Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

choosing a servo! i need help

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

choosing a servo! i need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 02:01 PM
robkamm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default choosing a servo! i need help

Im looking to get servos for my 1/3 scale gee bee. I need 2 for the wings, 2 for the elevator, 1 for the rudder, 1 steeringand 1 throttle. all standard size , metal gear? there are so many chioces out there, what do myou guys run? im using a futaba 6 channel 2.4 radio if that makes a difference. thanks for any advice. i dont want to spend 100$ each either.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:24 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: choosing a servo! i need help

ORIGINAL: robkamm

Im looking to get servos for my 1/3 scale gee bee. I need 2 for the wings, 2 for the elevator, 1 for the rudder, 1 steering and 1 throttle. all standard size , metal gear? there are so many chioces out there, what do myou guys run? im using a futaba 6 channel 2.4 radio if that makes a difference. thanks for any advice. i dont want to spend 100$ each either.

The only one you would need metal gears in is the steering servo which in most cases is the rudder servo. The throttle need not be high TQ. I would think that you would definately NOT want metal gears in the wing/aileron servos. The extra weight would be a penalty in the wings where MG servos are not needed.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:05 PM
wings2an3
My Feedback: (1)

In my opinion hitech makes some very good servos and resonally priced. Look into the karboite gear if you want strenght.
Your ailerons should have fast servos with very little deflection, my 1/4 scale rolls with a 1/8 of an inch in movement, high tourqe for the rudder and do a pull-pull. Your main concern should be that you don't want to stall a servo.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:22 PM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you mean by "not wanting to stall a servo". Heard the term often but not sure I understand it.

Thanks

Rafeek
Old 05-06-2012, 02:21 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: rafeeki

What do you mean by ''not wanting to stall a servo''. Heard the term often but not sure I understand it.

Thanks

Rafeek

You "stall" a servo when the control surface reaches the end of it's deflection limit W/the servo still trying to deflect it more. You can still hear the servo buzzing. This usually only happens on a throttle set-up as one usually uses end point afjustment on the control surfaces to limit deflection. I guess you could also stall a servo by using a servo W/insufficient TQ on large control surfaces @ high speeds.

When I set up my throttle servo I take a trick from the R/C car guys & use a "servo saver". You can make a servo saver W/some wheel collars & 2 stiff ballpoint pen springs.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:37 AM
robkamm

Great info! keep it coming. I thought metal gears were the way to go in large scale. I was thinking strength. any part #s you guys use? Im over thinking it big time. Its a gee bee and my pilot skills are not sharp. Ill be cutting the servos out after the crash anyway .
Old 05-06-2012, 04:49 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

There's no reason not to use MG servos on the ailerons.

Hitec's are good, a lot of the giant scale guys are migrating to Savox servos now as well.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Texastbird

I have some of these servos and they are doing well so far. Metal gears, plenty strong and center well.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...8kg_17sec.html
Old 05-07-2012, 03:34 PM
robkamm

thanks everyone. I ordered them today. I have a mix coming. metal gear for the steering, karnonite gears and regular hd stuff on the way for everywere else. Ill report how it all holds up.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Texastbird

Well I wouldn't recommend the Karbonite gears. From the Hitec website under their 485HB description:
Note: Be aware that high vibration gas (not glow) engines combined with large contol surfaces and large thows (3D models) can put undue strain on the gears. Metal geared servos are recommended for these applications even if under 12lbs.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:35 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Yea, you dont want them on a 1/3 scale racing style plane.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:53 PM
stangevil29
My Feedback: (1)

From my personal exp. and from fellow club members who have used the karbonites, I would steer clear of them. Yes, individuals have used them for years but, on my Great Planes SS I had used them for the wings for about 8 flights and then on my ground check prior to taking off they both failed. I also saw a brand new plane loose both of it's karbonite gear elevator servos on the maiden flight. It was in level flight by the way. I have used 645 mg's without problems on all of my 1/4 scale surfaces w/o issues. I wish they still made the 525mg's. They had been perfect for my .60 size warbirds.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:05 PM
vidasj

I just assembled an Escapade .61 and used the Hitec 5485HB servos, the're Karbonite digital standard servos.  After about 20 flights, one of the aileron servos failed.  I replaced it with a Futaba S3004 and kept flying the plane.  About 20 flights later, the elevator servo failed, and I crashed the plane into some thick woods.  Completely destroyed the plane.

Niether failed servo had stripped gears, they just stopped rotating.  I'm not too happy with Hitec right now.  Never had a servo fail before in 3 years of flying.  Use mostly Futaba and JR plastic gear servos in my other models.