Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

need a motor recommendation for a redcat caldera with 120a esc

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

need a motor recommendation for a redcat caldera with 120a esc

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 05:29 AM
xxturbowesxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a motor recommendation for a redcat caldera with 120a esc

First off the esc burned out which was totally my fault but either way I replaced it with a brushless hobbies 120a because its a steal over that 80a.

Now I need to pair it with a new motor as this one could barely handle a 35a and 3s.

I don't want to go faster just run cooler for bashing(why I got the 120a).

I don't particularly want more power because then the diffs start failing.

Does anyone know the motor that comes with the earthquake 8e since the cars share a drive train something like that should work well? I've heard the velineon motor can be a good match ibut may overpower the diffs.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:06 AM
xxturbowesxx

Default RE: need a motor recommendation for a redcat caldera with 120a esc

Bumpity
Old 05-13-2012, 06:10 AM
jayjay283

velineon is 3500kv 2 pole its pretty fast and robust. Castle Creations 1410 3800kv are 4 pole or new 1406 are 4 pole too. You want to stick with 3s ? if so id go with the 1410
Old 05-13-2012, 12:48 PM
thehuntingterminator

yeah don't get the Velineon. its a great motor for being a 2 pole, but it does have a tendency to run hot, like most Traxxas electronics. just get you a cheap Tacon 3660 from hobbypartz.com. it will have plenty of power and shouldn't overheat since its a 550 size motor.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:46 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

tacon motor or the VXL motor will work fine.

going to a 1/8 scale motor like the one from the 8E's will be rough on the truck (since unlike the 8E's the caldera doesnt have a center diff)

To make sure you dont have diff/drivetrain issues, make sure to set the ESC correctly. Most BL esc's today have punch control and brake force settings. The softer the punch and brake force, the less strain on the diffs/spur/dogbones.

Correctly setting the ESC will be more important than the motor choice.

also, for any 1/8 scale motor you might have to do some trimming of the chassis to get it to fit.

Stick with a 540 can motor. The VXL motor will run cooler than the stock Ezrun motor....since its larger. The stock motor was a 390 size, finned out to a 540. So the vxl motor is a larger motor and will have plenty of grunt and thus not have to work as hard as the stock motor did.
A tacon or similar motor that is 540 sized and that has a simillar KV rating to the stock motor will also work.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:26 AM
porterdog

I like the 1410 so much I bought a second one.   Very flexible, very efficient.  And it's green!

~$70/shipped off the bay; be careful as there are 3mm and 5mm shaft versions.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:53 PM
xxturbowesxx

I think I decided to get a tacon 540l 4000kv motor with a 15t pinion and set the punch on my esc to the min setting because this setup is going to have a lot more power (site says 1200 watts) I have a let's see attitude about it and if I start stripping spurs and diffs I will go with something slower.

The question I have is the tacon has a 5mm shaft so I have to use a mod 8 inion which is a little bit bigger in diameter than a 3mm 32p.. I just don't know how much so I ordered 1 tooth down(15t) thinking it should fit and went with a slightly higher kv motor.

Do you guys think the 15t will work if a 16t 3mm pinion did?

Is this motor too powerful for the Caldera with no center diff?

I only chose it because the standard 540 tacon motors are sold out and from what I can tell the 540l is slightly longer and slightly more powerful(not sure how much so)
Old 05-16-2012, 05:43 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

well, i have run a traxxas vxl system in a volcano epx pro on 3s lipo...with no punch control settings and I didnt have spur gear/diff issues.

whether or not you have diff/spur gear issues will depend how you drive it. putting the punch control down (also the braking force) will indeed help. bud if you land with the throttle on with that kinda power youll strip the spur.

you can put the most insane system in the truck and if you have a good trigger finger it will last a long time.

or you can run the stock system with a harsh trigger finger and break parts all the time.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:07 AM
xxturbowesxx

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

well, i have run a traxxas vxl system in a volcano epx pro on 3s lipo...with no punch control settings and I didnt have spur gear/diff issues.

whether or not you have diff/spur gear issues will depend how you drive it. putting the punch control down (also the braking force) will indeed help. bud if you land with the throttle on with that kinda power youll strip the spur.

you can put the most insane system in the truck and if you have a good trigger finger it will last a long time.

or you can run the stock system with a harsh trigger finger and break parts all the time.
How was it compared to stock..power wise?
Old 05-19-2012, 08:58 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: xxturbowesxx

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

How was it compared to stock..power wise?
when I ran mine with a vxl system...I also had 2.2 paddle tires (smaller than stock tires) which lowered the gearing. So I didnt add much top end. But the acceleration was faster and the motor temps were much cooler than the stock motor.
Larger motor doesnt always mean more speed...tho it can. All depends on how you gear it. If you keep the same size tires and gearing...the vxl system will provide slightly faster acceleration (on 2s, vs stock on 2s) but run much cooler.
On 3s it will obviously be much faster...and since the motor is larger you can run 3s without having to worry about overheating.

Think of it this way. The volcano epx pro doesnt weigh any more than a rustler vxl. There is a slight more drivetrain with the 4wd...but otherwise there is no reason the vxl system cant power the volcano to the same speeds it can a rustler!