Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

helis & fixed wing

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 06:05 PM
halflight
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default helis & fixed wing

How do you handle the mix of helios and fixed wing at your field.
We have Wednesday eveniings set aside for helios but they still can fly any time they please..not a good mix when this happens.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:51 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: helis & fixed wing

in my opinion..... helis and 3d'ers are no different. if everybody is respectful of the airspace AND OTHER PILOTS there will no problems.

ken
Old 05-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Bill Vargas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kenh3497

in my opinion..... helis and 3d'ers are no different. if everybody is respectful of the airspace AND OTHER PILOTS there will no problems.

ken

Thats a BIG +1
Old 05-10-2012, 06:31 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Yup, its about attitude more than aircraft type.

If adults behave like adults there should be no problem.

I'm lucky, we have a separate runway but I've seen plenty of mixed clubs with no issues, and clubs with one or two ego's on either side that just couldn't make it work.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:55 AM
flyinwalenda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In one club there has never been a problem with helis or 3D planes. Everyone takes turns and the heli/3d guys wait until the line is clear then go out and the other folks simply wait for them to finish. Actually there are some regular pilots I prefer not to be in the air with rather then the heli or 3D guys.
In the other club there is a greater number of heli pilots and there seems to be constant turmoil between them and the other flyers. A separate pad was made for them away from the main field to fly heli 3D but the seem to prefer the main field. When they come out with other flyers and don't fly the pattern of the hour is when the trouble starts it seems. Never bothers me unless I have a larger plane up or a plane I can't take my eyes off of to watch out for helis or 3d'ers popping up in the flight path.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:01 AM
rcmiket

ORIGINAL: Bill Vargas

ORIGINAL: kenh3497

ken

Thats a BIG +1

That's how we handle it and with no issues.

Mike
Old 05-31-2012, 09:42 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

At our club, we pretty much will fly multiple planes at a time, but when a heli goes up, most will either sit and watch, or go further away to fly. the Heli and 3D guys seem to fly in close to the flight lin, within about 75' to maybe 100' from the flight stations. For myself, I'll usually go out at least 150' to 200', and stay at least that distance away.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:06 AM
WaffleMan
My Feedback: (1)

Our club, while it has only one runway, We also have a separate parkflyer and heli area away from the main flightline. And most of the parkflyer guys prefer the main flightline, because the parkflyers still have wheels, and that means the helis practicly have their own area.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:32 AM
topspin

Big helis scare me. I have seen a .90 heli go out of control and it was panick city, that thing would take your head off. I don't mind when they fly at our field but I stay out of the way until they are done.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:08 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Any worse than an out of control 100cc plane? You certainly see a lot less bandaged fingers on the heli side
Old 06-05-2012, 12:03 PM
tomfiorentino

If it flies I want it in the air!

The only "problem" I have with this type of thing is the whole taking turns flying...or one at a time kind of stuff. Open flying, everybody go for the number of flight stations the field has otherwise you can kill a whole evening and fly twice.

Here is the big but....Follow the pattern! If you want to fly 3D....do it on the down wind pass where other flyers have the time and room to avoid you...you know, it is kind of hard to avoid someone hovering over the runway because you see it too late. besides, there is usually a couple minutes during each flight where you find yourself alone or with one other guys and a quick communication of what you want to do and things work out.

Helis...same thing.

In my part of the country, when you take the total number of days available to fly minus work, kids, rain, wind, other obligatories...the last thing I want to do when I get up there is fly one at a time.

Get them up in the air, fly the pattern, communicate and be respectful.

Others may disagree...

Tom