAC? Isn't that a lot like being a "self proclaimed big fish"? Who's calling this kettle black?

That exchange was meant to be conversational. My intent when asking about what you were saying was not meant to be rude at all? I was trying to learn why your results were so different than mine (and others) - and pointed that out at the time? As a matter of fact, if you'll think back we agreed the smaller engines (sub 30cc, which were the topic of that conversation) did not respond quite the way you had predicted they would? That your experience was limited to 50cc+? In this example, it was you sir, spreading "questionable" advise....

Rather than wander further off topic, if you feel you were correct within the context of that conversation, bring the string back up and we'll continue there?

Old 04-24-2012, 04:26 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

china engines ill never buy again i got a 15 gas engine from hobby king on the 3rd flip it froze up sent it back onweek after i got it that was 4 months ago and 125emails asking where my engine is no help from them. i think they got my money and dont give a darn about the americans allen
That is why they can sell them so cheap, They know that they do not have to back them up with service.

I buy some products from Hobbyking but I know what I see is what I get (maybe) and if I have a problem I have to take care of it.

You can have a problem with any engine, China made or not. Who you buy them from makes the difference.

Milton
Old 04-24-2012, 04:56 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

china engines ill never buy again i got a 15 gas engine from hobby king on the 3rd flip it froze up sent it back onweek after i got it that was 4 months ago and 125emails asking where my engine is no help from them. i think they got my money and dont give a darn about the americans allen
You do enjoy reposting this story again and again, don't you. It is sad you got such a bad deal from HK, but when you deal with them, you get what you get: get over it.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:07 AM
RJStrickJR
My Feedback: (97)

I don't post much here on RCU but I have posted several times on other web sites. I have only been in the hobby for 2 1/2 years and I have built over 50 ARF'S and 3 full build kits. I love gasoline engines and IMO they are all good engines if you take the time to do the reserch on the engine that you have in your hand!! What I mean is this, If you have an SVHobby engine, what works for you may not work on a MVVS or RCV or CRCC. In my experiance with gas and I have experianced first hand from 14CC Saito FG14B all the way to what I have now and that is a 3W120 (great engine tons of power), They all are similar but so vary diffrent! The SV 26CC swings a bigger prop than a Zenhoa 26CC at the same RPM. Guess what? When they are running you can't hear a diffrence, LOL. I also have had 2 SV 50CC single cylinder and I also have a 50CC twinn. They run great, but it took some tinkering to get them going. One thing you have to do is solder the hole shut on the butterflty for the choke so it will draw gas. Otherwise you will be flipping forever. 1 More thing I do to them is remove the spring loaded choke arms and use a choke servo. I have found that alot of guys like to use a manualchoke and have even read a thread on remote engine shut offs, that choke will shutt the engine down if you lose your throttle sevo. That happened at our field less than month ago. I now have the plane and it is all back to normal, with you guessed it a choke servo! I have never owned a DA but I have seen guys that have had troubles out of them also. Sometimes I do not belive it's the brand of engine that gives trouble but the way its set up and the user trying to get it right. Most gas engines (even the big ones), will start or try to start with 1 1/2 turns from closed on both the high and the low needles. The exeption to this is the Saito 4 stroke gassers, they are a whole other ball game! The low has to be set fush with the throttle arm sometimes about 5-6 tuns from closed. The high is 1 1/2 - 2 from closed and always get the low right then the high and then retune with the low. Once you have them running right they are awsome little engines. One more simple little thing. Alot of guys loose the spark and think thatits a bad ignition. Before you through it away and buy a new try taking a par oflong needle nose pliers and closing clampin the plug cap that wrapsaround the end of the plug. The chinees ignitionsdont use very good metal and that little clap canloosen up and you will loose spark. Ask me how I know LOL.

I geuss in short what I am saying is it's not always the engine or the user but the lack of knowledge of that particular engine you are tinkering with!

WEW that was alot of typing so I will sit backread the comments now....
Old 04-24-2012, 05:46 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: RJStrickJR

I geuss in short what I am saying is it's not always the engine or the user but the lack of knowledge of that particular engine you are tinkering with!
While I understand where you are going with your response in this thread, no amount of understanding can fix bad, defective parts, substandard materials, shoddy workmanship, poor design and assembly, etc.

I would rate Chinese engines in about (3) different classes. First, complete junk! Second, acceptable quality and design .... in short a useful product. And third, a quality product from a company that appears to care about its customers and one that is also backed by some form of dealer network. One doesn't have to look far to see plenty of examples of each of these categories.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:00 AM
RJStrickJR

I would like to add that I have never purchased an engine from HOBBYKING or any other Chineese website. These engines can be purchased from American owned and operated Hobby Shops and online Hobby Shops that are based right here in the good ole USA. I have read through some of the threads and see where and why you would say that service is not up to par. The money that hose buyers saved by not ordering through and american owned site or shop, is probably lost. The chinese companies have no sorrow or remorse in taking your money to thier bank and giving one less than exspected in the quality of an item purchased. I read every day how Hobby King has done something wrong. If I purchase on line it's through Tower or Horizion. Sometimes Advatage RC. All american based and yes I have had to send stuff back, but they made it right and right away! Those who try to save money? HUMM... What are they realy saving?

