Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

changing connectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 03:31 PM
gmeyer-RCU
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing connectors

What would be best and safest for the soldering challenged I have a tower hobbies foam super sportster I bought supertigre batteries for it and they really did not work out well it I am going to buy some new batteries with a different connector should I.
A) change the connector on all the batteries
B) just change the connector on the speed control
C) change the speed control because I am going to buy the batteries from hobby king a speed control should not be that expensive and I will get one with the right connector
Thank you Greg
Old 04-26-2012, 04:04 PM
hetr

Default RE: changing connectors

my VOTE goes with A) change the battery connector - to hobby king xt60's - on any batteries you have
AND
B) change the esc connector to the xt60

these XT60's offer a good grip for undoing, there is no chance of mixing polarity, and are great to work with.
the HK batteries now come with the xt60's installed - so you'll only need to change the connector on the esc

they are very reasonable - $3.19/pkg 5 pairs

AND while slightly above "soldering challenged" but hating soldering on the deans type l find the XT60's a real gem to work with. very easy and trouble free. tin the wires of course. heat and melt a blob of solder into the socket of the connectors. then just heat up enought to melt the solder - pop the wire end into the socket, hopefully contacting the side of the connector as well, and let cool. that's it.
except remember to solder only 1 exposed end at a time - do not allow exposed battery ends to touch!!!!

AND - remember to use heat shrink tubing - placed on the wires first. the XT60's actually have a little pocket recessed into the molding to allow the heat shrink to seat deeper. No chance of even a hint of the terminal or solder being left exposed.
when you order the connectors you can buy heat shrink (4mm) in 1 metre lengths in red and black for like .35 cents each.

virtually everybody in our club has switched over to the xt60's - we like them that much
(and it makes it really easy to share batteries with others if/when the need arises for "some" reason.

l was always hesitant to solder the deans but had no qualms when switching over to the xt60's.

you will be glad you switched - if you do.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:17 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For me, the easiest to solder are bullet connectors. I have a fancy piece of paper on the wall that says I can solder and I hate soldering Dens. Depending on where you get the batteries, they may come with all sorts of connectors. I get the batteries from hobbypartz so they come with the 4.0 bullets. The bullets also do not need any shrink tube.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-10225.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_set_.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-1300-3s1p.html

Buzz.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:56 AM
cubaneight

Don't forget that when soldering XT60s, make sure they're plugged together as a pair while you do it (not to a battery of course!!) If you do happen to slightly overheat the plastic, the pins will remain in alignment while things cool off again.

BTW, many of the Hobby King Lipos have gone over to bullet style connections for the larger sizes.