Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 05:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ?

ORIGINAL: comstech

Is anyone using the wolf opto kill switch???
http://www.wolfmodels.net/Wolf%20Opto%20Kill%20.html

I have just received mine and can't get it to work, It is meant to be able to power the receiver and CDI from the one batt as it's optical isolation between the receiver and the CDI

But plugging the receiver lead in to my rx and putting a batt on the batt plug will not power up my RX not light any of the leds

Troy

Hi Troy,
I have three of them, mine have all been fine apart from one which had a faulty "ignition on" LED.(probably soldered on the wrong way)
Make sure your battery feed is ok volt wise and polarity of course. As for setting the ignition on I use the left round dialon a futaba 10 channel, when it goes past centre it's either on or off.
Did you get the wiring diagram with it? Double check all connections. Have you got it all hooked up? not just the batt feed?
Old 04-20-2012, 05:14 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Methinks you may have a misunderstanding? I read the link you supplied and see that it appears to be an IBEC? It runs (can run) on power supplied by the receiver? The battery lead would plug into the receiver if there's an extra port available, or into a Y leading to a servo if not.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:20 AM

ORIGINAL: iflywhenican

ORIGINAL: CAT POwer

I set the idle 1900 going to high rpm and back down3 or 4 than its 1600 or 2200 set idle again and do it all over again...........
never stay's the same.
On my DLE's, CRRC's, Z' i don't have these problems.

Sounds like you have a air leak somewhere. Check the tightness of the cylinder to case bolts...also make sure that there is a good seal there. I once ran across a problem like yours and found that the cylinder to case bolts were to long and was not letting the cylinder seal against the case...came from the factory that way. Engine was not a PTE.
Even though mine was tested by the Australian dealer, (which is great, mine was presented to me tested and running perfectly), I was still able to nip up almost all the bolts after a few hours run time, I'm not sure what gasket material is used but it seems to need the bolts checked after a run in. I have had that with a DLE also, one bolt was only finger tight.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:09 AM
Rocketman_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 3136

Hey Cat, and any one else, I found mine likes to be choked even when warm and it starts fine.
Mine has to be choked before every flight also. It will start on one flip only if shut down briefly for needle valve adjustments. It idles reliably at a little under 1700 RPM and consistently returns to that point after a throttle excursion.

Perhaps the earlier PTE36 engines were run before they were shipped so that any manufacturing flaws would be revealed. As in many manufacturing businesses, once the manufacturing bugs are worked out they no longer test each item off the line. They periodically pull an item off the line for testing and inspection to be sure that the required quality level is being maintained.

Even the big 8-engine Saturn first stage rocket boosters for the Apollo program were set up on a test stand and run before they were shipped to the cape to be mated with the upper rocket stages. Later in the program we sent them directly from the assembly plant to the cape to be launched without being tested. I would think that a little model engine containing three or four moving parts could be successfully manufactured and sold without each one being test run.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:20 AM
jmpups
My Feedback: (1)

I just purchassed one for a TBM 80" Val. It looks well made, all polished up. The reviews of the engine were all positive with no complaints. I am not a Chinese mfg fan, but the choices are really getting limited. I was going to use a Zenoah G38 that I have but it would not fit. I needed A rear carb and rear exhaust so the PTE36R fit the bill.JMPUPS
Old 04-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everybody wants to know top end numbers but what is the idle rpm figures? There is a lot to be said about an engines idle capabilities concerning carburation and porting.

I have jumped in on this forum without reading every post or page so forgive me if I am asking a question that has already been addressed. If not I would like to know what the idle RPM's are for this engine.

Looks like a nice little engine!

I see posted an Idle speed of 1700 rpm above. That is too high in my book. About 300 rpm minimum too high. There is no reason why a good running engine should not be able to idle down to 1400 rpm. Especially with electronic advance ignition. Of course fine tuning a gas engine requires many aspects.

There is nothing worse than someone bragging about the power their gasser has while listening to it sputter, miss, and burble in the low to midrange throttle areas.

SPEEDY
Old 04-23-2012, 01:52 AM
novayusa

ORIGINAL: Rocketman_

Hey 3136 and Mighty9 ,

Has Novayusa sent you any test results from the canister and header experiment that he promised to perform?

