Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Why are tyres so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 03:52 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why are tyres so expensive?

Hey guys I want to get some onroad tyres for my losi 5ive so I don't ruin the stock ones... But they are so expensive...
Why, I can't see why they are so expensive?

I'm looking at least $150 for a set of 4 with rims.

Do hpi Baja wheels fit the losi 5ive with no worries?
Old 05-12-2012, 04:18 AM
romafern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why are tyres so expensive?

It could be the size....Almost like a life size tire. Don't know... but one thing I am aware for sure, is that the bigger the scale, the more money and more cool factor when you take your big rig out.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:34 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because people will pay it. RC car tires are notoriously over priced.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:32 PM
mike_humphreys

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Because people will pay it. RC car tires are notoriously over priced.

This is true but there is the R&D and the increase price in rubber. Some makes of tyre e.g 10th electric rubber can cost £35 -£45 a set and be worn out after a final at the top level but they stick like 5h1t to a blanket. I race large scale off road and there is only one make of tyre that works in the UK on astroturf and they have just gone up to £60 per pair (tyres, wheels & inserts) and thats unglued.

It is a rip off but it would only change if everyone made a stand and agreed to use another brand that was a fair price.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:36 PM
phmaximus

Well I just think its stupid, looking at the wheels they don't look anything speical they seem to be a big rip off.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:48 PM
mike_humphreys

Lots of things are a rip off £1.46 for a litre of diesel, £2.50 for a pint of beer, £6.50 for a packet of cigarettes - I could go on.....
Old 05-12-2012, 11:14 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

check ut hostile slick tires or the hpi onroad tires ,they go on sale at ddm sometimes.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:38 AM
phmaximus

seen the hostile for around $50 but thats not including postage and inserts or even wheels.... dont think i can justify getting a spare set..
Old 05-13-2012, 05:14 AM
romafern

Just like in any hobby, everything cost money. Unfortunately for me, I have too many.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:47 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

yea just keep an eye out for deals ..and stock-up.i sometimes buy from forum members who have barely used ones.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:57 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: romafern

Just like in any hobby, everything cost money. Unfortunately for me, I have too many.
same here my 5ive is my 15th current r/c....

for the price of the wheels forthis thing its a brushless setup & conversion for my xxx-nt
Old 05-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i run stock hpi wheels and tires normally just for this reason. Most of the other brand wheels and tires are retardly over priced. i can get real car tires cheaper so i know it isint the cost of rubber that makes the rc pirces so high. On e bay you can normally get the stocker hpi tires for 20 $ or so for a rear ser and the fronts are normally a bit cheaper.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:46 AM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Hey guys I want to get some onroad tyres for my losi 5ive so I don't ruin the stock ones... But they are so expensive...
Why, I can't see why they are so expensive?

I'm looking at least $150 for a set of 4 with rims.

Do hpi Baja wheels fit the losi 5ive with no worries?

It's called GREED my friend.......why is it that you can buy a set of 1/10 sct wheel sand 1/8th scale wheels MOUNTED for less? its all about greedy people in the 1/5th scale market....
Old 06-15-2012, 06:34 AM
mooman007uk

I've been looking into the cost of getting some wheels and tires made up, cost of molds is 10k for each, so tire, foam and wheel is 30k .you get close to 1mil hits off those but the initial outlay is not cheap (hence i have abandoned any idea of getting more MT options out there.) you also need to know your plastics and rubber compounds. there are many more nitro and electric punters than 1/5th scale so volume = cheaper hence the smaller scales being a lot cheaper....also alot of the race rubber comes out of europe where everything is twice the price to begin with than here

seeing as all the different manufacturers charge roughly the same price then one can assume 1 of 2 things or a bit of both...either they are colluding with the competition to price fix or they cost more to make than you think, also don't forget the chain of commerce....there are middle men to pay...manufacturer-distributer-dealer-punter all but the last one is marking up to make money
Old 06-15-2012, 02:16 PM
splcrazy

the reason it costs more for 1/5th scale is because the rubber needs to be of better quality because the power of the motors and the weight of the rc can easily destroy a set of brand new tires if they are cheaply made . you could get a complete set of brp tires mounted onto rims for $200 , they always cost around the same price for 1/5th no matter where you go .