Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Legal Stuff on Helis (question)

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Legal Stuff on Helis (question)

Old 04-25-2012, 10:07 AM
losthislove67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal Stuff on Helis (question)

ok, I am old and know but.... Long time back we used to mount little model rockets to the underside of our Helis. We used a spare servo/channel to trigger one on the igniters and fire them at each other in the air or at ground targets. And when we could we even used Roman Candles for multi-shot games. We even did this to our planes. Now I am told that doing so will get Big Brother(ATF/Homeland Sec) after you. Can anyone confirm or expand on this?

Chip

Old 04-25-2012, 11:07 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts
Default RE: Legal Stuff on Helis (question)

It's may or may not be legal where you live, but its definately against AMA rules so you can't do it and be covered under insurance.

Its not very bright in any case in light of the attention we are getting from the feds these days.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:24 PM
losthislove67

ok, Illuminate me on "the attention we are getting from the feds these days." Is it due to the frequencies we use? Or are they trying to classify all RCMs or just Helis as a threat? I am not being a "pest", I really and honestly want to know. My first radio set was an old Silver Seven and I changed it out when I went with the kids to the hobby store years and years ago and was informed that new FCC regs required it. Been phone ordering my supplies and mostly just the kids & I flying. So I am aware of every few years of being forced to change out your radio equip because new freq allotments, regs, signal encoding, etc. I am also a Ham Radio operator and we have not changed as much as RCMs have over the years. And I happen to live in Port Neches, Tx, which it literally right down the road from several different types of refineries.

Chip

Plus, It was a way to get my kids into RCMs is the fact they could "shoot" each others Heli, plane, or free flight. Now I wonder about my old CO2 powered BB gun based deck guns for my boats and subs. 
Old 04-25-2012, 01:26 PM
BarracudaHockey

It has nothing to do with freqencies or radio operations.

The FAA is in the process of clamping down on the NAS (National Airspace System) due to the proliferation of UAV's (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles). RC'ers are unfortunately getting lumped in to the mix so we are (correctly) portraying ourselves as begign users of the NAS, flying line of sight and not presenting issues to manned aircraft.

People flying FPV around the Statue of Liberty (or anywhere they don't have LOS on the plane), and this kind of stuff, doesn't help our case. It would surely grab the attention of DHS and the FAA both if some fool got himself on the news doing something like this or posting YouTube videos. It's the kind of attention that people that don't know any better would use to get us severely regulated or worse.

I won't even get into how bad an idea it is from a safety standpoint.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:27 PM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

i would think it would be more of a possible fire hazard i know if i tried this that old addage that says if it can happen it will (to me anyways) i would end up shooting someones eye out lol. i know theres somevids on  the tube showing a couple guys dualling in the air with bottle rockets. heck theres even some guys that mounted real guns on bigger scale heli's and shot em while hovering. there again if u have a ton of acreage and your out in the boonies  why not  just dont shoot your eye out lol.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:29 PM
BarracudaHockey

Since it's well outside the safety code, and its discussion has been historically removed from RCU by the admins, I'm going to put the brakes to this now.