Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

HOBBY king going down the tube?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

HOBBY king going down the tube?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:47 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HOBBY king going down the tube?

I think more progress was made when people began writing about world events, peace, the price of gold, and the future of G.I. Joe.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:24 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

I think more progress was made when people began writing about world events, peace, the price of gold, and the future of G.I. Joe.
Good points. Yet, it would be hard to discuss G.I.Joe now since it is G.I.Neuter or G.I.IT or who knows what now.

I was reading this thread and I got to thinking, we can buy crap right here in the US without service as well just like HK. It is just that HK is a higher risk because it is hard to drive down the street and get something done about it. Heck, some of the garbage sold here in the states you won't get any service on!

Ask me how I know. Maybe it makes us feel better that we can talk to someone and in more cases get something done about it. I have bought crap airplanes right here in the states and not got a lick of service from the dealer. So that means the dealer loses all future sales from me unless some dramatic change takes place on their end.

I don't buy much from HK, yet when I do I weigh my risk as I do with any shop that does not have a high reputation for service or product backing. I only buy certain items that I am willing to take and forgo the risk on. I would not purchase an ARF from them unless I was totally confident that I could live with expectation that it was worth the risk and the lot could fall on me and I lose out. The plane could come without parts that could be very hard to obtain. To me that is too high of a risk so I do not buy planes from HK. You would do better at a swap meet where you could at least check the plane over.

At any rate, always interesting to see how people view the chinamen's hobby centers
Old 05-15-2012, 05:41 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCMagician

ORIGINAL: jayjay283

hobbypartz.com has cheap chinese crap too, good luck with them aswell, if it shows up noce, best friggn deal ever, if not meeh order it again
It's not all aboutcheap chinese crap.
recently I ordered (and got on time ) few A123 batteries. the cost was almost half the other stores and the product is genuine A123 Systems....
You can also order genuine Futaba for less money, of genuine PowerBox for nice price.
As you can see, it dont have to be "cheap chinese crap"

Now I'm waiting for few cheap chineseservos from HK, let's see what will happen

No, very likely you got some not so very well counterfeited A123 Systems batteries that have shown up on the market. Not having to worry about patent and copyright laws, they have no problem selling rip-off products to foreigners looking for a bargain.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:03 AM
topspin

hobbypartz.com has cheap chinese crap too, good luck with them aswell, if it shows up noce, best friggn deal ever, if not meeh order it again
It's not all about cheap chinese crap.
recently I ordered (and got on time [img][/img]) few A123 batteries. the cost was almost half the other stores and the product is genuine A123 Systems....
You can also order genuine Futaba for less money, of genuine PowerBox for nice price.
As you can see, it dont have to be ''cheap chinese crap '' [img][/img]

Now I'm waiting for few cheap chinese servos from HK, let's see what will happen [img][/img]

Assuming they actually show up before the technology changes They won't center or half of them will be duds.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:33 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

We just can beat their minimum wage. It's like $0.05 per hr. so with those low manufacturing cost they can sell cheap ans still make a profit

Exactly. The average for industrialized cities in China, manufacturing jobs, $1.00 per hour.

Gerry
Old 05-15-2012, 07:40 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

I have had some good luck with less expensive servos of no-name brand... it is not always the name brand that makes them good. Just keep paying $300 for those Air Jordans. I will just laugh myself silly watching you strut around.

ORIGINAL: topspin
Assuming they actually show up before the technology changes They won't center or half of them will be duds.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:43 AM
snir2001

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

It's not all aboutcheap chinese crap.
recently I ordered (and got on time ) few A123 batteries. the cost was almost half the other stores and the product is genuine A123 Systems....
As you can see, it dont have to be "cheap chinese crap"

Now I'm waiting for few cheap chineseservos from HK, let's see what will happen

No, very likely you got some not so very well counterfeited A123 Systems batteries that have shown up on the market. Not having to worry about patent and copyright laws, they have no problem selling rip-off products to foreigners looking for a bargain.

