Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official ECX Torment Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:14 PM
MD6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official ECX Torment Thread

I would look at the hard cased lipo batteries at Hobby Partz.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:16 PM
jkinosh

I have looked at the Hardcase Lipos from Hobbypartz, and it seems that most of them are out of stock.

But I will check again befor I order anything.

Any other suggestions on places to get the battery, charger and LVC?
I looked at Hobby King, but note to sure after the problems I have heard with orders, and I notice a lot of their products are backorderd in the US warehouse.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:30 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, over 20 packs threw my torment and today it finnally broke something (ok, i had broke 1 driveshaft prior, but I had a spare on hand)
today a nasty landing snapped a steering knuckle.
so I had to go on ebay and buy a set. on the up side, I was able to get 2 sets for just $6.50 shipped!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:38 PM
jkinosh

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

wow, over 20 packs threw my torment and today it finnally broke something (ok, i had broke 1 driveshaft prior, but I had a spare on hand)
today a nasty landing snapped a steering knuckle.
so I had to go on ebay and buy a set. on the up side, I was able to get 2 sets for just $6.50 shipped!

Hope we can be that lucky with ours. My 6 year old cann't wait to drive it in the backyard. See previous Post [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11049986]Here[/link]
Old 05-03-2012, 03:11 PM
MD6

Here are some less expensive Hobbypartz batteries that are in stock.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/gensace25c1.html

Old 05-06-2012, 04:07 AM
Falcon-7

Sorry it took so long to get the pics up. but here is how i routed my LVC at front it connects to balace plug, i ran it down the side, drilled holes in my frame to get a place for the zip ties, ran it under my esc and up the back of the shock tower.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77812.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1759417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32279.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1759418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12607.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1759419  
Old 05-10-2012, 12:39 PM
trsills

I've continued to tweak our Torment and have to say it's really moving right now.  I went to a 2S LiPo, and changed the motor out (stock ESC though).  The stock motor died, and I put in a Traxxas brushed 12t like what's in Jr's Slash.  This was kind of a pain cause I didn't realize the can size was bigger versus the stock motor.  So I did some dremel work on the back but in the end.   I was able to get the motor to mount but then found that I couldn't rotate it enough to get the pinion/spur to mesh because motor hits diff casing.  This forced me to go to a bigger pinion gear (23 tooth), and in hindsight it was actually a cool thing.  Now when I race Jr's Slash, I come just blowing by him with the taller gear :-)

My next issue is with the steering servo.  The stock unit is pretty slow (nice for a beginner though as I learn to drive), but in comparison to the Slash the turning radius is very wide.  I don't know enough about these parts to understand if this is an issue with the servo'sturning range or is it as a result of the linkage?

Lastly, on advice of the LHS, I put in 50 weight oil and it's too thick.  While yes, you see a difference on pavement but across grass the rebond is too slow.  Plus I saw early on where the rear caps popped lose and lost some oil so I'm going to change it out to 40 weight (unless someone has other suggestions).

thx
Old 05-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Falcon-7

ORIGINAL: trsills

I've continued to tweak our Torment and have to say it's really moving right now. I went to a 2S LiPo, and changed the motor out (stock ESC though). The stock motor died, and I put in a Traxxas brushed 12t like what's in Jr's Slash. This was kind of a pain cause I didn't realize the can size was bigger versus the stock motor. So I did some dremel work on the back but in the end. I was able to get the motor to mount but then found that I couldn't rotate it enough to get the pinion/spur to mesh because motor hits diff casing. This forced me to go to a bigger pinion gear (23 tooth), and in hindsight it was actually a cool thing. Now when I race Jr's Slash, I come just blowing by him with the taller gear :-)

My next issue is with the steering servo. The stock unit is pretty slow (nice for a beginner though as I learn to drive), but in comparison to the Slash the turning radius is very wide. I don't know enough about these parts to understand if this is an issue with the servo'sturning range or is it as a result of the linkage?

Lastly, on advice of the LHS, I put in 50 weight oil and it's too thick. While yes, you see a difference on pavement but across grass the rebond is too slow. Plus I saw early on where the rear caps popped lose and lost some oil so I'm going to change it out to 40 weight (unless someone has other suggestions).

thx
Glad to see you hopping up the ole Torment, Addicting isn't it. LOLLOL !!

