Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

YELLOW AT-6 TEXAN BUILD THREAD

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

YELLOW AT-6 TEXAN BUILD THREAD

Old 02-13-2011, 03:56 AM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: YELLOW AT-6 TEXAN BUILD THREAD

I had no problems using the factory setup of the flaps.

==========

For parts, call Charlie at Tel: (781) 935-9868

http://www.yellowaircraft.com/
Old 02-13-2011, 06:39 AM
RCPILOT78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Sam yes getting parts from Yellow is easy...and he gets them out fast. Not to change the subject Sam, but have you maidened your p-38 yet? ...I am still working hard on mine. RCpilot78
Old 09-16-2011, 05:01 AM
RBSteffey123
My Feedback: (57)

Question to owners of Yellow Aircraft AT-6 Texan.  I purchased this plane built and slightly damaged, but she is a beautiful plane!

I am installing the Robart #161 and the mains went in fine, for the fixed tail-wheel assembly is ready to mount and the prior owner must have had a hard landing.  The last former in the fuse is damaged and I can see the mount plate is gone.  It looks like the mount is tied in to the former for the fuse.  Does anybody have the plans for this piece (I don't want to have to eye-ball and sand, sand and sand)

Currently I have the rudder and elevator removed (Needed to re-hinge) so now is the best access I have to that area.

Does anyone have the dimensions/pictures of their fixed tail-wheel mounted to fuse?  The build plans don't have the dimensions for the fuse-former that ties to to the tail mount?

I will take pictures today and post, if that will help...I am at a stand-still build wise...any help would be appreciated.

btw samparfitt , nice paint job and I like the colors, I may use the same scheme...bought it with drab-grey military scheme.

Rick
Old 09-16-2011, 05:14 AM
RBSteffey123

Did you finish the build?  Pictures?  Do you have any information/pictures of the tail-wheel installation?  I bought a YA AT6 Texan slightly damaged and the tail-wheel had been broken off during a rough landing.  I have robart #161 witht the fixed tail-wheel.  I see the rear former in the fuse looked as if it was tied in tot the mount?

Do you have any pictures (With the tail-wheel fiber-glass cap off to see mount?)  Any other build threads/repair threads with the fixed tail-wheel setup?  How to repair tail-wheel mount?

This plane is going to a beaut when she is done.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:11 PM
OldDC

Hi there RCPILOT78, Hope you guys don't mind me sticking my nose in, but I am scratch building an AT-6 from Brian Taylor plans 1/7 scale. (which I have had for about 15 years or more) I have been working on it now since Oct 2010 and have basically finished all the airframe. Though I now have to revisit the retact as I have changed them over to Robarts.

Details of mine are, span 68 1/2 inch, all lights, has scratch built (as per RCPILOT78) full detailed cockpits with sliding canopy in the front, split flaps, dummy radial and powered by an ASP91 4 stroke inverted with a the exhaust exiting the scale position using a flexible exhaust pipe.

Only wish I had built a 1/5 or even a 1/6 scale as mine is a little small at times and have to be very careful to keep the scale sizing correct. Next step will be to do the panel lines and rivettson the fuz.

To RCPILOT78 and Roger (Sorry to hear what happened to yours mate) and all the thread members thank you for your unkown assistance and inspiration.

RCPILOT78 your scale detail is nothing short of supurb and it was lovely to see you took old 77 home to her original base.

Love your work.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:49 PM
RCPILOT78

Hello oldDC thanks for the compliments Iam glad the info was helpful.
number #77 is nearing 90 flights since maidened, I plan on taking it to a big bird flyin this weekend at Ocala Florida.
I mostly fly it at big bird airshows with all the scale detail it gets a lot attention. The cockpits alone have as much of the detail as the full scale. RCpilot78
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65140.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	394.9 KB
ID:	1740979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65087.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	583.7 KB
ID:	1740980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp32879.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	573.2 KB
ID:	1740981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha79176.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	533.6 KB
ID:	1740982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx23538.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	1740983  
Old 03-20-2012, 07:05 PM
OldDC

Your certainly have been a big help, 90 flights is good going and looks very clean in the air.
Even though mine is only 1/7 I have tried to build in as much in my cockpits as well and all that have seen it so far have been pretty amazed at the detail, as a novelty I put a map on the shelf on the right hand side shelf and also has a fire extinquisher down on the lower right side.

Have enjoyed the build when I get time but still have a long way to go.

By the way is 77 painted using zink chromate and clear coated.

I visted the L.A then drove to San Franciso, flew to Vegas then drove back to L.A. in October last year, about 2 1/2 weeks and hope to go back again when we can afford it, had a great time. Especialy since our $ is fairly high.