Hi Rocketman,

Sorry to make you wait for so long time. The experiment was done for a while. Ireport the result here for your reference.

Engine: MT35
Exhaust:1.novayusa pitts style muffler 2. novayusa 26-35CC canisterwith stanless flexible header
Propeller: FX18x8

The resultisshown as below:

Muffler header length Max. RPM
-
Pitts style 8100
NOVAYUSA Canister 325mm(full length) 7000
300mm 7170
275mm 7400
250mm 7680
225mm 8000

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87585.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1753952  
Old 04-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Rocketman_

novayusa,
Thank you very much for providing that interesting canister/flex header test data. The data as plotted below shows significant RPM increases for each 25mm (approx 1 inch) length reduction of the header. The header was shortened a total of 100mm (3.937 inches) and produced a 1000 RPM increase which falls slightly short of the 8100 RPM obtained with the Pitts style muffler.

So, the price for noise reduction is increased cost, increased weight, complex installation and some RPM loss. For those who fly in heavily populated areas it may be a requirement. Still, it may be better than stuffing restrictors in the stock muffler pipes.

Name:	Pn35622.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1754071  
Old 04-23-2012, 07:38 PM
novayusa

I'd like to do the further experiment with same engine,propeller and pitts style muffler but aluminium headers with same range of length to seewhat difference with stainless flexible headers today afternoon.Will post the result here also foryour reference.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:29 AM
Rocketman_

That will be another valuable test and I'm sure that all interested parties will be looking forward to seeing what effect the canister has on the engine's performance while it significantly reduces the noise.
Maybe your next test will satisfy our curiosity about the differences between a convoluted flexible header and a smooth header.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:20 AM
novayusa

ORIGINAL: Rocketman_

That will be another valuable test and I'm sure that all interested parties will be looking forward to seeing what effect the canister has on the engine's performance while it significantly reduces the noise.
Maybe your next test will satisfy our curiosity about the differences between a convoluted flexible header and a smooth header.
The result of RPM effective experiment between aluminium and stainless felexible header isshown as below:

Engine: MT35
muffler type: Stock muffler, Pitts style muffler, Canister with different length of header type
Propeller: FX 18x8

Muffler type header length RPM(aluminim)RPM(stainless flexible)
Stock muffler 7850
Pitts Style 8100
Canister325mm 7430 7000
300mm 75907170
275mm 7830 7400
250mm 8110 7680
225mm 8420 8000

Refer to the result above,We can see the stainless flexible header reduce engine RPM with canister much more thanaluminium header.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:01 AM
Rocketman_

novayusa,
Thank you for that test data and for the time and effort that you spent collecting it.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:42 PM

Novayusa, that's interesting, I was thinking maybe 200 rpm difference.

You might need to make one of these Rocket
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjybH...endscreen&NR=1
Old 04-25-2012, 06:16 PM
nefariousrc

Is this test data supposed to be representative of what this canister/header combo will do on the PTE36? What I know of larger 2stroke engine tuning tells me that even when displacement is identical two different manufactures engines are going to respond differently to the same exhaust because of squish, dome shape, exhaust port timing, etc. Also, heat in the exhaust changes performance. Keeping heat in the exhaust keeps the pressure wave moving quickly resulting in more top end (RPM) and cooling the exhaust will slow the wave down typically results in more bottom end grunt. Yes, I'm over simplifying but you get the picture. And again, my tuning experience from my days for tuning & racing jet ski's so I may not be applicable to these small engines.
Actually, I hope it's not because I'd love to shorten the header on my canister to help alleviate some weight from behind the CG point of my plane so I could remove some of the weight from the firewall.

Also, is that measurement including the flex section?