If you look back on the threads where engines have seased up. You will find that most of them were bought from an online hobby store not based in the USA. That's why they have no warrenty. The chineese are not stupid and the Quality control I believe is diffrent when an Item is manufatured for an American based store than a chinese based store. Troy Built Models has sold SV and other chinese engines and they stand behind them if there is an issue. BUYAMERICANORFROMAMAERICAN. Maybe then we will see a decreece in Chineese Hobby Stores.

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

ORIGINAL: RJStrickJR

While I understand where you are going with your response in this thread, no amount of understanding can fix bad, defective parts, substandard materials, shoddy workmanship, poor design and assembly, etc.

I would rate Chinese engines in about (3) different classes. First, complete junk! Second, acceptable quality and design .... in short a useful product. And third, a quality product from a company that appears to care about its customers and one that is also backed by some form of dealer network. One doesn't have to look far to see plenty of examples of each of these categories.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:23 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

YOUR RIGHT I BOUGHT THE ENGINE BECAUSE IT LOOKED GOOD BUT NOW I HAVE 2 AMERICAN GAS ENGINES THAT RUN VERY NICE NO MORE HOBBY KING FOR ME
Old 04-24-2012, 06:25 AM
[email protected]

YOUR RIGHT BUY AMERICAN MABE AFTER I GET TO BE 80 NEXT MONTH ILL BE BETTER
Old 04-24-2012, 07:29 AM
stanairman
My Feedback: (93)

has anybody heard whats going on with bjs engine service i sent two motors in for repair and now all i get a message whey are closed until further notice help huh stan airman from indiana
Old 04-24-2012, 07:39 AM
[email protected]

send me the phone number ill try to get them from here in california allen
Old 04-24-2012, 11:29 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

80 years and still an active modeler! Good for you! Keep at it.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:20 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

ORIGINAL: ahicks

I have seen peoples advise being completley dis-credited by others with downright bad advise. The problem is that the person asking the questions will gravitate to the answer that is the easiest solution or what they wanted to hear in the first place. Sometimes the correct answer is not the easiest solution. A good example is when I took a fair amount of time to explain setting up throttle servo/linkage. It was pointed out very quickly and rudely that my method was wrong although I have been a competitive IMAC pilot for 13 years. For the most part I have stopped advising here because it seems everytime I do I step on the toes of a self proclaimed big fish.
Bad advice? Rude? Really? Expecting others (who don't know you from Adam) to take your word as gospel is expecting a bit much, don't you think? You actually expect others not to ask questions or for explanations because you flew IMAC? Isn't that a lot like being a "self proclaimed big fish"? Who's calling this kettle black?

That exchange was meant to be conversational. My intent when asking about what you were saying was not meant to be rude at all? I was trying to learn why your results were so different than mine (and others) - and pointed that out at the time? As a matter of fact, if you'll think back we agreed the smaller engines (sub 30cc, which were the topic of that conversation) did not respond quite the way you had predicted they would? That your experience was limited to 50cc+? In this example, it was you sir, spreading "questionable" advise....

Rather than wander further off topic, if you feel you were correct within the context of that conversation, bring the string back up and we'll continue there?

Realizing this is off topic, but this exact thing has been the problem causing many discusions recently from guys having trouble here. This plan is almost guaranteed to lead to a WAY sensitive throttle stick, especiall just off the idle, making adding any kind of throttle adjustment during the short final/flare an exercize in correcting a big balloon in your landing.

The engine's power is not delivered in the same percentage relative to the throttle opening. The engine is making nearly full power at half open throttle! You need to compensate for that using your linkage geometry. See the diagrams in post #21 in the sticky at the top of the gas engines heading. Do NOT set your linkage up as above!

Maybe you should read it once again. I don't see any questions here. No you don't know me from Adam. Does that give you the right to dis-credit my advise? I only threw out some credentials when my experience was questioned. My entire post was not only about you, just that particular example as it was the lastest example I had been part of. I do not expect everyone to take my word as gospel, even after 35 years I am still learning however if something I say dosen't make sense maybe some questions were in order before you tell people to "Do NOT set your linkage up as above! " I doubt that if we were out at the field and you overheard me giving this advise that you would jump in and make the same comments.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:58 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

You go man, there is a couple of guys your age in my club and I love listening their advise. Keep it up

Old 04-24-2012, 05:22 PM
[email protected]

just got bjs on the enternet they are having somekind of>> health emergency and will be back soon allen
Old 04-24-2012, 05:25 PM
hairy46

Well I for one hope it can be an informed thread so I can learn learn learn more about the gas RC engine! Thanks Bob
Old 04-24-2012, 09:32 PM
ahicks

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Bad advice? Rude? Really? Expecting others (who don't know you from Adam) to take your word as gospel is expecting a bit much, don't you think? You actually expect others not to ask questions or for explanations because you flew IMAC? Isn't that a lot like being a ''self proclaimed big fish''? Who's calling this kettle black?