Regards Dennis

Old 03-20-2012, 07:10 PM
OldDC

Sorry should have said thanks for the pics, I have already printed the one of you and 77 out and now have it at home...just to give me inspiration.

You can send any pics or communicate if you wish to me at [email protected]

Again Thanks.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 AM
RCPILOT78

oldDC...Hello The plane is painted with a now discontinued brand of paint .. It was manufactured by the BEHR paint company and the paint was called ( Premium Plus Luminoso Silver )
Its a water base latex paint... goes on very easy sprayed or brushed on with a foam applicator when it dries it takes on a luster which is more flat not shiny just right for a warbird
because its latex it does not require a seal coat.

RCpilot78
Old 03-29-2012, 04:32 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: samparfitt

introduction:

It's gettin' to be that time of year: building time and to start thinking about Spring!
I've decided to start building the AT-6 first.
I want to start this plane since it's simpler to build than the Yellow's P-40 and P-38: no inner doors and no retractable tail wheel.
I read the instructions and she will build similar to the P-40 & P-38: ie, sheeted wings, horizontal stab, FG fuse and lots of FG parts.

pic 1-6:
The full size plans are included: one of the fuse and one of the wing/tail feathers.
An instruction booklet is also included.
The plans are full size also for building the rudder and elevator with the provided pre-cut balsa.

pic 7/8:
The wing is three piece.
The outer wings presheeted and the inner FG wing will stay attached to the fuse so only each aileron wire will needed to be connected out at the field.
Two or three air tanks will be put in the wing along with the air valve for the main retracts.
No retractable tail wheel so everything can stay in the wing.

pic 9:
The fuse looks pretty clean and I didn't see any pin holes (but there's always a few to fill in after putting on the primer).

pic 10:
Lots of wood and FG parts for the rudder and elevator plus the cockpit tubs and a nice FG canopy frame.

pic 11:
Nice FG gear doors.

pic 12:
Plans say a G-62 would work but I'm using a 3W-75 (especially since I already had it!).
Also a 40 oz tank and Yellow's spinner.
Plan to also add smoke (gotta' have smoke in an AT-6!).

any chance you could tell me the servo recommendations for the at-6? i can't read it from the plan pics you have , thanks WB_1
Old 03-29-2012, 12:04 PM
samparfitt

WB-1,
I use HS-645's for just about everything (like engines, too much power is just enough!).
Old 03-29-2012, 01:22 PM
warbird_1

WB-1,
I use HS-645's for just about everything (like engines, too much power is just enough!).
i agree sam. but i was using the recommendations as a bench mark for my byron seeings how they are very close to the same plane. any chance you might still have the plans ?
thanks WB_1
Old 05-07-2012, 11:00 PM
OldDC

Gidday RCPilot78 , still going with my scratch build, this site has gone very quite. Like getting ideas and sometimes alternate methods of doing things from you guys.
Thanks to the Robart site I made a copy set of strut collars which work well. Had a lot of trouble getting the doors to fit properly, as in to close up flush. Finally got it right but one door opens slightly further than the other, More adjustment, what a pain in the ar@*#.
Took all the wing lights out and made loitho plate surrounds and closed up the landing lights in accord with scale dimensions.
Enjoying it and still going.

Name:	Xv64516.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1760324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75236.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1760325  
Old 05-07-2012, 11:10 PM
OldDC

Continuing, got hold of some very bright Red and Green Led's 3/16 diameter and have now inserted them in asreplacement nav lights also used litho plate shaped to make a tear drop covers, seems to have worked well.

Cheers to all for now

Name:	Ki18834.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1760330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28798.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1760331  
Old 05-08-2012, 04:43 AM
RCPILOT78

oldDC looking good keep up the good work. and yes the gear doors are a bit tricky. They need a lot of fine adjustments to get them to retract flush.

RCpilot78
Old 05-08-2012, 05:07 AM
JeffH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did gear doors on a Midwest AT-6 and it took me about 2 weeks to get them right. They do look pretty good though.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:16 PM
OldDC

RCPILOT and JeffH, Firstly thank you for your encouragement RC, I have spent a lot of time on the gear doors already, as previously mentioned I have them closing flush butone opens out furtherthan the other.
I can certainly see how you spent 2 weeks mucking around with them Jeff.

