Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Knoxville SPA contest this weekend (May 19-20) UPDATED WITH PICS

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Knoxville SPA contest this weekend (May 19-20) UPDATED WITH PICS

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:07 AM
eness76-RCU
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knoxville SPA contest this weekend (May 19-20) UPDATED WITH PICS

Hope everybody can make it out for the Knoxville, TN SPA contest this weekend. Dennis Hunt and Phil Spelt always put on a first-class event at a fantastic flying site. See the info below:
[link=http://spelt.coffeecup.com/]Ben Oliver Memorial SPA Contest[/link]
Old 05-14-2012, 12:16 PM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Knoxville SPA contest this weekend (May 19-20) UPDATED WITH PICS

KNOXVILLE HAS ALWAYS BEEN ONE OF MY FAVORITE PLACES TO FLY...Second only to Asheville for a mountain "backdrop". Hard surface runway...land slowly.

Duane
Old 05-15-2012, 05:14 AM
eness76-RCU

Looks like we're going to have great weather and get this....1mph winds forecasted! Can't even believe that!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:29 AM
ShineyObject

Loading up now for Knoxville! Super cool site in a great city.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:31 AM
ShineyObject

Forgot.....Taking my best camera equipment. I hope to go down the hill and take some shots on the Clinch River.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:50 AM
eness76-RCU

Heading out to the field now for some final practice. Look forward to seeing everybody down there tomorrow.
Eric
Old 05-17-2012, 01:20 PM
ShineyObject

and in conclusion...I'm bringing a watermelon with me.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:06 AM
eness76-RCU

Can't even put into words what a great time was had in Knoxville this weekend. Great Fun, great flying and above all else great people. I have never felt more privileged to be around a group of people in my life. Everybody from the top to the bottom is willing to help out, no matter how big or small the problem may be. Families were out in full force, wives sons etc., reminded me of old times being a kid at contests. Great flying, maneuver geometry and setup advice was being bantered about all weekend. I've pasted President Bruce Underwood's weekend synopsis as copied from the SPA e-mail list for all to enjoy. Hope to post up a couple photos and photo links.

K C R C

What a glorious place to be!!!!!

Knoxville , TN …..the weekend of May 19 & 20 at the “South’s Most Scenic Flying Sight†was one for the “memory-scrapbookâ€. From arrival on Friday afternoon til departure a bit after noon on Sunday..it was like the CD, Co-CD and the sponsoring club had ordered it from a menu prepared by the most experienced Chef’s in the universe.

Co-CD Phil and several clubmembers welcomed arrivals on Friday and even assisted in tent erection, location, etc. With this particular time of the year selected for this year’s KCRC contest, the afternoon sun posed no problem and practice continued as long as there was daylight…then the visiting began, storytelling and the like.

Saturday, Dennis and Phil decided to execute from a single flightline which kept on flying right on through lunch on Saturday and started at the pre-announced time on Sunday which allowed for attention to every flight from every attendee. Air was the best an old-timer can recall with probably 5 MPH at the most and mostly cross to SW.

What a “great job†by the last cycle’s pattern committee, the top-heavy Novice entries of the last few years has been overturned as a result with almost even numbers of entries in the above classes thus far this season. Mr. Ken Antos of KY had the Novice class to himself and thoroughly enjoyed eyeballing the “K’s†by his name on the scoreboard for all 5 delightful rounds. So did, we, Mr. Ken’s admirers. Dennis Sams of Kingsport, TN showed he had been burning the fuel with his 1st place finish in the Sportsman class winning 3 out of 5…..Phil Spelt, co-CD kept Sams honest and K’d 2 rounds. Ohio ’s John Nessler, Jr (Dad) flew to a great 3rd place with his Phantom-1, followed by Vic Koenig of Johnson City , TN and his Dirty Birdy.

I repeat, “this season has seen the best Expert Class flights I’ve ever seen for this early in a seasonâ€. I was “privy†to judge 3 of the 5 rounds between these guys, and it was nip-&-tuck to choose downgrades by any of them. Mr. Barry Hunt (Dennis’ Son) borrowed one of Dad’s Panzers and flew with the Expert crowd. What a joy to have him from his home country visiting Dad and Mom and electing to participate. Barry placed 5th, Warren Oliver with that electric “Oliver-Twist†4th, John Nessler III, fresh off a victory in Cullman last month copped the 3rd place award, only barely out-pointed by Ellis Newkirk of Flower Mound, TX who finished 2nd and Brother Eric of Dublin , OH who aced a total score of 3,000. Congrats, you experts, it was a genuine joy watching you jockey those SPA pattern ships and you are worthy of the title “Expertsâ€.