I should have added that about the 12T titan motor in my notes , it does need to be fitted in there, glad it went well for you. !

I want to say the Torment comes with 30wt oil and most people up it to 40wt, i agree the 50wt is too much, i am about to back down to 40wt myself.

i am running the 19t pinion and same scenario with you my buddy has a rustler with 23 or 25t and off the line i get him but then he pulls and always wins down the road.

Have you added a LVC to your stock ESC?

As for your servo and wide turning radius, on your Controller the knob at the very front of your controller is a steering D/R, turn it all the way to the Right and see how you like it ! Left it numbs the car and reduces the steering and increases the turn radius, and Right increases the steering and reduces the turn radius. It has a small dot on the left and a big dot on the right, i go past the big dot until it stops at full right. it is twitichy and will turn on a dime. well a quater maybe, ha ha ha. ok that's my bad joke for the day.

If the controller doesn't help you with this, i will suggest something else, but i think you will find that little knob on the front will do the trick.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:56 AM
trsills

Thanks for the response Falcon7 and regarding the servo adjustment, yes, cranked full right still seemed like Slash turned much sharper.

What pinion are you running with the 12t and how did you mount motor?  I cut off a small plastic cover at the top and opened up the adjustment slot a little.  But the real problem was that the diff case seems to keep the can from moving close enough to mesh with the spur with the stock pinion.  I didn't think to take the sleeve off the can that has the 12t label (I'm told it comes off and does nothing other than to provide something for traxxas to attach their sticker to).  I still don't think that would've made enough of a difference to mesh with the stock pinion.

I guess motor mounting is irrelevant though cause my 6 yr old daughter was bashing around and roasted the 12t.  I'm suspecting cause she was pounding around for the extended time with the tall gear did it in.  Now doesn't turn over at all.  Then again stock motor died in 2 weeks (just started to run slow) so maybe ESC has a problem and is causing this?

I now have the 15t HPI brushed motor and am back to stock pinion.  Temps are at most 145.  Thing seems to really scream across pavement(maybe better than the 12t I had).  I don't have a LVC yet, but may take jr's ESC off his Slash since he may get moved to brushless combo.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:23 PM
MD6

I've had good luck with the HPI 15T. My opinion of the stock servo is that it reacts much slower than the Traxxas Slash servo.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Falcon-7

trsills like MD6 posted the servo is slower than the stock slash, as for the turning sharper, the lastfew things you can do is move the links on the steering servo one down on the steering bar, you can see it when you hold the truck upside down. and that will add a smallsmallamount of additional throw, and move the upper arm link near the tireone out and that will add a small amount of bite for the tires, after that, you may upgrade to softer tires that will dig in better and not push out, and well after that, i have no answers other than the slash does have more adjustability. giving it a better edge over the torment. and once JR goes brushless he will have the upper hand.
also i went from stock motor, to orion method 15tdouble wind, and now i am brushless, all three setups i was lucky and didn't have to cut any of my rear bracket, but with my velneon motor the shaft is a few mm too long so i have to run my truck without the gear cover.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:44 AM
trsills

I had the same issue with the 12t motor in that the shaft is a little long so cut a few mm off with the dremel so I could get the cover back on.

Have any of you done the water break-in of your motors? It seems surprising to dip it in water and run it for a few seconds. I tried it but really don't have a bench mark for comparison to see if it makes the motor that much faster. Although the HP 15t seems to really scream and I did the water break in on it.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:42 AM
Falcon-7

Nope, i am very accident prone when it comes to electricity, i can get shocked/electrocuted by anything, so i have steered away from doing the water break in.

it is a 50-50 choice thing, i have had several motors, and none of which i did the break in. i do clean them with REEDY motor cleaner, i can tell when my trucks start to act sluggish and show signs of lost power i do a deep clean on the whole truck, re oil all my bearings and hose down the motor with the contact cleaner, and the truck is back to good, luckily i have only had one motor go bad on me, all the rest are still working.

