Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

glassing smal parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 11:10 AM
buchtes
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glassing smal parts

how do you fiberglas small parts, as Tail Wheel Doors etc. with small hinges? Are there any tricks?
Thinking on using .75 oz Cloth and Z-poxy, this is my first attempt on glassing a model.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:18 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: glassing smal parts

I lay the part on something so it is supported off the table. Lay the cloth on and brush on some epoxy. You may have to hold it in you hand to get the epoxy on the part but put it back on the supporting object to cure. I usually don't get to anal with having the minimum amount of epoxy on small items as the weight difference is not all that great. You can sand a small surface quickly to remove the excess. With that said, I dislike sanding, so I try to get the minimum on the first time.

Ken
Old 04-24-2012, 01:50 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like what Ken says!

Sometimes if it is really small I just use fiberglass and CA. I spread the CA with a mixing stick. Typically finish in a few minutes and ready for sanding and primering.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:58 PM
superlouis555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently used CA glue for the first time, on a fiberglass fuselage that had a small crack. Two layers of 5 oz. glass with gap-filling CA. I used my fingers to spread it evenly and then sprayed it with insta-set. It workes great.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:46 PM
juanjulian
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For small parts think is best to use polyurthane water base. You make less of mess.

Recently covered a small jet and started with epoxy and finished with PU water based(minwax brand).

Try it before in some smples to master the technic.