Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

H9 Spitfire Build

Old 10-03-2011, 04:24 PM
maverick11359

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9 Spitfire Build

G'day spitfire66,
             just checked your radio manual spitfire66  JRsx600  and it tells nothing about  mixing aux flap channels..only mixing for delta wing etc..

Unfortunately  I don't think you will be able to have down elevator trim mixed in when flaps are deployed using that radio.....You are going to have to try to hold slight down elevator in manually  when descending.  . ...

Just a thought   !!    When I  trim my models I trim for level flight  at full throttle .Some people like level flight  trimmed  at 3/4 throttle ,which means as you throttle up you climb.... If you trim your spit as i do pulling back to 3/4 throttle  will make you automatically descend  which will help when you then deploy flaps.......Personally I deploy flaps at around  3/4  to   2 / 3  throttle and on  down wind leg and then down to 1/2 throttle on up wind leg on final  steep descend , once past the thresh hold  throttle goes down as I previously explained..    
Old 10-04-2011, 06:51 AM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks everyone for the great advise. I am going to put the finishing touches on right now and see if I can't go fly a little today. I just got out of bed (had to work late last night) and feel little behind in my day already. Trimming for nose down at lower throttle settings may just work out great. I will try it.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:06 PM
spitfire66

Flew the spit late this evening after I got it all fixed up and had a excellent first flight. The dle was zinging the prop and it was Fast!!! I practiced some low approaches before attempting the landing and the first landing went great. I kept the power on just a little bit until about a foot above the ground which left the airplane fast. I had a beautiful first landing. I took the airplane up again and had a good flight, but on landing it dropped just a little bit, maybe the last 6 inches and broke the opposite retract out. I think it was weakened after the last one and although I checked, I think it was very weak. I am pretty sure that if I was to do the exact thing again there wouldn't have been any problem. So that being said, I am regluing the retract mount and should be up and running when my next day off comes around. I am not worried about landing anymore now that I have a better picture of what it is supposed to look like. Kind of reminds me of the old P-51 mustang clip where the guy comes in real hot and bounces the thing all the way down the runway. Some of you may know what I'm talking about. Thanks everyone!
Old 10-04-2011, 06:24 PM
maverick11359

Good to Hear you had success  Spitfire66  ,

It's hard keeping the speed up, but it seems to be the only way to stop tip stalling as your about to touch down... 
Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 PM
spitfire66

Hello Everyone!

I am going to order a Dave Brown spinner and was wondering if most have ordered the parabolic (p-51 style) or the standard style for your spit?
Old 01-26-2012, 12:21 AM
maverick11359

G'day Spitfire66,
 good to hear your still flying your spit, I only have a cheap white plastic scale like spinner on the front of  mine purchased from same place i purchased the electric retracts.Its not exactly parabolic but similar in shape ,I like it because it weighs virtually  nothing ... I've been flying my old House Of Balsa 46  Extra L which i stripped of paint and completely recovered in profilm ,that made it a virtual new aircraft being a lot lighter and faster. I find i need to fly it as well as the Spit or I mentally become exhausted by just flying the spit . The Extra L can take off and land  as a no brainer ,,just throw the thing into any aerobatic maneuver  you can think of from knife edge to 4 point rolls etc. at half throttle ...Luv it.. 

Old 04-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Warwix
My Feedback: (1)

Hey all,

I've been wanting to post about my Spit for a while now, so I finally took a camera to the field today and snapped some pictures to share.