Oh no my friend, I got the REAL A123. That's for sure!
Checked and tested, and I will order some more.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:24 AM
topspin

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

I have had some good luck with less expensive servos of no-name brand... it is not always the name brand that makes them good. Just keep paying $300 for those Air Jordans. I will just laugh myself silly watching you strut around.

ORIGINAL: topspin
At least I can afford them.....

Why anyone buys anything from those commie pirates is beyond me. There are hundreds of complaints every week all over the internet about getting ripped off by them. Back when they were United Hobby and sold on Ebay they got banned from selling on Ebay because they were ripping so many people off. Then they changed their name and did the same thing and got banned again. They have a history of ripping people off and that has not changed one bit.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:31 AM
spog1

Why anyone buys anything from those commie pirates is beyond me.
Reading is definitely not your strong suit.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:10 AM
IfIHadWings

The only way to get any response from HK/Nitroplanes these days is to post your situation on their RC Discuss forum...Nitro Support.  I bought the same plane but as RTF.  Tx/Rx were junk (newbie at the time...lesson learned) and they eventually sent a replacement Tx but it is collecting dust while I'm using a DX7s.  Bottom line, HK/Nitro won't answer the phone or reply to a ticket but they may reply on their forum.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:59 AM
wallace.tharp

Yukon, you out of razer blades up there in Kanuk land? What's up with the superior atitude? I admitt that America is kind of going down the tubes. You know of course that you are an American, a North American and you all have your problems too. How you doing on that French and English thing? Seriously, I love Canada! My mother was born there. I belonged to Midnight Sun R/C Club in Fairbanks, AK for 16 years. I loved the Yukon Territory, especially Dawson City. What kind of R/C do you fly? Sincerely, Wallace L. Tharp
Old 05-15-2012, 11:59 AM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What gets me is the shillls that come here and swear what great service that got. One person on this thread , at last check, had only 6 posts and everyone of them were pro HK.

HK advertises and pays users to answer questions to desenters and promote their (HK) lousy service, rip offs, and down right scams. I don't buy anything from HK as reported by another user that claims he has nothing to do with HK, yet he knew I had never ordered from them.

go figure!

A shill is a person who poses as a customer in order to decoy others into participating, as at a gambling house, auction, confidence game, etc.
or a person who publicizes or praises something or someone for reasons of self-interest, personal profit, or friendship or loyalty.

A shill, is a person who publicly helps a person or organization without disclosing that he has a close relationship with that person or organization. Shill typically refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression that he is an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller for whom he is secretly working. The person or group who hires the shill is using crowd psychology, to encourage other onlookers or audience members to purchase the goods or services. Shills are often employed by professional marketing campaigns. Shill more commonly refer to any person who is secretly in league with another person or organization while pretending to be neutral or actually a part of the organization he is planted in, such as a forum.

Shilling is an illegal activity also know as a criminal act.

Frank

Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 PM
wallace.tharp

Ok Frank, so who is it? Wallace L. Tharp
Old 05-15-2012, 12:28 PM
aerofly0610

This thread is better than a Soap Opera!!! You guys crack me up!!!!  Thanks for the chuckles and smiles, you made my day. 
Old 05-15-2012, 12:42 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What gets me is the people that come on here and make excuses for HK because of their supposedly low profitmargin but IMO there is
no excuse for what HK is doing.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:31 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: wallace.tharp

Ok Frank, so who is it? Wallace L. Tharp

I am not going to point anyone out. I already have two many points and warnings from the other site for doing so.

But heres a hint: they usually have less than 10 posts. And all ten posts usually have something to do with HK.

Most of the time they will start out with their first post: " I have ordered thousands of dollars worth of stuff from HK and never had a problem." Sometimes they will say something like, " I have ordered thousands of dollars merchandise from HK, I received a bad servo but they replaced it with no questions asked. And I got it in just 5 days. "

OR,

I ordered 5 servos, and they screwed me over. I'm going to stop payment on my CC. The next post, Everything is well, I got my servos after talking to HK on chat. There was just a mix up. Got my servos in 6 days plus a free gift. Great service, I will be ordering again, they've got all my business from now on. Yadda, Yadda, Yadda.

