Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Help choosing another rc

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:07 AM
Glassart007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help choosing another rc

Ok, looking to get out of mini scale, so first off let me say that I got into minis because tha parts were just too expensive. But the minis just don't handle the real world offroad conditions. Definitely has to be 4wd, and price and parts price has to be in a lower range, especially parts. I'm looking at electric brushless. Matters not whether trigger or buggy. But I don't want a cheapie. Just affordable parts, and aftermarket support. I really like a car that handles and is driveable. I usually bulletproof my rc, so anything that can get me closer to that is great. I would not be past buying a monster, but I'd want to re gear it and add buggy wheels and tires. I don't like the rollovers or the rotating mass.

Idk if there's such a vehicle out there, but if there is, chime in.

Dont really prefer traxxas but it could happen.

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Help choosing another rc

Jammin SCRT10 or Thunder Tiger MT4 would be my picks depending on budget and whether you want a short course or a real all rounder. Both are virtually indestructible and have cheap parts.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:30 PM
mycarisaser

$420 for a 1/8th scale truggy. Throw in a set of the hardened gears for $9 eash and you have a solid truck. Its the hpi trophy truggy flux. The cost of parts is cheap and again its a solid and fast rtr rc truggy.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Glassart007

Really liking the flux trophy vehicles, how long have they been out??

Are most of the parts the same as the trophy 3.5???

If anyone has others, please chime in. 

Don't really care for the thunder tiger, too monster, yuck!
Old 04-27-2012, 02:56 AM
mycarisaser

The trophy truggy flux has been out over a year in Europe but only since February in the USA.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:57 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

after reading http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11015096/tm.htm I wouldn't recommend the trophy truggy to anyone

The SCRT10 isn't too bad
if you are on a budget, and don't mind a kit/DIY project you can get the Jammin crt.5 for $79 off ofna's warehouses site, the SCRT10's motor mount($20), and battery box kit($13), a HW 60A BL setup, servo, 14t OFNA mod1 pinion($11), and FS radio and probably be under $240 with it built (will have to drill 3 holes in the chassis to mount the battery box). Its 1/12th but it's roughly the same size as my 1/10th scale Tamiya buggy, and can drive where ever it can too. Can also go buy 1/8th scale adapters and fling 1/8th scale buggy rims on it. Only parts I ever really broke were the C-hubs, steering bell, and knuckles but STRC sells CNC versions really affordable. Steering I only broke after a very nasty crash which snapped an arm clean in half when it was pretty damn cold out(also the trucks was 2 years old when it broke). The knuckles, and c-hubs I broke on the 2nd run when I 1st built it, but most ppl that owned one said I was in the minority of problems with that part [:@]
The SCRT10, and crt.5 are essentially the same thing the SCRT10 has like a 1 inch longer wheel base than the crt.5, and SCRT10 parts fit the crt.5
Old 04-27-2012, 10:37 AM
mycarisaser

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

after reading http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11015096/tm.htm I wouldn't recommend the trophy truggy to anyone
Its one guy that had issues. I and a few others have them its a great truck. I have been into RC trucks for about 14 years now. I have had a ton of them. For the money the tuggy flux is a great rc truck. Its an electric conversion of the hotbodies lightening stadium which has been proven to be a tough truggy.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:03 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: mycarisaser

Its one guy that had issues. I and a few others have them its a great truck. I have been into RC trucks for about 14 years now. I have had a ton of them. For the money the tuggy flux is a great rc truck. Its an electric conversion of the hotbodies lightening stadium which has been proven to be a tough truggy.
well if you look in the thread its 2-3 actually, and they put a lot into trying to fix the flaws

it seems they used cheaper metal than on the hotbodies version, as in the ones posting there had to get the lightnings diffs cause the HPI ones for the truck kept breaking
Seems the same thing went on with the bullet in the manufacturing from the GT10 from what I seen people post on that
Old 04-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Eman77

The SCRT10 isn't too bad
if you are on a budget, and don't mind a kit/DIY project you can get the Jammin crt.5 for $79 off ofna's warehouses site, the SCRT10's motor mount($20), and battery box kit($13), a HW 60A BL setup, servo, 14t OFNA mod1 pinion($11), and FS radio and probably be under $240 with it built (will have to drill 3 holes in the chassis to mount the battery box). Its 1/12th but it's roughly the same size as my 1/10th scale Tamiya buggy, and can drive where ever it can too. Can also go buy 1/8th scale adapters and fling 1/8th scale buggy rims on it. Only parts I ever really broke were the C-hubs, steering bell, and knuckles but STRC sells CNC versions really affordable. Steering I only broke after a very nasty crash which snapped an arm clean in half when it was pretty damn cold out(also the trucks was 2 years old when it broke). The knuckles, and c-hubs I broke on the 2nd run when I 1st built it, but most ppl that owned one said I was in the minority of problems with that part [:@]
The SCRT10, and crt.5 are essentially the same thing the SCRT10 has like a 1 inch longer wheel base than the crt.5, and SCRT10 parts fit the crt.5
I keep coming back to that Ofna Jammin CRT.5. What an awesome deal. I wasn't even looking for anything and might end up getting it.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:33 PM
mycarisaser

ORIGINAL: mycarisaser

well if you look in the thread its 2-3 actually, and they put a lot into trying to fix the flaws

it seems they used cheaper metal than on the hotbodies version, as in the ones posting there had to get the lightnings diffs cause the HPI ones for the truck kept breaking
Seems the same thing went on with the bullet in the manufacturing from the GT10 from what I seen people post on that
The diff gears are the same as the hotbodies ones. Hotbodies just made an upgrade hardened metal gears. The gears are only $9 . This I posted in my first post in this thread. Upgrade diff gears and your good. Again this IS THE SAME truck as the LST but made for electric
Old 04-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Glassart007

I've really looked at the CRT.5 a lot, I'll look again. 

