Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Low Voltage Cutoff

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 04:28 AM
tragzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Voltage Cutoff

Hello.

i am new to electric RC. I need to find out about low voltage cutoff.

Ok. If i set my ESC LVC to lets say; 3.2v per cell. By the end of my run when each cell reaches 3.2v, What will HAPPEN?

Also Low Voltage Buzzers; What do these things do?

Please explain in the EASIEST way possible. REMEMBER; i am VERY new to electric.

Thankyou guys.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:13 AM
OvalRacer99

Default RE: Low Voltage Cutoff

Depending on the esc, some will just stop working and some will just cut the voltage to the motor.
I run Novak esc's and they slow the car down when you get close to the cut off and will stop completely when you hit it.

Never used low voltage buzzers so can't help you on that one.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:44 AM
pyromatic177

I run Hobbywing ESC's and when they hit the LVC/ low voltage cutoff they just cut power to the motor. Cause the steering servo still works and the ESC stays on. But the motor quits
Old 05-20-2012, 12:35 PM
cumquat

the names are self explanatory. a low voltage cutoff cuts the power (the ones built into the esc cut power to the motor. i have no clue about the external units) and a low voltage buzzer makes noise when the voltage gets low. the point of activation depends on the model or settings.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:59 AM
tragzy

cheers ****s. @Cum: dont realy understand what you mean with the buzzers. anyone else got any info on them.

Thanks again guys for your help
Old 05-21-2012, 05:38 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

Have you ever used an alarm clock?  A low voltage alarm works the same way. 

The internal LVC in a car's esc will cut the power to the motor or slow it down.

A low voltage alarm (LVA) is normally an external device, usually wired directly to one of the batteries on the balance cable.

Once the battery hits the voltage level you selected as the "low" it goes off like an alarm clock.  The motor keeps on running because there is nothing to cut off the voltage from the battery.  When the alarm goes off, stop running your truck.