But it's not you.

Frank

Old 05-15-2012, 05:34 PM
silvermansteve
My Feedback: (2)

OF COURSE op has a right to an intact wing. i consider every HK order a gamble now, and wouldn't order more than i'm prepared to lose. because i ASSUME no customer service from them. also, calling someone a crybaby for wanting an intact kit is rude but kind of funny too.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:55 PM
topspin

ORIGINAL: silvermansteve

OF COURSE op has a right to an intact wing. i consider every HK order a gamble now, and wouldn't order more than i'm prepared to lose. because i ASSUME no customer service from them. also, calling someone a crybaby for wanting an intact kit is rude but kind of funny too.

Given my past experience with them and what I know know from other sources I wouldn't order from them at all. It's no longer a just a gamble, it's practically a given. They continue to advertise for new hires yet they can't seem to hire any CS people. They don't want to, customer service is not in their business model. They are using the same basic tactics they used when they got kicked off of Ebay and that's just unacceptable to me.

Buy ther if you want to but I'll spend my money with a company that will at least show me a little respect and provide reasonable service.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 PM
rino
My Feedback: (121)

You know why I don't have problems with HK, because I'm smart. Certain, very low cost items like 160mah batteries for micros for $1.50 are a win-win. So what if you get a bad one in a batch. Just chuck it. But, if you are a proficient pilot you know their planes are crap. I've seen so much of their stuff at the field - including Banana and Nitro - that barely gets off the ground it's comical. Guys say, I paid $89 for this jet and I got 3 flights out of it before the ESC popped and I burned in...and so goes the story. Guys, this Chinese stuff is poorly designed and constructed and flies like total crap. It's not fun to fly, it barely flies, and in general is a waste of money. And if you are into wasting your money or you just suck as a pilot then buy their crap. You deserve it.

In general, HK products under-perform. I learned the hard way whey I bought several 6S 5000 packs and two of them were leaking when I they arrived. After yelling at them on the phone - litereally - and threatening to turn them in to their local business bureau - they don't like that - I got new batteries. But, it cost me $20 each to send them back to China and I waited weeks to get new ones. Now I fly Hyperion and am very happy with their products and service. I did get a bad Hyperion once and had 2 new replacement packs to cover my bad one in about a week. NOW THAT'S SERVICE.

My last two very small purchases from HK - micro batteries - took close to 8 weeks to arrive and they were in stock when ordered. So yes, their service is getting worse.

I really can't believe all of you who have made excuses for the wing damage that the person who started the thread had. It's like you accept poor quality and expect to be ripped off. We'll you deserve to be ripped off cause you're a bunch of suckers.

Support US businesses. The mfg. may be done overseas but the money for the higher-quality products by and large stays here. The Horizon line of small planes are terrific and you won't find anything that HK sells stock that comes close to a Parkzone T28 or some of the other bind and fly plane. Yeps, they are twice as much, fly 10 times better and last 4 times longer. And, any time you have questions or need parts HH is just a phone call away. My T28 with a Power 10 does about 90 mph on 4S with the stock ESC and servos and I've been flying it for years. I race mustangs while the HK guys nurse their planes into the air and just barely keep them flying at WOT and call it a bargain. They also crash a lot
Old 05-16-2012, 03:12 AM
spog1

You know why I don't have problems with HK, because I'm smart.
Exactly. Do your homework before you buy from anywhere and you will not be starting another thread like this. You can claim ignorance if you want, but the truth is it has more to do with intelligence.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:30 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: silvermansteve

i consider every HK order a gamble now, and wouldn't order more than i'm prepared to lose. because i ASSUME no customer service from them.
This is basically my take as well. One should never order more than they are prepared to lose should the worse situation happen. Never order from them if you are in a hurry and are not willing to take the risk. Over the years I have only ordered a small number of orders and to date I have not had one issue that was a big deal at all.