I am actually about to use the old system out of the torment and see about putting it into a big walmart hummer toy my father has, he complians it only lasts for 5 min and can't go through grass, so i am about to mod his 1/8 to 1/7 scale Hummer, should be a fun project.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Uzi4u

I did the water break-in. 10 minutes in a cup while hooked up to 2 D batteries. Water was gray when I was done. Truck seems nice and fast on a 7 cell. Might put a brushless system in soon. Have all the upgrade parts for it now, just need the time.

I had the same issue with the 12t motor in that the shaft is a little long so cut a few mm off with the dremel so I could get the cover back on.

Have any of you done the water break-in of your motors? It seems surprising to dip it in water and run it for a few seconds. I tried it but really don't have a bench mark for comparison to see if it makes the motor that much faster. Although the HP 15t seems to really scream and I did the water break in on it.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:06 PM
trsills

Uzi4u....did you change your gear set to the metal one?

I took the Torment to the track and it's living up to it's nature as being an absolute Torment. Within less than 30 min the idler gear had started to strip. I was running a 2s LiPo and HPI 15t motor. Yet, we were able to drive Jr's Slash for about 3.5 hours over the time we were there. I have 4 2s Lipos that we just kept cycling through his truck and it ran perfectly fine. With a multi-battery charger it was easy to always have one at the ready.

Frustratingly I replaced the gear set (had plastic one on hand) and took it out for a test drive. Within the first minute I heard some pops come from the diff area. So I know those gears aren't going to make it. I didn't see where it was possible to adjust the gears, but I noticed that the idler and top shaft didn't seem to mesh very well. I have no idea how you can run a brushless with this truck without running the metal gears.

I think if you leave this rig mostly stock you'll be perfectly fine, but as soon as you start tweaking it all bets are off. It's kind of like turbo charging a Civic. Yeah it'll go faster but it's a ticking time bomb.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:23 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I've continued to tweak our Torment and have to say it's really moving right now. I went to a 2S LiPo, and changed the motor out (stock ESC though). The stock motor died, and I put in a Traxxas brushed 12t like what's in Jr's Slash. This was kind of a pain cause I didn't realize the can size was bigger versus the stock motor. So I did some dremel work on the back but in the end. I was able to get the motor to mount but then found that I couldn't rotate it enough to get the pinion/spur to mesh because motor hits diff casing. This forced me to go to a bigger pinion gear (23 tooth), and in hindsight it was actually a cool thing. Now when I race Jr's Slash, I come just blowing by him with the taller gear :-)

My next issue is with the steering servo. The stock unit is pretty slow (nice for a beginner though as I learn to drive), but in comparison to the Slash the turning radius is very wide. I don't know enough about these parts to understand if this is an issue with the servo'sturning range or is it as a result of the linkage?

Lastly, on advice of the LHS, I put in 50 weight oil and it's too thick. While yes, you see a difference on pavement but across grass the rebond is too slow. Plus I saw early on where the rear caps popped lose and lost some oil so I'm going to change it out to 40 weight (unless someone has other suggestions).

thx
all I had to do was remove the outer ring on the titan motor. The metal sleeve that has the "titan" lable can come off pretty easy. With it off, the motor fits as well as the stock one. If you remove yours, you will be able to use a smaller pinion.
Check your motor temps. I wouldnt be surprised if a 23t pinion is too large and the motor is running hot.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:34 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Falcon-7

trsills like MD6 posted the servo is slower than the stock slash, as for the turning sharper, the last few things you can do is move the links on the steering servo one down on the steering bar, you can see it when you hold the truck upside down. and that will add a small small amount of additional throw, and move the upper arm link near the tire one out and that will add a small amount of bite for the tires, after that, you may upgrade to softer tires that will dig in better and not push out, and well after that, i have no answers other than the slash does have more adjustability. giving it a better edge over the torment. and once JR goes brushless he will have the upper hand.
also i went from stock motor, to orion method 15tdouble wind, and now i am brushless, all three setups i was lucky and didn't have to cut any of my rear bracket, but with my velneon motor the shaft is a few mm too long so i have to run my truck without the gear cover.

