Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

"Nosen Cessna 310 Club"

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

"Nosen Cessna 310 Club"

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 06:39 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: RE:

ORIGINAL: DelRay

Bill, I wasn't going to complain, but sice you're going to revise the list, please check Iowa-IA. Thanks, you can do Allen, the Handyman also if ya wanna, but I'm a nicer fella than he is.

Hey thanks Delray for the correction, I'm sure you and Allen are really both good old fellas..

OK Corrected all errors pointed out.

BTW the honor to have such a great bunch of followers and contributors to this thread for the
"Nosen Cessna 310 Club" belong to all that are on the list and new ones to follow, I know of
another 2 310's that are being built out there.

Bill D.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23774.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	1758589  
Old 05-04-2012, 04:31 PM
handyman_alw_
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill,

Just for the record i have moved to Arkansas so if you could update me when you have the time .

Thanks,

Allen
Old 05-05-2012, 04:35 AM
Bill Diedrich

ORIGINAL: handyman_alw_

Bill,

Just for the record i have moved to Arkansas so if you could update me when you have the time .

Thanks,

Allen

OK Allen did the change, moving further south I see, maybe well meet in the future on one of my trips to
Arkansas.

Don't know how far you are from the Arkansas Air Museum in Fayetteville, but they have some
really sharp aircraft there including the replica of the Mr. Mulligan that was built by Jim Younkin, of Springdale,
Arkansas. I believe that Jim has several aircraft he has restored there, might be a nice day trip for you.
I hope to make the trip to the museum some day soon in the near future myself.

http://arkairmuseum.org/aircraft/

Bill D.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:39 AM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Al, I miss ya already, are ya comin back for the "warbird" event? LOL, no tears yet, but I know I'm gonna miss all the b.s. you were so good at, and had an abundant supply of. Take care, all the best to you and the wife.

J.B.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:14 PM
handyman_alw_

Bill,

Thanks for the change. we used to live in fort smith 20 years ago so this is like going home for us . I flew R/C with bobby younkin 25 years ago and have been to the musuem several times but never hurts to go back. let me know the next time you are going to be in the area and we will see if we can have dinner or something.

Allen
Old 05-05-2012, 02:17 PM
handyman_alw_

Jim,

My friend i am not sure about the war bird event yet will have to wait and see where we go to work and if i can get the time off. i will be at owatonna this year though so maybe we can dish up some crap there.

Allen
Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

I just placed a order for retracts. I ordered a set of Hobby King 80cc T-28 retracts. They where $178 with shipping. That saves me cash to use on electric conversions by Down and Locked.

I think the 310 and the T-28 have about the same style of retracts. I can live with the front leg being 90° to the ground. Looks better anyway and I see Cessna correct this "mistake" on the latter models.

Knowing Hobby King like I do these retracts will just barley be strong enough for a 80cc sized plane if it never has a rough landing.

They will probably be rated just right for a 40cc size plane. Since I'm hoping to use G2300's 23cc engines I think this will be perfect for my 310.

Yes I know there is "0" support for these retracts. That's fine, as soon as I get my lathe and milling machine I'll be makeing my own support.

I'll post a review when they come in.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85348.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1760917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20401.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	1760918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94493.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1760919  
Old 05-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Clavin01
My Feedback: (193)

Please do I have been considering them myself.
and if you read the reviews you will find out the nose gear is 105 degree and the mains are 85 I believe.
That may have been a fluke, But hopefully they are as stated.
Cliff
Old 05-10-2012, 03:31 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE:

Are the struts on these retracts long enough? I am thinking about these as well. The G2300 motors are a real workhorse, I have one on a plans built giant scale BD-8. Mine took a while to brake in and get to idle correctly. I plan on removing it this coming winter and replace it with a DLE gasser.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:58 AM
AmishWarlord

I don't know yet. They are 6.5" long. I hope to turn a 16" 3-blade.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:10 PM
FlyBoy.15

Default RE:

Hi, 
I'm 15 years old, writing from deep east texas, and love to fly. I've seemed to inherret most of my dads large fleet of planes in which he has a  pare of 310s. One of them is partically built and the other is still in the box. The half built one has a pair of SATO 120s mocked up on it and wire landing gear. Dad bought it as is and hasen't changed since he got it. Have been keeping up with this forum and haven't seen anyone really knock the engines but we do plan on retracts, glass, and a few other bells and wistles. ( it won't be on the light side) As for the other it will be much of the same thing, for power we have a pair of SATO 300Ts that need a home. What yall think?? Sugestions -

Thanks, Ethan.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:21 PM
frankeldan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say a pair of saito 180 to 210's would do nicely in the heavier frame. I think the saito 120 would be minimum. I know this plane originally called for .60s ..but i have a pair of .40s on a twinstar and love the performance.

As far as your 300's .. I bit overkill for this plane.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:37 PM
FlyBoy.15

Default RE:

Thanks, i'm open to anything.

Have any ideas as to what they'ed be good for. there NIB

Old 05-11-2012, 07:53 PM
frankeldan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FlyBoy.15

Thanks, i'm open to anything.