I did have one part that was not threaded properly so I just tapped it out and moved on. It was 1/10 of the US compared part. I think why we buy from companies like HK is that we feel so gouged by US companies that we know the markup is outrageous at times and do indeed look for a bargain. We also want our dollar to extend as far as we possibly can make it go. Take for example radio knobs or straps. You can buy either item for a few bucks from certain foreign suppliers and for some reason in the states the item is marked up about 8-10 times on average! Why do you think that is? Why is a 3 dollar strap almost 20 dollars?

The irony is that type of item is purchased from and manufactured by a small handful of suppliers. Some might say the quality sucks, but that is not so. I have bought both, compared them, and in some cases the alternative source product was higher quality than the US counterpart. It shows you what it takes to make businesses work in the US economy. I was in retail businesses for most of my life and can share from experience. I have been there and done that.

I used to be ashamed to sell some of the items I had because of the markup and often would mark them down and take the hit. I often would just sell at cost because I knew the items were marked up too high. That is one reason I am not in business today as my conscience struggled with the "game" of retail.

With that being stated, I know just how much of a risk I am willing to take with HK. I order from mostly from US businesses with the occasional HK order thrown in between - maybe 200-500 a year (closer to 200), if that. This is low risk based on my budget for RC stuff. Hopefully others can be wise with these companies.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:08 AM
GaryA

If you deal with HK.... all I can say is...... Here's your sign!! [8D]
Old 05-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Joe Black
My Feedback: (3)

I simply will not order from HK unless it is in the U.S. warehouse, and I will never buy another plane from them. Only batteries and support  equipment.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:44 AM
DL8698

ORIGINAL: countilaw

What gets me is the shillls that come here and swear what great service that got. One person on this thread , at last check, had only 6 posts and everyone of them were pro HK.

HK advertises and pays users to answer questions to desenters and promote their (HK) lousy service, rip offs, and down right scams. I don't buy anything from HK as reported by another user that claims he has nothing to do with HK, yet he knew I had never ordered from them.

go figure!

A shill is a person who poses as a customer in order to decoy others into participating, as at a gambling house, auction, confidence game, etc.
or a person who publicizes or praises something or someone for reasons of self-interest, personal profit, or friendship or loyalty.

A shill, is a person who publicly helps a person or organization without disclosing that he has a close relationship with that person or organization. Shill typically refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression that he is an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller for whom he is secretly working. The person or group who hires the shill is using crowd psychology, to encourage other onlookers or audience members to purchase the goods or services. Shills are often employed by professional marketing campaigns. Shill more commonly refer to any person who is secretly in league with another person or organization while pretending to be neutral or actually a part of the organization he is planted in, such as a forum.

Shilling is an illegal activity also know as a criminal act.

Frank

Before you get too smug hiding behind the anonymity of the internet, you better be aware that, to in the same breath accuse people of being "shills" ( first time I heard of this word) and say that "shilling" is an illegal activity, (ie, you are accusing some people here of being criminals), there have been cases where people have been sued successfully for defamatory statements made over the internet.

BE VERY SURE OF YOUR FACTS BEFORE YOU SHOOT OFF YOUR MOUTH!!

Just because someone only has a few posts here does not make him a shill who just comes in to defend a company. The same person can be an active contributor on some other forums, which of course, you did not know about, did you? And would he still have been a shill if he had defended a company that you were happy with? Well, of course not!

Old 05-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Luchnia

I wonder if anyone knows anyone that has actually had a suite brought against them for defemation of character. I have heard about it happening and folks being sued over it. It is very serious as it affects a person's livelihood.

Here is the legal definition:

Defamation = Any intentional false communication, either written or spoken, that harms a person's reputation; decreases the respect, regard, or confidence in which a person is held; or induces disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against a person.

Defamation may be a criminal or civil charge. It encompasses both written statements, known as libel, and spoken statements, called slander.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.