Ialways like to make changes to the cookie cutter ARF to make them stand out in the crowd, especially when it comes to warbirds. With this Spitfire, Isought out a full scale replica and did my best to follow the layout and trim scheme as best I could without altering the airframe. In the end, Iam very pleased with the final result and she looks gorgeous in the air. Some of the cosmetic changes include:
    [*]Updated cowl from Hangar 9[*]Removal of the yellow on the leading edge of the wings (from the research I did, Ifound that they only started doing that on Mk IV and later)[*]Removed the stock fuselage lettering for a more scale version in both size and location (new lettering is just ultracote)[*]Added gun ports in each wing[*]Added nomenclature around the plane in different areas[*]Minor weathering, mainly in the gun and exhaust area as well as a light paint chip effect. (my first weathering and airbrush attempt)[*]Entire airframe was covered in 3 coats of Lustercote Flat Clear paint to seal in all the detail and kill the stock shine.[/list]Under the cowl is a Saito 100 using a 90 degree muffler adapter that did a very good job of keeping it hidden. Taken from posts in this thread, Iadded the vent at the bottom back side of the cowl as well as opened up the dummy exhaust stacks for more air flow. As with my other Saitos, I put a velocity stack on the carb to assist fuel consumption. An Electrodynamics on-board glow system is utilized on a switch setup to keep things easy and clean. I am currently using Rich's Brew 25% nitro/20% oil (5%castor/15%synthetic blend) that Ipicked up at Toledo this year and Iam extremely impressed with the performance (and price, only $18 a gallon!). Last Ichecked Iwas topping out at 9500 rpm (9300 flying rich) on a 14x7x3 MAS prop held in place by a Tru-Turn 3.5" P-51 style spinner.

In typical Hangar 9 fashion, their airframes are great but their hardware package is almost throw away. Idecided to upgraded the fuel tank to a 20oz Dubro tank with a fuel dot, as well as upgrading the rudder and elevator pushrods to 4-40 and ball links for better control. I still plan on upgrading the aileron linkages later this season, but currently they are the stock 2-56 size. The last big upgrade went into replacing the horrible stock music wire that is used for the landing gear. After a few heavy landings last season, they bent to the point that there were not even worth bending back. I decided to upgrade to Robart robostruts, using the stock tires and stock retracts utilizing a Hitec 75BB retract servo. The end result is a much smoother taxi, takeoff, and landing and Iam very happy that I invested in them.

The brains of the operation is a Hitec Optima 7 Rx and Aurora 9 Tx which I have absolutely fallen in love with after upgrading fromSpektrum around this time last year.

Like others have mentioned in this thread, Idid run into many of the same issues associated with this airframe. Iglassed and reinforced the firewall before it could give me any issues. My final CG was right around 4 7/8" from the leading edge, using only the Rx battery as the counter weight. I also used washers to shim the back side of the retract to rake the gear forward making taxing much easier.

All in all, Ihaven't had many hours with this plane yet, but after being out of commission multiple times last year, the few times I have flown her this season has really gotten me excited for the weather to break. Iwill hopefully have some pics/vids of her in action in the near future.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:59 PM
maverick11359

Very Very nice!

Love the dull paint finish ,luv the detail you put in to the gun ports in each wing .. Couple of questions .. With yourSaitos, you put a velocity stack on the carb to assist fuel consumption. I've often wondered if they make a difference, do think their worth the cost over the improvement?

Have you had any issues with the 90 degree exhaust adaptor (knuckle) on the saito yet ? I'm on my second adapter, i found the first snapped off flush on the thread going in to the crankcase. So I now support the muffler with a small block of ply glued in the back of the engine bay and siliconed up against the mufflers back ( to support the weight and let it still vibrate) . I also have issues with the muffler on my saito 125 always co
mingloose at its joints, so I now use Locktite 272 which seems to work , which will only can come undone if I apply a gas torch to it .

I'm amazed at the high nitro in your blend of fuel . I make my own fuel .. 17% Klotz synthetic oil ,10% Nitro, 73% Methanol , But at the moment I'm considering uping the oil because I'm replacing the bearings in my Saito 82awhich has only done around 150 hours. So far the Saito 125 has no issues but its only about 20 hours old in my Spit.

Love your Spit keep us up to date with more pics..
Old 04-26-2012, 04:08 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Warwix, just a bit of advice on your choice of retract servo; the HS75BB will not handle the extra weight of your up grade to Robart struts. The Hitec retract servo will fail, burn out due to not having enough torque to raise the gear against the slip stream forces when flying.

Your best retract servo to use is the JRPS791. The Hitec is rated at 92-114 oz inch torque while the JR is rated at 260 oz inch torque. The JR may be twice the price of the Hitec but you will never have to replace it due to failure like the Hitec. You will be lucky to get 10 retractions with the Hitec, before it fails. I replaced the Hitec with the JR on my H9 Spitfire two years ago, it has 50+ retractions and I have never ever had a problem with it since installation,I also have the Robart Struts installed.

