Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Helisim RC help

Old 02-21-2012, 01:29 PM
glandry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helisim RC help

Iam new to the world of helicopters and really excited with learning to fly. I have been trying to hover on the beginners helicopter in helisim and the helicopter is all over the place. I have a cheap transmitter that Igot on line for about 13 bucks. Not sure if its because of the cheap transmitter or just me. No matter how hard Itry or how hard Itry to anticipate the movement, the helicopter takes off all over the place.
Is it really that hard to hover a helicopter? Iknow that it will have a left bank automatically due to ground effects so I even tried to compensate for that as well. Ihave calibrated the transmitter several times with no prevail. I have read alot of forums with beginners getting frustrated with hovering. Is there any good tips out there to get me going in the right direction or is it just practice? Sure would appreciate any pointers from you experts out there.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 AM
youngb87

Default RE: Helisim RC help

Ummm. It shouldn't be that hard. I think I might have to say this is a result of a poor transmitter. What kind is it? it may be to sensitive. See if there is a way to tone down the control sensitivities in the Sim. Use very light control movement on the transmitter ( that parts normal). If you really want to get into helis, you might want to step up and get a better sim maybe. I use RealFlight. works great. Or Pheonix.

On a side note, that left bank on lift off is a resuld of the tail rotor. You may notice while hovering, your heli will naturaly lean right to counter act it. You will only notice it on lift off because you heli is level.

Its practice practice practice!!! Hovering is the hardest step to learn and it should be fun learning. A great tool for me if RADD's School of Rotory Flight. Read the Flying > How to Hover section. Does WONDERS!!!!!

http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html

Another good site is: http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/index.html

Good luck and stick with it!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:51 AM
youngb87

Ummm. It shouldn't be that hard. I think I might have to say this is a result of a poor transmitter. What kind is it? it may be to sensitive. See if there is a way to tone down the control sensitivities in the Sim. Use very light control movement on the transmitter ( that parts normal). If you really want to get into helis, you might want to step up and get a better sim maybe. I use RealFlight. works great. Or Pheonix.

On a side note, that left bank on lift off is a resuld of the tail rotor. You may notice while hovering, your heli will naturaly lean right to counter act it. You will only notice it on lift off because you heli is level.

Its practice practice practice!!! Hovering is the hardest step to learn and it should be fun learning. A great tool for me if RADD's School of Rotory Flight. Read the Flying > How to Hover section. Does WONDERS!!!!!

http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html

Another good site is: http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/index.html

Good luck and stick with it!
Old 02-23-2012, 05:54 PM
glandry

Isure appeciate the help. Ithink you are right. Ibought this on line for 13 bucks for the simulator transmitter. Inoticed the slightest response on my stick has no affect and then Imove the stick even more and then its all over the place. The throttle is also up and down. Even when Islowly increase throttle, it will come up and then go down. So I increase throttles again and then it takes off. No happy middle if you know what Imean. The response is kind of slow once the sticks are moved to get a little response. I got some throttle and pitch curves from some forum that Ithought would help. It helped a little but not where near whereit needs to be. Anyway...I think its time for a new box. Thanks again.
Oh by the way, Ilove these helicopters. Sure be glad when I can fly them!!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:09 PM
glandry

By the way, great sites. Thanks again.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:37 PM
youngb87

No Problem at all! Have you flown a heli before of any kind? If you haven't gotten one or when you go to a step up, Read the RC Helicopter Fun website under the "Getting Started" section as well as "Best Helicopter". A wealth of information that helped me out and, in my opinion, is dead on. Its an expensive hobby and if you go to cheap, it will ruin your experience!
Old 02-24-2012, 11:23 AM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lesson one, get a good sim. I prefer Real Flight G 5.5. Comes with a Futaba Type controller. There are others out there as well. Helicopter flight(Good bird/equipment+SIM) will run you right around 500-$1000 to become proficient and purchase all the necessary equipment and replacement parts. You can certainly go cheaper than that and do like I did and buy used. You really need to know how to inspect the helicopter if you do this. Mine needed roughly $60 in parts once I looked it over before I would fly it. Find someone that can fly to help you if possible. I started on a 300 size(Blade CP Pro), then a Belt CP (450 size), now I have .30 size Nitro that I fly. I had a Larger JR Ergo .60 and was by far the easiest to learn on due to it's weight and stability. Expensive to crash though and substantially more dangerous to operate as it could kill you. Not trying to scare you off, just the reality of learning to fly these AIRCRAFT. They are not toys once you get above a 300 size electric. 450s can break bones and slice you wide open if not respected. What I always loved about helicopters is you can fly them almost anywhere and even if you crash, you can usually repair them to fly again. That is much more difficult if you crash a plane and damage a wing. Bottom line is, are your serious about learning to fly and plan on flying long term. To enjoy it like so many others, it takes time, practice, practice, and an investement whether you go totally Electric , Nitro, Gas or even Turbine(Big Bucks). Any go0d hoby shop with RC stuff will have a Real Flight G version for trial in their store. Go give it a whirl and you'll be the next RC addict like most of us on here.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:28 PM
glandry

The only Heli I have flown are the small coaxal helis. And as you know, they are nothing like a CP Heli. Talking to a lot of heli guys, They recommend starting out with a CP. They indicated that Iwould get bored fast with a FP Heli. I also want to get at least a 450 series for flying outside. I don't have a big space inside for flying small helis.
Iknow I have to start out slow and want to work on the simulator as much as possible before I proceed ito the real thing.
I think I am going to by the DS6i transmiitter. This should be all I need. Folks I have been talking to recommend going to the DS8 but a little out of my price range.
By the way, Iam already into that website you sent. Great site!
Old 02-25-2012, 03:53 AM
glandry

