Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Loving the AE .2cc with video

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 08:54 AM
nitroairplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loving the AE .2cc with video

I recently put in a bid for this AE .2cc not expecting to win it.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3307168514...#ht_500wt_1204
I ended up winning it for 1/2 of what I payed for the .1cc it arrived today and I decided to mount it and try to run it.
My expectations were low becasue of my experinces with the AE .1cc but I was pleasantly surprised.
I played around until compression felt abotu right then set the needle to what the manual recommends and then filled it up and primed.
And guess what, first try it went I was really surprised.
Here is a video of it running kinda shakily at first but it runs smoother at the end.
I think I may have to fly this one, maybe on the FMK rainbow instead of the Clan .24cc.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPES65dicIQ[/youtube]
Old 04-28-2012, 09:56 AM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Loving the AE .2cc with video

In the Kitchen! [8D]

You go Nitro!

A much better candidate than the clan for a flying model.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:12 AM
nitroairplane

It is the only room that has decent vents and it was raining outside and I was so desperate to run it that I had to.
I love my clan it satrts quickly without a spring.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlWo6zNaRRI[/youtube]
Old 04-28-2012, 10:20 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nitroplane just hums in end run, looks very clean running too no smoke clouds, easy starter too martin
Old 04-28-2012, 10:24 AM
earlwb

Nice engine there. It looks and sounds really good.
Do try to post a video of it flying on your plane too.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:42 AM
nitroairplane

Yeah it was pretty clean I was only running 28% castor oil it was as rich as it would consistently run actually but yeah surprisingly little mess.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:44 AM
nitroairplane

Yeah I will post one when I can get one.
The thing I like about the clan is how quiet it is I can fire it up in the park and no one really notices but this is a little louder.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:27 PM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

have you tacked the clan?
mine would only turn 7,500 on a 5x3.
Compared to the schlosser .25 turning a 5.7x3 mid 10's
Old 04-28-2012, 01:49 PM
nitroairplane

Not yet but it is so easy to use and run and start it is just such a pleasure.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:43 AM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh, the miracle of Infernal Combustion!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 AM
AMB

Guess this gives a whole new meaning to park flyers, mine are converted electric arfs minnie telemaster, goldberg lightnin bug, goldberg tiger 400, vmar j-3 cub
the lightnin bug has a PAW 06 with exhaust ring and little stack the rest TT10s or OS10s Davis heads with stock mufflers VERY QUIET in the air never a noise complaint in the park the 10s work out to about 1.75cc and very afordable less than $65 for the engine Davis head $50 so $115 ,less than the cost of a paw
And at least here in the USA very avaliable , yes I have my PAWs and my new MP jet 061(which was about $150 plus shipping from the Quebec Canada
Fuel costs to fly these Nil, the just sip it, the J-3 by the way has a 54 inch span and about 2 lbs off the grass no issues , the ligntin bug requires a had launch
no go off the grass martin

Whoops forgot do have some wee one Cox 049s Davis heads one front intake 2 rear reeds one a plane for them
Old 05-01-2012, 07:40 AM
nitroairplane

Tached the clan today and it is doing high 9k's and when it ran down to lean was passing 10k with a grey 5x3 prop.
One day I want to convert a Parkzone micro to IC power with a tiny diesel or glow.
Fuel proofed of course. But diesels are really pracal for park flyers well the ones I have done.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:50 AM
william hanshaw

Hi, Nitroairplane.

I saw your post on the AE's and it seems I must be a glutton for punishment! I've acquired two AE's, a 0.01 and a 0.02. I tried to run the .02 last night and was surprised that it ran fine on the prime (only one lone tiny drop in the venturi), but it just wouldn't keep running on the tank's fuel, no matter what I did to the NV setting. I had carefully mixed up fuel using the formula in the instructions, including Amsoil DII. When I received and unpacked it, the engine was stuck with gunk and wouldn't turn over by hand. Since it was NIB (or so I was told), the presence of gunk showed me the engine had been test-run at the factory, but no after-run oil applied so it was solidly gummed up. I carefully cleared the engine using Carburetor Cleaning Spray and much gentleness so as not to over-stress the crank, pin, etc. I didn't dismantle the NV assembly, but cleaned the needle and blew through the open spray bar and it was clear.

Might I ask if your .02's NV's setting is critical, or more gentle to adjust? My NV has very little taper, sort of looks like the old Fox 35 Stunt engine's NV with its blunt, squared-off point. It seems to me that it might better be ground down slightly with a gentler slope, to a point. Hopefully that might make it less critical to adjust. Any ideas?