You have a very clean looking engine, muffler installation on your Spitfire, and the 3 bladed prop really tops it off, I like, I like it a lot. Good luck, and have a very safe and pleasant flying season with your Spitfire.

Roger
Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Plus one on the servo advice.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:56 AM
wingco

That looks really nice Warwix. I agree with the retracts servo info given here. I flew my H9 spit with Robarts and found that BMS136 MG (apparently it'll lift 6.1kg's) worked just fine. Important to check the linkages as those stock retracts can be very moody and wear at a rate of knots with the heavier struts.
One tip I would suggest that doesn't cost anything is to take the canopy off and remove about 1/4 inch of the green plastic all the way round the edge. This lowers the canopy when its back in situ and does wonders for the overall profile. The stock item looks a bit like a Model T ford wind shield! I'll try to upload some shots of it. The shot on the left is the stock item, the one on the right is modified
Happy flying
Wingco
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50353.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1755156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22316.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1755157  
Old 04-26-2012, 04:57 AM
wingco

How clever, wrong one! These are the post mod pix

cheers
Old 04-26-2012, 05:17 AM
wingco

having trouble uploading pix, hope this works. If not go to my gallery (if you're interested!)
Wingco
Old 04-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Warwix

Thanks all for the kind words and advice.

Maverick -
    [*]Iput the velocity stacks on my Saitos after reading the reports on the forums that they tend to gather the fuel more efficiently off of the spray bar. Idon't think Iwill ever get around to testing if they do in fact work, but Istill think they look cool on there, haha.[*]Ihave had no issues so far with the 90 degree adaptor. Iuse RTV high temp silicone on all my muffler installations to keep them tight and dry for the length of the engine with very good results. I remember reading about your adapter shearing off but Idecided to take the risk and hope for the best.[*]Saito engines really thrive on a high nitro content. There is actually a quote from a Horizon Hobby employee that says their pilots have seen the best results using 30% heli fuel, giving the most reliable idle and the best WoT rpms. While Ihave always wanted to run 30% nitro, price has always brought me back to earth and I end up using 15 to 20%. But while at the Toledo show this year, I took a chance and bought a couple gallons of 25% nitro/20% oil fromRich's Brew and Ihave gotta say that is just runs like crazy. High nitro content, and Ireally like the oil blend that they offer as Idon't care for straight synthetic. But at only $18 a gallon (possibly a deal for the show) Ihad to go for it and I'm glad Idid. Mix up some higher nitro fuel and give it a whirl. Saitos don't sip the stuff, but they really really like it![/list]ForcesR & Lifer -
      [*]Thanks for the heads up on the retract servo and I will keep a watchful eye on it even thought it has never shown any signs of struggle so far. Hopefully the stock foam wheels that Iam still using have kept the weight down enough to be usable. My H9 Mustang that is a year older but with many more flights on it is still using the 75BB without a hitch, even thought it is using the complete stock retracts setup, but it is food for thought. On the topic of retract servos, Ihave been keeping my eye out for some first hand info on the Spektrum A7000. While it boasts a higher torque rating, the part that really got my attention was the fact that it is a proportional retract servo that can utilize end point adjustment using a computer radio as well as use the servo slow function adding more realism to the rather clunky mechanical retracts. I started a thread on RCU a couple months ago with mixed results so Iam hoping to hear more soon.[/list]Wingco-
        [*]Iactually have 2 cracked canopies for the Spit (Horizon Hobby is the best at replacing damaged or warantee parts) that Iwas going to experiment with about lowering the canopy. Ihave to agree that the second picture definitely give a better look than the stock version. My only dilemma is that I like using button head screws in areas that Imight want to access again (canopy/retracts) so I may have already put too many holes in spots that won't get covered up by a shortened cowl. But thanks for the tip![/list]Pictures of my H9 Warbirds (Mustang is a 60 size "Marie" bash) and the only current picture of the Spit in action.