IMO a stock torment handles better than a stock slash. Its slower on the top end and the servo is slower..but its easier to drive. I think it is balanced better and the shocks are smoother than a slash. Again, this is box stock vs box stock. The slash will kill a torment in a straight line, but put them both on a short dirt track with some jumps and the torment will stay ahead with relative ease.

I have been racing another torment, slash and a blitz on the weekends. My torment which is basically stock (stock motor, 2s lipo, better servo) is right with the blitz all the way. My torment actually bites in better and takes a slight edge from a standing start. The blitz is also mostly stock, except for a xl5 esc and titan motor/2s lipo.

I have had one issue coming up. with my stronger servo, the "C" clip that acts as a servo saver gets weak. Now its to the point where the wheels wont center, even tho the servo does. Basically the "C" clip gives alot more than it should. I am used to adjustable servo savers...with springs and a nut. This "C" clip I have replaced once already. The wheels just wont center when on the ground cuase this clip gives and doesnt transfer the full movement of the servo to the bell crank.
I am considering gluing the whole servo saver assembly together. I have a metal geared servo, so Im not worried about that. I do worry that without the servo saver the steering links or hub arms might break.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:43 AM
Falcon-7

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Falcon-7

trsills like MD6 posted the servo is slower than the stock slash, as for the turning sharper, the lastfew things you can do is move the links on the steering servo one down on the steering bar, you can see it when you hold the truck upside down. and that will add a smallsmallamount of additional throw, and move the upper arm link near the tireone out and that will add a small amount of bite for the tires, after that, you may upgrade to softer tires that will dig in better and not push out, and well after that, i have no answers other than the slash does have more adjustability. giving it a better edge over the torment. and once JR goes brushless he will have the upper hand.

IMO a stock torment handles better than a stock slash. Its slower on the top end and the servo is slower..but its easier to drive. I think it is balanced better and the shocks are smoother than a slash. Again, this is box stock vs box stock. The slash will kill a torment in a straight line, but put them both on a short dirt track with some jumps and the torment will stay ahead with relative ease.

I have been racing another torment, slash and a blitz on the weekends. My torment which is basically stock (stock motor, 2s lipo, better servo) is right with the blitz all the way. My torment actually bites in better and takes a slight edge from a standing start. The blitz is also mostly stock, except for a xl5 esc and titan motor/2s lipo.

I have had one issue coming up. with my stronger servo, the "C" clip that acts as a servo saver gets weak. Now its to the point where the wheels wont center, even tho the servo does. Basically the "C" clip gives alot more than it should. I am used to adjustable servo savers...with springs and a nut. This "C" clip I have replaced once already. The wheels just wont center when on the ground cuase this clip gives and doesnt transfer the full movement of the servo to the bell crank.
I am considering gluing the whole servo saver assembly together. I have a metal geared servo, so Im not worried about that. I do worry that without the servo saver the steering links or hub arms might break.

I was wondering about that too ! i was seriously thinking of modding up a different servo saver or just going to a solid arm. because mine is doing the same thing. Thanks for mentioning that ! Keep me posted.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:22 AM
Uzi4u

Trsills, I just installed the metal gears the other day. Haven't had a chance to run yet. I also installed the vxl drive shafts and some HPI aluminum hex's on the rear. Oh and some rear Slash turnbuckles for camber adjustment. I had to reprogram the sidewinder in the truck last night and solder on a deans plug. Hopefully I can take it for a spin this afternoon. I still have the robbers on there for pavement, but I am running the castle SCT motor 3800kv b/c I actually want to race this bad boy here soon. So, different tires will be needed for sure!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:12 AM
trsills

I finally got some metal gears for tranny. Fortunately I checked the diff cause it was essentially dry. When manufactured they only put a very light swab of some blue grease in the middle, and it was nothing like the original differential when I opened it where it was pretty well covered. I'd been told that it should be pretty much packed with grease, although understand you can use this as a means to tune the diff. I cleaned the bearings and added some tri-flow as well as packed the diff. So far it seems to run pretty good with the HPI 15t motor, but given my luck it'll last about 15 min.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Uzi4u