(here's a pic of the subject plane on it's maiden with the PTE36)

Name:	Us53869.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	1755020  
Old 04-25-2012, 06:28 PM
novayusa

I don't have a PTE36R on hand. So, I can't do the same experiment.
The header length measurement is from exhaust port to end of header including flex section.
The value of the experiment just for reference. Iknow different engine will cause different result because of their design and engine conditions like temperature....etc
Here Ihave the other small engine DLA32. Maybe Ican do it again if you guys have interesting to know the result.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:36 PM
nefariousrc

ORIGINAL: novayusa

I don't have a PTE36R on hand. So, I can't do the same experiment.
The header length measurement is from exhaust port to end of header including flex section.
The value of the experiment just for reference. Iknow different engine will cause different result because of their design and engine conditions like temperature....etc
Here Ihave the other small engine DLA32. Maybe Ican do it again if you guys have interesting to know the result.
Don't get me wrong... It's GREAT data. I'm just wondering why it's burried in this thread if it's of no relavance to the PTE36.

Also, I went back and looked but didn't see anything; do you have any plans to make a header for the PTE36?

Old 04-25-2012, 07:23 PM
novayusa

3136, maybe Ican shorter the header to 200mm to get the rpm value later. But Idon't know if the 200mm header can apply to airplane installation.

Good idea for the tube banding tool if Idon't have CNC tube banding machine in factory.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:28 PM
novayusa

The experiment just want to clearify the header length will effect engine RPM. The reason why in this thread because of we had discussed this project at here month ago.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:17 AM

ORIGINAL: nefariousrc

Is this test data supposed to be representative of what this canister/header combo will do on the PTE36? What I know of larger 2stroke engine tuning tells me that even when displacement is identical two different manufactures engines are going to respond differently to the same exhaust because of squish, dome shape, exhaust port timing, etc. Also, heat in the exhaust changes performance. Keeping heat in the exhaust keeps the pressure wave moving quickly resulting in more top end (RPM) and cooling the exhaust will slow the wave down typically results in more bottom end grunt. Yes, I'm over simplifying but you get the picture. And again, my tuning experience from my days for tuning & racing jet ski's so I may not be applicable to these small engines.
Actually, I hope it's not because I'd love to shorten the header on my canister to help alleviate some weight from behind the CG point of my plane so I could remove some of the weight from the firewall.

Also, is that measurement including the flex section?

(here's a pic of the subject plane on it's maiden with the PTE36)
Don't cut the header, I tried it and it has the opposite effect on the pte36 as it does on the mt35.
I was using a 3 blade biela and the rpm dropped and the db readings rose, maybe a 2 blade would behave differently, but that is the result I had.
Perhaps you could fit a U bend to the end of your header and flip your canister around if you need to move weight further forward.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:15 AM
Rocketman_

ORIGINAL: novayusa

... Here I have the other small engine DLA32. Maybe I can do it again if you guys have interesting to know the result.
novayusa,

Gathering more data points by testing multiple examples of an engine type and class is always helpful. I believe that anyone with an interest in canister mufflers and who has limited experience with them would appreciate any further effort on your part to enlighten us. Please perform the canister/header test with the DLA32 and publish your results here.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for others to contribute their findings on the subject just as 3136 has done for his PTE36R.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:14 PM
novayusa

Here Ihave MT35,DLA32,DLE30,DLE55,DLA56,JC60 and a converted 63CC engine from my friend. Let's start to do the same experiment for all of these engines to look what result we will have.
The experiment must be hold and complete in same day otherwise the weather condition effect the RPM value much. Ihave to arrange my staff and time for it. Please don't hurry me up. Thank you!
Old 04-29-2012, 05:14 AM
Rocketman_

ORIGINAL: 3136

... You might need to make one of these Rocket
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjybH...endscreen&NR=1
lol@that fan belt pulley tube bender
Thanks 3136, now send me lessons on welding aluminum so I can make a nice header after bending the tube.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:15 PM
gwweber
My Feedback: (24)

I have a PTE36 in my Great Planes Ultimate160. Tell you what, it is the best running and easiest to start gasser i have. When cold turn it choked 10 times and it fires right up. warmed up flip it three times and its good to go.
I however have had an issue with the muffler. It is loud and finally it fell apart. The tubes just came out of the can. Hope TBM treats me right!
HOWEVER I LOVE THE MOTOR AND AM STILL HAPPY!!! Just need a better muffler.

Oh Yeah Lots of power!
Old 05-04-2012, 04:23 PM
gunny11
My Feedback: (6)

Was that the newer muffler or the older muffler.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:28 PM
gwweber
My Feedback: (24)

not sure   it was the fail muffler however    just got the motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.