Have any ideas as to what they'ed be good for. there NIB
Those 300 twins are awesome engines. They sound terrific and have loads of power. I would love to have one. I believe they are equal to a 40 / 50 cc gasser. Look on youtube for some ideas. They sound so much nicer than your run of the mill 40 cc gas engines .. Love that saito deep growl. I saw a guy put one on a large sundowner.. Overpowered to say the least.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:14 AM
AmishWarlord

I don't know which 1.20 engines you have but useing 1.20S specs of the engine I have putting out 2.1 HP at 9,000 RPM

Two 14x8 3-blade Masterairscew props you sould get 23.2 pounds of thrust at at estamated flying speed of 68 mph.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:54 AM
DelRay

Flyboy.15, My Nosen weighs in at about 38 pounds, glassed, painted, retracts. It flies fine on a pair of Saito 1.20's. I'm using Graupner , Super Extra 14/7 three bladed props. I replaced the two, older O.S. 1.20's with the Saitos two years ago, it flew fine with the old O.S. also, using the same props.
Watching the overall weight, it sounds like you're set in the power department. Myself, I would prefer a single cylinder for a twin application, but they do sound nice and are powerful.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Thisstrangeengine

Well I finally got out to fly today and took Old Faithful ( Goldberg Cub) and my 1/4 scale Lanier Laser 200 for some fun in the sun................ Then I heard it................. That distinct sound of 2 engines running in perfect harmony.....................OK WHERE IS IT?...................Nice!!! Full scale Cessna 310 flyover...... Ok, I'm done. Just needed to share.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:18 PM
DelRay

OK, I have to share my story, it involves a full scale 310 also. It was the "maiden" flight for my Nosen 310, over 30 years ago at the Monticello airport. We had just made a first flight, left the gear down, and everything went just fine.
We refueled , took off, and the second flight we checked the retracts out, again, everything went just fine. We noticed a full scale aircraft coming into the circuit, we landed and waited to see what they were going to do.
Gear down,flaps down, on aproach, here comes this beautiful Cessna 310. The gal in the left seat smiled and waved, hit the throttles and was gone. It was a good day for the 310, and we never did know who that was.
It sure made my day special for the first flight of my Nosen 310, and how often would something like that happen? Oh, the personal aircraft of that airport's manager was..............yup, a Cessna 310.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:25 PM
handyman_alw_

Yep,

now tell everyone how long it has been since you have flown your 310

sorry jim i could not help myself and besides i know you miss this.

Allen
Old 05-12-2012, 04:44 PM
handyman_alw_

Jim,
Since you are telling that story i will tell you mine. I had been looking at this plane for a couple of years before i bought the first kit but after doing so i started hanging out at the airport in fort smith ar and low and behold a cessna310p should up so i talked to the pilot and told him about our project and he told me i was welcome to take all the pictures of his airplane i wanted. Well you did not have to tell me twice i went home got the camera and shot 72 pictures of his airplane. This gentleman was from Mckinney Texas and had family in fort smith so he made the trip often. When we finished the plane but still had not flown it i called him to tell him it was complete and he asked if i could bring it to the airport to have pictures taken with the full scale, of course i said yes and we met that weekend. after taking mine apart and putting it away this man must of seen the droole running down my cheek for he ask me if we want to go for a ride. i took the right seat my wife took one rear seat and my builder took the other to say we had a great time would be a understatement we stayed out at least a half hour but it ended all to soon. We had a fly-inn not soon after and he did a low fly-by in the full scale and then came out to our field to watch me fly mine he took video and i still have a copy of that flight that i watch from time to time but i guess the best part is that not long after that i got a package in the mail and it was a magazine called the twin cessna flyer and there on the cover was both of our 310's i opened the front cover and there was the story of how mine came to be the twin cessna flyer was a magazine put out for all cessna twin owners. i still have my copy somewhere but since the move have not found it yet but that day is still in the front of my memeory and so is the love for this plane.

Allen
Old 05-12-2012, 07:04 PM
FlyBoy.15

Default RE:

thanks for the info, wasn't shure if the 120S's would have enought power to fly the thing and didn't want to find out after it was in the air. lol Considered using a pair of DLE 30's but thought the sound of twin 4-strokes would be ALOT better.

Will always take info and sugestions, I'll probably have more questions as I go throught the airplane...

Thanks again, Ethan.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Thisstrangeengine

Years ago we lost a flying site and needed to find a new place to fly. Well there was an ultalite field about 10 miles outside of Valley Forge National Park that one of the members found and approached the owner. Soon after we had a new flying site, which was great because the grass runway was almost endless and it was pretty much ready to fly from. Well this one particular weekend there was about 8-10 of us flying and I just happened to have my Cessna Bobcat in the air when all of a sudden someone yells "Full Scale coming in. It was the owner of the property doing a couple low passes over the field in his..........You guessed it........Cessna 310! I had already landed and taxied off the runway just in time to see this beautiful red and white 310 buzzing the field. I was sure he was going to land and was coming in low to let us know he was, but after a couple passes he flew off into the big blue sky... Never fotget that sound...
Old 05-13-2012, 03:19 AM
DelRay

Al, it has to be two years, the Multi Fly wasn't a go last year, but we were there the year before with the 310, but we don't remember seeing you there. I can't remember your excuses either, oh well,maybe the next time we meet you'll remind me. It was so many, how could I remember them all anyway, huh?
Old 05-13-2012, 03:35 AM
Bill Diedrich

Default RE:

Good morning Guys,

We have a new member to join our group, it is with great pleasure that I introduce Ethan

FlyBoy.15 #62 Texas

Welcome Ethan, glad to have you as one of the group here on RCU.

I think we should all feel very honored to have a young man of Ethan's age join our "Elite Group".
I for one, as I know most all of you will be more than glad to assist in his efforts to finish the build
on the Nosen Cessna 310 he is hoping to finish prior to starting school agian in the fall, by giving
your "Expert Opinions" to any and all questions that he may have.

Bill D.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:30 AM
handyman_alw_

Ethan,

Welcome to the group and let me just back up what bill said, If you can't find the answers here you will not find them anywhere for everyone of us is willing to help all you need to do is ask.

Allen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.