I know that issues can really be blown up by people on the net, often exaggerated. But I also know that when I got my first vendetta, and asked here, the only comment was get one. I really love my dettas, and have 4 left after selling some off. 

A solid car should have no complaints. If its good to go, with a couple upgrades, I'm interested!

Thanks, and please carry on!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:05 AM
Foxy

A friend of mine has the Trophy Truggy, but the nitro version. I'm sorry to say its a bad RC, badly designed and assembled and poor choices for materials in many areas. I like HPI stuff generally, in fact another friend bought a nitro Bullet MT at the same time and its been great. I wouldn't recommend the truggy to anyone though.

If you are going to buy a cheap truggy, get a Jammin X1 or X2 and convert it to brushless.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:47 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

A friend of mine has the Trophy Truggy, but the nitro version. I'm sorry to say its a bad RC, badly designed and assembled and poor choices for materials in many areas. I like HPI stuff generally, in fact another friend bought a nitro Bullet MT at the same time and its been great. I wouldn't recommend the truggy to anyone though.
seems a few of HPI's newer RC's are suffering from poor material choices in certain areas. I know the recon suffers badly from it in 5 locations in particular(diff's, piece that holds the arm on in the front, shock towers, rims, motor mount).
Or like in the bullet flux they put too small of an ESC/motor on it and it overheats.

If you are going to buy a cheap truggy, get a Jammin X1 or X2 and convert it to brushless.
+1 there
things are tanks on wheels, and conversion isn't that hard(or expensive) either
or like I said convert a crt.5 if they want something around 1/10th scale in size that can be fully assembled for under $250
Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Glassart007

Why are those ofnas so inexpensive???
Are they soon to be disco'd
Old 04-30-2012, 10:13 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Glassart007

soon? I think it was about to be discontinued a while back, and parts were a ROYAL PITA to find... TILL the Jammin SCRT came out then parts became easy to get, and aftermarkets appeared (seeing they share parts). From what I seen in old posts it seems it didn't do well due to price, and lack of comparable RC's in the relative size seeing it was sold as a race machine. Now throw in a electric motor mount, and some parts you get a good electric RC.
Hell 2 years ago the plastic C-hubs were going for $20(now they are like $4) a set, now you can get the CNC ones for $25(they were $75 a set)
Old 05-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Glassart007

What part do they not share, i dont want a problem, and when was the scrt released?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:14 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

I'm with Foxy, the TT MT4 G3 is a great truck.  Monster Truck or Truggy, just a few minor adjustments away.

Handles great, fantastic durability, easy to work on, relatively cheap.  Shares parts with the ST-1 and EB4, so parts are easy to come by.  Great thing about the MT4 is, you don't need parts very often.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:23 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

What part do they not share, i dont want a problem, and when was the scrt released?
SCRT was like a year ago I think
shock towers(the jammins are aluminum, and thick as 1/8th scale buggies), chassis(again thick as the 1/8th scales), and center driveshafts, bumper (2 different styles are included in the box), and wing mount. Just checked tower the parts they don't share are still sold(except the chassis), and in stock(they are also uncommon things to break).
Old 05-02-2012, 12:10 AM
Foxy

Because they are totally focussed on durability where it's needed and no frills. Even when they are discontinued, they share so many parts you will never have a problem finding a solution. Take the Hyper 7 as an example though, in the market virtually unchanged for over 10 years!!! And still selling well.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:09 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Because they are totally focussed on durability where it's needed and no frills. Even when they are discontinued, they share so many parts you will never have a problem finding a solution. Take the Hyper 7 as an example though, in the market virtually unchanged for over 10 years!!! And still selling well.
there is also the jammin x1x CR Its been out so long they are on the 3rd gen(they dropped the jammin name, and just call it the x3), and the original is still up for sale, and sells out all the time. Hell they took the original jammin X1x cr and made the electronic NEXX 8 from it a year ago.

Also like said a lot of the hong nor's share parts. Take the Jammin SCRT the side rails are off the jammin X2 truggy, and a pile of parts off the .5crt. and the majority of the X2 parts work on my X1 crt so with how they recycle parts I doubt parts will dry up soon
I'm guessing the real way they keep their kits so cheap is by the massive reuse of parts. They have to only put minimal effort into R&D, and don't design 100% new parts just for the sake of it so they can reuse the old molds.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Glassart007

Sweet thanks for the input