I hope to master (and in no way abuse) these two cute little engines...I haven't even considered yet what to mount them in! Maybe a miniature "Dakota" or scaled-down Bugaboo? One thing at a time, I guess!

Bill
Old 11-09-2012, 05:42 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Here's another AE .2 cc on the bench, for test running. An easy starter, it's a nicely made little engine, apart from the NVA. The needle threads are very loose in the holder making it very difficult to find and then hold a steady setting. The precison of this part is not up to the calibre of the rest of the engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OujAI...ature=youtu.be

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61087.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1818949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15753.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1818950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90532.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1818951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72827.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1818952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58515.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1818953  
Old 11-09-2012, 07:08 PM
william hanshaw

Hi Derek. Great pics of the little .02 AE! It's nice to know it will run! And now for the pesky little .01!! Good hunting!

Thanks! Bill
Old 11-09-2012, 07:15 PM
AMB

Derek maybe a piece of fuel tubing over the NVA might help?????? martin
could PAW 03 NVA be used??
Old 11-09-2012, 07:21 PM
fiery

Hi Martin

It already has clear fuel tubing sealing the needle, that is the only thing keeping air out. Sadly the needle is a very loose fit in the holder, you can wriggle it, and the end is blunt. The needle is also too long, it is almost out of the holder by the time a running setting is found,

Chasing a repeatable steady needle setting with this NVA is like chasing a rainbow.

To become a nice workable engine, it is my view that a replacement NVA is called for. I am thinking a Schlosser .25 NVA could be a candidate, or maybe one from the Peter Burford PB .33 They are available and affordable. I will think about it.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:38 PM
AMB

Fiery sounds like a game plan fro the NVA engine run on the video looks and sounds good however in spite of that issue what did it achieve in revs on what prop martin
Old 12-22-2012, 09:17 PM
fiery

Loving the AE .2 cc now it has a Schlosser .25 cc venturi and NVA installed.

With correct pre-start preparation, one "spring-flick" starts are routine.

It is going back to it's rightful owner after enjoying a summer vacation down under.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVPi-QeFfYM
Old 12-23-2012, 12:43 PM
william hanshaw

Hello Derek,

Iam expressing my thanks to you, for all to see. Your work (and David's too) on my little AE.02 obviously is what it needed, as shown by the video. I am delighted that it now runs so well!

I plan to install the AE .02 in my next small airplane, a 16" w.s.reduced size "Dakota". The design is a 50's vintage all-sheet balsa biplane by Joe Wagner. It was a low-cost Veco kit, built by many boys here in the States...Don't know if it was exported or not.

I will install a ParkZone micro rudder-only unit in it just to make sure it stays close by. The original "Dakota's" were designed to fly in lazy circles at around head-height, to fly in neighborhood schoolyards. Most were powered by OK Cub .049's, K&B .020 and .035 Infants, and later Cox's. Back then, for diesels, we only had McCoy's, which were way too powerful for the Dakota. Even low-powered with a faltering K&B Infant .020, my F/F Dakota was caught in a wild Texas thermal and flew away to Dakota heaven!

Derek, thanks so much for lending your expertise to get this little jewel to run so well!

Bill
Old 04-19-2013, 12:11 AM
fiery

Hi Bill

Thanks for those kind words. It was a pleasure.

As requested, I now post some photo's of your 1/2 Bugaboo, with some of the notes you recently sent me. A really neat job there.

Flying shots in due course please Bill!

"Well, I wanted you to see my latest creation, a half-size Bugaboo powered by the little AE which you kindly conquered for me a while back! I feel confident enough about being able to run it, that I've made good on my promise to build a plane for it.

I just reduced the plans 50% and started building. The r/c rig is a ParkZone AR6400L, and because I needed some significant tail weight to counter the heavy little AE, I've built in a tray for a single cell 400mah battery, which the cell can slide into and make the cg at the wing spar line, about 20-25% of the chord. Hope that will be OK, at least to start.

I used Coverlite shrinkable covering, which is the updated version of LiteSpan. It is very light, about equal to silk, and doesn't have an adhesive coating,so an adhesive must be brushed onto the framework and heat-tacked on, then shrunk with higher heat. You may be familiar with this covering. It's coating is fuel proof so it doesn't need any further finishing, and it looks very much like tissue or silk.

I hope you are doing well, and when you see David, please send him my best regards. I don't know how to post photos on our Diesel thread, so if you want to do so, feel free to post my pics for the others to see, as part of one of your messages."

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55662.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1873571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29326.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1873572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95120.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	95.8 KB