Ijust wanted to say thanks for the website. Iwas on this site until midnight. Especially the set up, blade tracking, flight lessonsetc.He even talked aboutlimiting colective pitch for beginners. Itried this in Helisim and it worked really well. Iam not all over the place anymoreand working on the hover. Ibelieve Iam going to get the blade 450. Indicating that it will be a little easier to handle then the little mini ones. Plus Iwant to fly this out doors since Iam limited to space inside.
Plan to take it slow and continue to learn this great hobby. Ithink Iam hooked!!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:34 PM
youngb87

The Blade 450 is a great heli to start on. I just bought on a few weeks ago and loving it. That website has a wealth of information. And I'm glade it's helping you. As well with this site. If you didn't know, the ready to fly set for the blade has the transmitter your looking for in it and it does work great. You can really set it up to your style!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:25 AM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

A couple more sites that are really good, [link=http://www.helifreak.com/]Helifreak[/link] and [link=http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/home/]Runryder[/link]. Tons and tons of reading and information to be had at those sites.

I started with a Raptor 50, no sim, and my first few hovers were knee shaking. Had to think about every little input. I'd lift it off, hover for a few seconds then set it back down and breathe. lol.

Depending on your sim, you could also try putting in some expo and that might dull down the hovering a little for you.

Have fun, it gets addicting real fast.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:16 AM
glandry

Yeah, thats one of the other reasons Ichose the Blade 450 was because of the radio and because of the size. Ithink it will be a little more stable.
Still trying to hover in Helisim. Iset up my Throttle curve to 0, 25, 60, 70, 85 and set my pitch curve to 50, 55, 60, 65, 70. Wanted to tame it down a bit.
Having issues with throttle though. Not sure if its my cheap transmitter or its just me. If Itry to move the throttle up it tends to take off and if Ibring it down a little, it just lands on the ground. No happy medium. But on the positive side, Iam getting a little better on the controls with maintaining rudder and left and right cyclic as well. Iam loving this hobby.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:20 AM
glandry

Thanks for the advise. Ithinkmy expo is at 20%. Do I go higher? Also, I know when I get my Blade 450 my knees will be shaking as well. Ithink I am going to follow the flight school videos onthe websiteand work each of themuntil I am extremely confident with my abilities before I lift off. Just don't want to crash 5 minutes into my first flight.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:22 AM
youngb87

Try a throttle curve of about 0, 25, 50, 72, 72. That will slow the head speed down a little making it a little more docile.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:31 AM
youngb87

Also........ adjust that pitch curve so you would have 0 pitch at half stick. that way you wont just take off on you.....
Old 03-02-2012, 03:40 PM
glandry

Man you guys are great. I will try the throttle curves you gave me. What should my pitch curve be? How do Iset the pitch curve to 0? Iam thinking the curve should be 0 at 50%? So maybe it should be: 50, 55, 0, 65, 70?
By the way, Isure am getting a lot of knowledge on the website you guys provided. Ieven bought the book for set up, maintence, balancing the rotor, all that good stuff.
Just kind of frustrated that Ican hover in helisim yet. Errrrrr
Old 03-11-2012, 06:43 PM
Jorge Obama

nao entendo? o que.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:30 AM
glandry

Just thought I would let you guys know, Ibought a TREX 500 Kit. I is just about finished. Ifigured if Icrash, Iwill know how to fix it since Ibuilt it. Ijust had one question for you guys. I am not sure if any of you have built the TREX 500 but my drawings show no screws to holdmy DS510 servo arms on. Is there a reason for that or are the drawings messed up. Iknow they should have screws but don't want to put the wrong ones in them. Sure would appreciate your help.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:01 AM
youngb87

You should ALWAYS have the screws in that hold thearm into the servo. Wouldn't wantan arm to come off the servo in flight would we. Its probably not in the drawings because its basic servo knowledge.... Not meaning to offend
Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 AM
TakeshiSkunk

Helicopters are really hard to figure out initially, when I first started I didn't ever think I'd be able able to actually control them and now I'm flying inverted circuits, piro flips, rotating tictocs etc. You'll get there, it all depends on how committed you are, how regularly you practice, and how much you push yourself. There's good info over in the Newbie and Flight School forums at helifreak, you should check them out.

I think I run about 20% expo on my trex500 3gx. My high rates are maybe 85 or 90% and low rates are like 70%, flying 3D. When people say to set pitch to 0 at mid stick they don't mean the value in the transmitter, they mean they actual pitch of the blades. CP helis are best flown in idle up mode at all time, meaning the throttle is at a constant speed (usually 90-100%), sometimes with a slight dip around mid stick to avoid overspeeding the blades when they're not under load. In this flight mode it's normal to have your mid stick position be 0 pitch, 12 degrees or so at high stick and -12 degrees at low stick.

Trex500 is a great choice for a first helicopter, it's MUCH better behaved and stable than a 450 size and will make learning the basics a bit easier. Check out Finless Bob's build videos for it over at Helifreak, should answer all of your questions. If it doesn't ask around in the other threads. Just take it one step at a time, don't get too far ahead of yourself and you should be able to get going fairly painlessly.

Oh my username on Helifreak is deca if you see me around :P