I hope you guys don't mind me hooking into your thread even though I am not building a Yellow AT-6. At the end of the day we are all building the same type of aircraft by differnt means.
Besides I have enjoyed your thread and would like to see it continue and not go cold.
Regards to all and thank you all for your assistance. Keep On Building.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:57 AM
RBSteffey123

Fellow RCU'ers.  Good to see the thread is still active.  I am planning to change the color scheme from Army Grey to Air-Force Yellow (Trainer style).
I need some advise on what paint to use to get this Texan Yellow.  I have done prior builds using "rattle-can" paint and "air-brush" kit.  One plane I painted with rattle-can, nobody believes me when I say it was painted, they look for a run.  (Just go slow and light from about 18 inches).
Anyone know of a good brand of paint in rattle-can that is close to "School bus yellow"?   
ALSO
Who sells good price wheels for this Texan with Robart 161?  Is it a 5" wheel or 5 and 1/4 inch wheel?

Thanks,Rick
COMPLETED REPAIRS
I was able to build up the missing rear former that attached to the tail-wheel mount" area in rear of fuse.  Tight working area, but I was able to sketch a template and sand-fit, sand-fit sand-fit.  Epoxied in and good to go.

Also installed Robarts fixed tail wheel.  
PAINT
I lightly sanded the fuselage with an oscillating sander and 180 grit sand paper.  
Light coat of white primer to prepare the body for paint.

Thanks eveyone for the pictures and feedback
Rick
"Learn from the mistakes of others.You won’t live long enough to make all of them yourself."
Old 06-04-2012, 09:21 AM
warbird_1

thanks for posting your build thread for us all to see. i finally got 3 flights on my byron .first two had problems. the velocity stack on the engine was giving me fits. i took it off and the engine ran great. came in dead stick and hot on the first flight, got the mains on the runway and opted to runoff into the tall weeds head on rather that trying to turn a 33 lbs plane . broke the canopy and that's all. taped it up and got two more flights. this byron likes to bounce more than my old trusty midwest did. i was wondering how much lead you had to add and the final weight. mine came in at 33 lbs. but i opted to move some of the radio gear back. WB-1

Name:	Zx71365.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	1769003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17899.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1769004  
Old 06-04-2012, 09:49 AM
samparfitt

warbird1
I lost mine 3 seasons ago at Joe Nall when the receiver didn't want to 'receive': don't remember how much lead weight but the total weight probably was in the upper 30's.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:58 AM
warbird_1

warbird1
I lost mine 3 seasons ago at Joe Nall when the receiver didn't want to 'receive': don't remember how much lead weight but the total weight probably was in the upper 30's.
thanks, do you remember if the gear felt weak to you?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:59 AM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: RBSteffey123

Fellow RCU'ers. Good to see the thread is still active. I am planning to change the color scheme from Army Grey to Air-Force Yellow (Trainer style).
I need some advise on what paint to use to get this Texan Yellow. I have done prior builds using ''rattle-can'' paint and ''air-brush'' kit. One plane I painted with rattle-can, nobody believes me when I say it was painted, they look for a run. (Just go slow and light from about 18 inches).
Anyone know of a good brand of paint in rattle-can that is close to ''School bus yellow''?
ALSO
Who sells good price wheels for this Texan with Robart 161? Is it a 5'' wheel or 5 and 1/4 inch wheel?

Thanks,Rick
COMPLETED REPAIRS
I was able to build up the missing rear former that attached to the tail-wheel mount'' area in rear of fuse. Tight working area, but I was able to sketch a template and sand-fit, sand-fit sand-fit. Epoxied in and good to go.

Also installed Robarts fixed tail wheel.
PAINT
I lightly sanded the fuselage with an oscillating sander and 180 grit sand paper.
Light coat of white primer to prepare the body for paint.

Thanks eveyone for the pictures and feedback
Rick
''Learn from the mistakes of others.You won’t live long enough to make all of them yourself.''
i used the du-bro light wheels and i was lucky to find a set of aluminum caps for it as they don't sell them anymore
Old 06-04-2012, 10:16 AM
splinterz25

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is another good set of light wheels w/ ALUM hubs and not to much $$.
www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p

Old 06-04-2012, 10:20 AM
samparfitt

The gear was robarts and it was very sturdy.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:10 PM
OldDC

Hi there RCPilot78, yep still going with my project, have now finished all the panel lines and rivets. Got to spray silver on the wings as well but seems too bright to me even though I added black to it.
Will more than likely have to give it a light rub down with say 1200 wet/dry paper, I don't really mind though as I want to add the nonomclature using water slide decal sheet and add weathering etc. So either way I am bound to have to give it a light saturn clear coat to finish up.
I also got my painting masks today which I am very pleased with.

I will try to load some pics for you but have been having great problems with them loading, so please excuse me in advance if they don't load......here goes

Name:	Zx71251.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	1782369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41011.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	1782370  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.