Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

batteries and chargers?????

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

batteries and chargers?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 11:59 AM
gravediggers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default batteries and chargers?????

i am newbie, what would be a good charger and batteries for my lt 40????? rite now i have a 6 volt i think in there a friend gave me to get the plane flying..we charged it at the field.. that is fine, but want my own when i learn to fly solo.. thanks in advance, jim
Old 04-26-2012, 01:13 PM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: batteries and chargers?????

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._GENUINE_.html

Cheap as chips and will charge the latest batterys available, also will let you charge at the field or at home.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: gravediggers

i am newbie, what would be a good charger and batteries for my lt 40????? rite now i have a 6 volt i think in there a friend gave me to get the plane flying..we charged it at the field.. that is fine, but want my own when i learn to fly solo.. thanks in advance, jim
Man, aren't you a lucky guy.. living right there where an AWESOMEevent takes place every year.. Ihope you go to it!!

Old 04-29-2012, 06:17 AM
flyboy9994

Jeeezzz... Batteries and chargers! Get ready for a flood of info. I've spent hours doing research and am still confused but I did learn one thing... Keep it simple especially if you are just getting started.

I'm personally just sticking with the factory 4.8v, 1500 mah receiver battery and wall charger for my Nexstar trainer. However, I will soon be switching to a 6 volt set-up as I'll be using digital high torque servos in my next few planes. (yes I already have at least 3 more planes in the works). My DX6i transmitter uses alkaline AA's which is perfect for now but will likely change to rechargeable batteries later on.

I haven't found it necessary yet to charge at the field but will definitely be looking into this in the near future. I'm looking hard at the charger that raydar listed in the above post (thanks raydar!)

Can you just copy what your friend does at the field for now if it is working?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:13 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: flyboy9994

...I'm personally just sticking with the factory 4.8v, 1500 mah receiver battery and wall charger for my Nexstar trainer. ...My DX6i transmitter uses alkaline AA's which is perfect for now but will likely change to rechargeable batteries later on
You would do well to get a new setup at your earliest convenience, flyboy9994:

"While a Spektrum receiver’s minimum operational voltage is
3.5 volts, test your model to a minimum acceptable voltage of
4.8 volts during ground testing. This battery charge capacity
compensates for discharge during flight or for flight loads larger
than ground test loads.

CAUTION: We recommend that you DO NOT fly a model
with battery charges at less than 5.3-volts."

Spektrum DX6i owners' manual, page 20

The owners' manual basically states that you should either run a 6.0v receiver battery, or stop and recharge your 4.8v receiver battery to maximum peak charge after every flight.

I hope you find this information useful. Good luck and good shopping!
Old 05-01-2012, 12:14 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: raydar

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._GENUINE_.html

Cheap as chips and will charge the latest batterys available, also will let you charge at the field or at home.
Yup... decent charger.

The Turnigy four port chargers are not that much more, and use exactly the same electronics x4.

All are based upon the iMax B6 chargers, that are the basis for Venom, E-Flight, Hitec and others.

Heck even the manuals are interchangeable.