Name:	Lj23597.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	1755334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10710.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1755335  
Old 04-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Lifer

A quick follow-up on the A7000 servo; I like it so much I have replaced almost all my retract servos with this product. I set it for a 6-second cycle and it looks really cool!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:40 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Lifer, you using Stock retracts? I tried the 7000 Servo and it didn't have the torque to raise my modified heavier retract Set Up I have on my Spit, I was looking forward to a more scale like movement, win some and lose some.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:36 AM
Lifer

Stock retracts but am using a LIFE battery so the servo sees 6.6 volts.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:24 PM
maverick11359

Warwix,
I use black colored Silicon to attach my Canopies , never screws..It never lets go, just use masking tape to hold it down on fuse for 24 hours will drying. Easy to use a hobby knife on the silicon to remove if needed..Clean up fuselage heat film around canopy with acetone . Also the canopy on the H9 spit really needs to go back towards the rear stab as much as possible. Unfortunatley to be true scale that rear canopy window on the Spitfire sits behing the rear trailing edge of the wing. I have mine closer to scale but I see a little bit of the fuselage ( painted flat black) through the side of the clear canopy window. It shoud be around 3/4" back further than on the manual positioning.. I have mine only 3/8"back,looks closer but not perfect..
Old 07-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Warwix

Had a great outing at our clubs annual open house air show, putting on a wirbird demo for the crowd. Got some nice pictures so I figured I would share them. Plenty more on our club website http://www.michigansignalseekers.org/

Name:	Rp43908.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1781538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18486.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	1781539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89377.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	1781540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47932.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	1781541  
Old 07-13-2012, 02:41 PM
maverick11359

Looks brilliant Warwix . Great pics.  Happy flying.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:08 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone modified the landing gear on this plane with Robart Robo Struts?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 07-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Warwix

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

Thanks,

Bob
Yep, myself and others have done just that. Many have gone ahead and swapped out both the stock retract mechanical mechanism along with the stock struts. Idecided to stay with the stock mechanical retracts and modify them to accept 3/16" music wire and then used the Robart 3/8" straight robostrut (part 650). To keep the weight gain to a minimum, Ikept the stock foam wheels as well which has allowed me to continue the use of my retract servo without any issues as of this date. If you do decide to upgrade to the robostruts, be ready to also modify the stock wheel wells as they won't allow the new struts to retract flush into the wing. There are multiple posts as well as pictures if you look back through this thread, but the bottom line is that anyone that decided to upgrade the struts has gained a great deal of reliability in the planes ability to taxi, take off and land.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:54 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks,

Bob

They're on all my H9s.

Name:	Lj22868.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1781873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92696.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	1781874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67010.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1781875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12160.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1781876  
Old 07-14-2012, 01:55 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, Warwix,

My Spit had a little landing accident so while I was in the process of repairing I decided to modify the stock LG and put in the 3/16" struts. It has a JR landing gear servo already. I haven't seen any posts on modifying the LG wheel wells. If you happen to have any links, I'd be happy to get them but don't go to any trouble - only if they happen to be right at hand.

I'm ready to install the Robostruts but the wheel well liners were destroyed in the accident and aren't replaceable, so I wanted to see how others tackled the problem before I go off destroying things on my own...

Thanks for the reply!

Bob
Old 07-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Warwix

Thanks, Warwix,

My Spit had a little landing accident so while I was in the process of repairing I decided to modify the stock LG and put in the 3/16" struts. It has a JR landing gear servo already. I haven't seen any posts on modifying the LG wheel wells. If you happen to have any links, I'd be happy to get them but don't go to any trouble - only if they happen to be right at hand.

I'm ready to install the Robostruts but the wheel well liners were destroyed in the accident and aren't replaceable, so I wanted to see how others tackled the problem before I go off destroying things on my own...

Thanks for the reply!

Bob
I took the stock wheel well liners and cut out the bottom where the wheels end up, exposing the inside of the wing and allowing the depth to increase. I glassed the now exposed balsa on the underside of the wing and extended the wheel wells down to that area with balsa strips, and then glassed that area. A bit of sanding and primer gray and Ithink it ended up looking pretty good.

Name:	Tq48885.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1781891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87266.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1781892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10190.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1781893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39511.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1781894  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.