Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

why are tires so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 08:30 AM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: why are tires so expensive?

ORIGINAL: hanly2

...he has a rustler vxl running 2s lipo...
I keep seeing this and thinking, "Really?! He's destroying tires on 2s?"

It's like others have said, reglue the tires and use a new lock nut (or pick up the aluminum hexes depending on which hex is stripping), and see how that goes. If he's strips the wheel hex again, then there's a deeper problem.

ORIGINAL: Foxy

You think you got it bad in the small scales? Tyr a gasser. These are $82, A PAIR! http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...perado-Wheel-2
That's true, they can get expensive, but that's also a fully assembled pair (beadlock rim, foam, tire). That whole assembly doesn't get purchased every time you wear out a set of tires.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:43 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Whya re they so expensive? cos we muppets continue to pay the inflated prices and other muppets keep playing the 'Tires have a lot of RnD!' card, which is frankly rubbish. They do have RnD, but no more than any other RC product.

You think you got it bad in the small scales? Tyr a gasser. These are $82, A PAIR! http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...perado-Wheel-2
one of the reasons why I do not own a 1/5th scale RC

holy frijoles!!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Phoenix XB Racer

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

Whya re they so expensive? cos we muppets continue to pay the inflated prices and other muppets keep playing the 'Tires have a lot of RnD!' card, which is frankly rubbish. They do have RnD, but no more than any other RC product.

holy frijoles!!
Lol, you could buy a cheap 1/10 for the price of 4 tires.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:55 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Phoenix XB Racer

holy frijoles!!
Lol, you could buy a cheap 1/10 for the price of 4 tires.[img][/img]
pretty much
Old 05-15-2012, 12:40 PM
bkfamily1
My Feedback: (1)

seems like I read somewhere that you can turn the tires inside out and put duct tape on the inside, then flip them back and glue them on to stop them from stretching so much and breaking the glue bead - or I could have imagined it!
Old 05-15-2012, 01:04 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

They're expensive because people like me are willing to pay for them.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:46 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: cheezer1222

ORIGINAL: hanly2

...he has a rustler vxl running 2s lipo...
I keep seeing this and thinking, ''Really?! He's destroying tires on 2s?''

It's like others have said, reglue the tires and use a new lock nut (or pick up the aluminum hexes depending on which hex is stripping), and see how that goes. If he's strips the wheel hex again, then there's a deeper problem.

That's true, they can get expensive, but that's also a fully assembled pair (beadlock rim, foam, tire). That whole assembly doesn't get purchased every time you wear out a set of tires.
Don't know about that, I'm looking $80 for 2 hostile slicks forn my 5ive... That's just tyres and postage
Old 05-15-2012, 03:22 PM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Don't know about that, I'm looking $80 for 2 hostile slicks for my 5ive... That's just tyres and postage
Yes, that's about right for tires and postage.... TO AUSTRALIA!!!

You're looking at about $47 shipped for a set of hostile slicks to anywhere in the U.S. That's retail. I usually never buy new tires unless they're on sale. When ddm has hostile tires on their deal of the day, they're about $30 plus shipping. Still not super cheap, but hostile tires last me quite a while.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:48 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

dunno best tires I think I've ever had, and IMO worth it were the 2.2in dirthawgs that they had on the original HPI nitro MT1 I bought a extremely used MT1 3 years ago with the stock tires, they outlasted the RC, the rims they came on, are on their 3rd or 4th RC now, and STILL look brand friggin new. Seriously I grounded down a buggy tire on the one RC I put them on now, and are lasting.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:00 PM
The_Shark

dunno best tires I think I've ever had, and IMO worth it were the 2.2in dirthawgs that they had on the original HPI nitro MT1 I bought a extremely used MT1 3 years ago with the stock tires, they outlasted the RC, the rims they came on, are on their 3rd or 4th RC now, and STILL look brand friggin new. Seriously I grounded down a buggy tire on the one RC I put them on now, and are lasting.
those are chevron style right? or are they the chunky tredded tires?

t-maxx tires live FOREVER, i have a 1999 version with the original tires and wheels and is driven on the street a lot, oftentimes driving on the sidewalls. NO wear at all.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:04 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

those are chevron style right? or are they the chunky tredded tires?

t-maxx tires live FOREVER, i have a 1999 version with the original tires and wheels and is driven on the street a lot, oftentimes driving on the sidewalls. NO wear at all.
chunky

they make them still, but incremented them to Dirt Hawg II (probably made out of cheaper materials to make em actually wear )

odd thing though I run mine a lot on concrete which should grind that down, and I was doing royally skiding on them in one oof my Brushless RC's which I thought for sure would have done em in.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:43 PM
The_Shark

pin tires suck for anything but loose dirt and the track.... wear wise.

i did this in about 15 minutes, after the pins where gone they really haven't gotten worse.. Jammin power for the win!

YES i run with a pipe, i just finished cleaning it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61352.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1763097  
Old 05-16-2012, 05:09 AM
tymtofly2

Hey man, tires can be a pain especially buying used. When buying used, you don't know if they were glued on properly (like cleaning off the form oil from the rims first, using high quality ca, etc.) and they have already been beaten on. If you want a set of long lasting bashing tires, here are a couple tips. Harder compound tiresballoon less and wear longer. They are a much better Choice for your son. Soft compound tires are for high grip but wear out quickly andballoon much more which can easily break the glue or tear the bead. If gluing tires, always wash the rimsand tires first to remove any oil left from the manufacturing process. I hope this helps and good luck.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:23 AM
porterdog

Busted hexes?  Loosen the slipper some to decrease the shock loading.

Balooning tires?  Definitely tape the next set- I did that to the Masher2Ks on my kid's Rusty and one tape job recently let go; it's comical the difference between them now.

The Masher2Ks have lasted really well; he also likes to do donuts and to 'splat dirt around'.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:29 AM
hanly2

ORIGINAL: tymtofly2

Hey man, tires can be a pain especially buying used. When buying used, you don't know if they were glued on properly (like cleaning off the form oil from the rims first, using high quality ca, etc.) and they have already been beaten on. If you want a set of long lasting bashing tires, here are a couple tips. Harder compound tiresballoon less and wear longer. They are a much better Choice for your son. Soft compound tires are for high grip but wear out quickly andballoon much more which can easily break the glue or tear the bead. If gluing tires, always wash the rimsand tires first to remove any oil left from the manufacturing process. I hope this helps and good luck.
I like this info, so how do I tell how hard the compound is? Are the dirt hawgs a nice hard compound or should I look for something harder?

Old 05-16-2012, 11:08 AM
The_Shark

put a piece of foam on the back of the trigger if all else fails