Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Cobra Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Cobra Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Cobra Build Thread

Yep, here it resides and was already getting lost?? I thought it would get a lot more play with real kit builders reading it instead of a bunch of beginners that only understand the assembly process of an ARF. It was just about ready to land on page two.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:28 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shhhh Gray Beard.

I've been secretly amassing a huge horde of plans wile these kit nuts have been bidding up $250 Ugly Sticks and 4-Star kits on ebay.

I tell you what, a horde of plans takes up a lot less space also than a basement or atic full of kit boxes.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

Shhhh Gray Beard.

I've been secretly amassing a huge horde of plans wile these kit nuts have been bidding up $250 Ugly Sticks and 4-Star kits on ebay.

I tell you what, a horde of plans takes up a lot less space also than a basement or atic full of kit boxes.
I have been spending a lot of time getting rid of a lot of plans I had taking up room in my shops closet. Make sure you markand lable everything so you can see what it is wothout un-rolling them. That was a pain in the butt.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:47 AM
y2k6vette

It just seems like taking care of a home, being available for family and friends, and fitting it some serious couch-potato time is interfering with my progress on the Cobra. Lately I've been finishing some fairings around the landing gear struts. Have both sides fleshed-out now and am beginning the sanding and filling before I bolt the wheel pants to them.

Sometimes I wonder about wheel pants...most of them last long enough for the initial pictures and then a trip down a rough dirt field on take-off or landing will dislodge them rather easily. I've never flown off paved runways before so I don't know what "smooth" feels like. Oh well, they look good to start with, eh?
When I actually get the fairings and wheel pants (along with wheels of course) I'll post some pictures.

In the meantime I'm turning off my cell phone and breaking out some fresh sandpaper.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:46 AM
AmishWarlord

Got to cut out TV. That will give ya 10 to 20 shop hours a week easy.

I'm having problems with Facebook cutting into my shop time. I sit down just to make one quick post then I somehow lose four hours.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Gray Beard

I do all my test flying and trim work before I ever put on wheel pants. I learned to never install the pants for anything other then photos on a new plane. When it's time I mount them. I use ply on the inside for hard mounting them to the landing gear. I don't fool with these mounts that are designed to flex or move if I smack something. Just do it but don't do it before it is time. I tell people that but they just have to have there plane looking way cool for the first few flights. Then I listen to them piss and moan when they have a bad landing with there new plane and the pants get hammered. Just leave them off for a while and get useed to the plane.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:42 AM
y2k6vette

Gray Beard,

Right on with the wheel pants going on after all else checks out! Even then some of mine are shortlived......others last a long time....don't figger.

P.S.

Yesterday the temperature here was a sizzling 90 degrees! That's the earliest ever for a 90 degree day here; and I would like to reqest that you close the door on the hot Nevada south winds and let me get back to the 70's and 80's I like this time of year! (Yeah, I know, you can fly in the winter while I'm up to my keeester in snow!)
Old 05-17-2012, 05:44 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HA!!!

Shhhhhh! ....don't tell anyone. I'm one of those that must use wheelpants. I'm a a glutten for punishment.

But, since I fly classic pattern airplanes now, I don't lose many wheel pants these days.

Brian
Old 05-17-2012, 11:15 PM
AmishWarlord

I'm going to try magnets on mine.

http://www.modelairplanenews-digital...203?pg=18#pg18

Old 08-15-2012, 06:27 AM
y2k6vette

OK, here's my excuse: got side-tracked again on some other projects; and decided to put the Cobra aside to be finished this winter. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Actually, every time I walk by it I feel guilty for letting it just sit there.

It was difficult to find this thread to see how things are coming along with everybody else. Have you all been side-tracked too? Is anybody presently working on this beautiful bird? If you are, it would be nice to hear from you and see some pix if you have them. I really need a swift kick to get jump started again; and some words from you builders would certainly help.

The engine awaits some real flying time I promised it a long time ago. Just before retiring the Cobra to the "to do" room, I weighed it (forgot what it was), but realized I'm up to my old tricks of building too HEAVY! I will go back and see if I can lighten it up here and there. I have a very bad habit of reinforcing everything! And I can't seem to remember the old adage: "Build 'em to fly, not to crash"!

Well, that's all folks! Hope to hear from you.

Steve