That exchange was meant to be conversational. My intent when asking about what you were saying was not meant to be rude at all? I was trying to learn why your results were so different than mine (and others) - and pointed that out at the time? As a matter of fact, if you'll think back we agreed the smaller engines (sub 30cc, which were the topic of that conversation) did not respond quite the way you had predicted they would? That your experience was limited to 50cc+? In this example, it was you sir, spreading ''questionable'' advise....

Realizing this is off topic, but this exact thing has been the problem causing many discusions recently from guys having trouble here. This plan is almost guaranteed to lead to a WAY sensitive throttle stick, especiall just off the idle, making adding any kind of throttle adjustment during the short final/flare an exercize in correcting a big balloon in your landing.

The engine's power is not delivered in the same percentage relative to the throttle opening. The engine is making nearly full power at half open throttle! You need to compensate for that using your linkage geometry. See the diagrams in post #21 in the sticky at the top of the gas engines heading. Do NOT set your linkage up as above!

Maybe you should read it once again. I don't see any questions here. No you don't know me from Adam. Does that give you the right to dis-credit my advise? I only threw out some credentials when my experience was questioned. My entire post was not only about you, just that particular example as it was the lastest example I had been part of. I do not expect everyone to take my word as gospel, even after 35 years I am still learning however if something I say dosen't make sense maybe some questions were in order before you tell people to ''Do NOT set your linkage up as above! '' I doubt that if we were out at the field and you overheard me giving this advise that you would jump in and make the same comments.

Yes, I did discredit your advice - after supplying information leading to the correct information along with an explanation pointing out why your information was wrong, but that conversation didn't end there, did it? We did go on to resolve our differences?

Supplying bad information is worse than supplying none..... Often people waste time and money only to find out they've been supplied with junk info. If I see it, I'll do my best to prevent it doing damage. I would do the same at the field!

Old 04-25-2012, 06:07 AM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

I "always" enjoy the gas engine forum. I look at it just about 1st after the swap pages. W8YE-Maxx-Pe offer a lot of great info. If they can't tell you, there is no need to know... Ralph is a great person full of info as well. But I have not seen him on lately and he did not answer my last two PM's. Brian
Old 04-25-2012, 06:48 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Well thanks for demonstrating my point, you have done more to back up my statements yourself then I would have been able to. Pretty sure it answers the OPs original question on why more people do not contribute to this forum. Just beause we have different methods does not make either one of us wrong. If you read through all of our exchanges you and others will clearly see that I have remained respectful and have not once made the statement that you are wrong and your way would not work whereas you have done both. The fact that I have multiple wins in the upper classes of IMAC clearly illistrates that my throttle curves do in fact work. One does not win in that competitive enviroment with equipment that is not set up correctly. I just can't see how you can argue with that kind of success although I'm sure you will try.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:33 PM
ahicks

The fact that I have multiple wins in the upper classes of IMAC clearly illistrates that my throttle curves do in fact work. One does not win in that competitive enviroment with equipment that is not set up correctly. I just can't see how you can argue with that kind of success although I'm sure you will try.
This clearly makes anything you say to us mere mortals more accurate than something written by say, Jedi Jody? Something known to work by those of us actually flying the sub 30cc engines in question all WRONG?

Please get over yourself. Buy and fly one of these smaller motors (that you admit you have NO experince with). Try both the throttle setups in question, then come back and tell us how your setup is so clearly superior using actual, current information on the relevant engine size (not possibly outdated info on 50+cc engines). Then call me out for warning others actually struggling with this problem when I see them supplied with bad/inaccurate information.

Until then, I'm done here.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:31 AM
RJStrickJR

Fellas! Fellas!...............

Lord have mercy! I just want to point out, although none of you know who I am, I have a 20CC DLE on a .60 size P47 and I have a 3W120CC on a 35% extra 260 and several inbetween. From what I have read a portion of what both of you are typing about pertains to both set ups! Small engines and larger engines. I pesonally like a full range on my left stick so I play around with not only the linkages but also the control horn attached to the carb's butterfly. None 2 are the same and all of my gassers are about the same but very diffrent to arrive at the full range of the left stick. I did not read a forum to discover this I used trial and error done what works for ME!!!

I think thats what this is all about. Is not right or wrong but what work for the individual set up for the individual pilot. That also applies to the individual plane and engine.

We simply explain what works for our application and when read, it's the user to decide what works for them.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:30 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Time for some POP CORN ! ! !
Old 04-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Ed

The conversation here use to be more mature. Recently, there have been too many wiseass inmature comments made by new people to the hobby, that have turned the older, and more knowledgeable people away. I blame it on the younger generation, and lack of respect for the knowledgeable people that were once here. IMHO Serves us right.

Ed
Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been here from the beginning and the hot heads and wise azz type have come and gone a few times over the years.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:39 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

captain, make enough for a couple of us.
w8ye, there's still a couple of us still hanging on here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.