Yeah, I forgot to crack open the diff. May need to do that. My first run of the truck was two days ago and it was awesome and hilarious. So with the castle SCT system the truck rides wheelies of course. With robbers on I was doing some sweet donuts in the street. The humor came when the rear wheel came off. I spent 30 minutes looking for the nut and plastic washer(on asphalt). I want to try and race this bad boy, but I am not sure if I should weigh down the front or change motor. Or should I change the gearing? Running stock spur and pinion right now.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:33 PM
bossman2u

OK, here`s mine.
I`m on my third ESC (not counting the original brushed unit) first was a venom 80a which was wicked fast but got destroyed in a crash....yes a crash, seond esc was HK80a which fried 15 seconds into it`s first run? Now I have a HK 100a esc, no-name 5900 brushless motor, 5000mah 3s zippy battery. I have made the following modifications:
wheelie bar
ECX metal tranny gear set
cut out rear guard to install heat sink and small fan
add another heat sink to the front of the motor and install the large fan from the HK80esc
traxxas vxl heavy duty axles
did the gorilla tape anti tire balooning mod
gearing is 23/87 (prob need to go down to a 19t pinion, static testing with the 23t seems fine as far as temps but I havent really road tested it yet.)

Just got the heat sinks and fans wired up and ready to run but it`s raining right now so I guess I`ll have to wait and see how fast she goes, should be a rocket.

I like the 57 chevy truck body better but I think the torment body will be more aerodynamic.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Uzi4u

Sweet ride!

ORIGINAL: bossman2u

OK, here`s mine.
I`m on my third ESC (not counting the original brushed unit) first was a venom 80a which was wicked fast but got destroyed in a crash....yes a crash, seond esc was HK80a which fried 15 seconds into it`s first run? Now I have a HK 100a esc, no-name 5900 brushless motor, 5000mah 3s zippy battery. I have made the following modifications:
wheelie bar
ECX metal tranny gear set
cut out rear guard to install heat sink and small fan
add another heat sink to the front of the motor and install the large fan from the HK80esc
traxxas vxl heavy duty axles
did the gorilla tape anti tire balooning mod
gearing is 23/87 (prob need to go down to a 19t pinion, static testing with the 23t seems fine as far as temps but I havent really road tested it yet.)

Just got the heat sinks and fans wired up and ready to run but it`s raining right now so I guess I`ll have to wait and see how fast she goes, should be a rocket.

I like the 57 chevy truck body better but I think the torment body will be more aerodynamic.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:48 PM
bossman2u

OK road tested it a little today..........
OMG, full throttle is almost impossible to control, would love to have it clocked. Any guesses as to what this motor/battery/gear ratio might yield?
The motor is awesome, I had it about 3/4 throttle and it was running like a raped ape, floored it and it flipped over on it`s back at warp factor 9, something about the torment body, when it slides on it`s roof down the street it`s loud as hell, neibors lights were coming on!
I gotta find a BIG parking lot to open this thing up. Ran it for about 20 minutes and the motor and esc were warm, not hot so I guess I can stick with the gearing I have. I will run down to harbor freight and get a temp gun just to be safe.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Uzi4u

ORIGINAL: bossman2u

OK road tested it a little today..........
OMG, full throttle is almost impossible to control, would love to have it clocked. Any guesses as to what this motor/battery/gear ratio might yield?
The motor is awesome, I had it about 3/4 throttle and it was running like a raped ape, floored it and it flipped over on it`s back at warp factor 9, something about the torment body, when it slides on it`s roof down the street it`s loud as hell, neibors lights were coming on!
I gotta find a BIG parking lot to open this thing up. Ran it for about 20 minutes and the motor and esc were warm, not hot so I guess I can stick with the gearing I have. I will run down to harbor freight and get a temp gun just to be safe.
Yeah Harbor Frieght is having thier parking lot sale until tomorrow. Think you can get a temp gun for 27.00 until then. Not sure about your speed, but 5900kv is getting close to almost too much for the Torment(at least to control). I know most people run 4000Kv or 4600kv max. I have a 3800kv in mine and it wheelies at full throttle. If your temps are good though, have fun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.