Four of us “old Codgers†flew the Senior Expert class. Mike Robinson, recently turned 60 put the pressure on Bill Dodge of Oak Ridge , TN who finished 3rd, Russ Chiles of Laurinburg, NC, 2nd, and Bruce Underwood of Guntersville , AL who won a nice class of the “seasoned vetsâ€.

Phil, reserved a room in the CALHOUNS restaurant in Knoxville whose pride of notoriety is “the best ribs in the nationâ€. This was Saturday night and the evening was just filled with luscious foods and good fellowship. Mr/Mrs. Warren Oliver shared a luscious ice-cream/banana desert with all at the table. Excellent. We swapped tales til way after normal bedtime.

I don’t recall any mishaps other than Dennis Sams separating the landing gear from his fuselage (an easy repair) when a tailwind forced the model into some tall grass at the end of the runway.

The highlight of the weekend came at the awards on Sunday with beautiful Tennessee shaped permanent plaques sporting the KCRC iconic logo, metal engraved memento and the SPA logo. Special prizes were drawn for along with the awards, winners were:

Gallons of Cool Power fuel: Dennis Sams, Mike Robinson, Barry Hunt, Warren Oliver and Bill Dodge. Phil donated an A-6 Intruder shortkit which also went to lucky Bill Dodge. Dodge actually managed a “smile†when Mrs. Heather Nessler drew his name.

Many photos where “snapped†and are available for memories both on the website and other locations on the Internet. Thanks to the photo-shooters for preserving the good-times shared with KCRC this week-end. Just viewing them will allow the pleasantries of this week-end forever.

KCRC, you guys and gals never fail to make for the finest an SPA precision pattern contest can offer, it was such a GRAND week-end and we’re all so grateful.

-0-

NOTE: Duane and Penny Wilson and Gary Lindner spent the week-end shooting photos and will be sharing with us. Mike Robinson already has delightful photo coverage posted on a “LINK†and can be enjoyed as a “slide-showâ€. Good work ya’ll. Phil, a great post on the text report….ya’ll sho put a heap of work into this week-end, you have nothing but gratitude from all us.

Was sho good reading Lindy’s report on the SPA WEST contest this week-end, congrats to you folks there on your growth and participation.

Bruce Underwood

I shot a couple photos myself, not as good as the pros but will share them later, got to get to work now at the shop, school is ending and they need awards.

Best to all. (I can’t understand, as Dick Austin used to say, why “everbody doesn’t fly Radio Controlled airplanes)….isn’t it the “dinctums). Sunday morning, Mike Robinson was flying, I was calling for him and that pretty DR was turning around against a lovely blue sky, and he just commented, “golly, I love flying RC airplanesâ€!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 AM
ShineyObject

Don't forget the premier showing of "Talladaga Nights". We had it all!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:56 AM
patternflyer70
My Feedback: (3)

This past weekend was just perfect. KCRC did an awesome job with this event. Knoxville is a great place to fly and visit.

I had a great time seeing old friends and the competition was second to none.

I can't wait for the next contest.

If anyone is on the fence, come on out and see what SPA is all about. I'll bet you'll get hooked just like we did!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:04 AM
eness76-RCU

A couple shots

Old 05-22-2012, 09:35 AM
eness76-RCU

More Pictures from a great weekend - Photos Courtesy of Mike Robinson

Old 05-22-2012, 10:20 AM
eness76-RCU

ORIGINAL: ShineyObject

Don't forget the premier showing of ''Talladaga Nights''. We had it all!
Shake and Bake, Baby!!!

Old 05-22-2012, 12:02 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the model in the first picture on post 12? Looks like a Midwest Panther blown up for R/C, cool looking whatever it is.
Chris...
Old 05-22-2012, 12:07 PM
eness76-RCU

That is a Dennis Hunt Panzer D-20.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:04 PM
stuntflyr

Thanks!
Neat looking model.
Chris...
Old 05-23-2012, 06:36 AM
eness76-RCU

Chris, Not sure if you are interested or not, but I believe Dennis produces kits and ARC versions of this airplane. I can attest seeing this design fly many times that it is a real performer. Dennis' building is second to none, having designed and built airplanes used in National and International competition for upwards of 40 years. If you are interested pm me for his email address, as I'm not sure if that violates site rules. Thanks,
Eric
Old 05-23-2012, 06:45 AM
ShineyObject

Dennis sold me one a couple of years back, but then bought it back because he needed something to get together quickly for a contest. LOL true story. It was an ARC.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:05 AM
ChiefK

How about the model closest to the camera on the last photo in post 12? I don't recognize that one.

ChiefK
Old 05-23-2012, 07:15 AM
eness76-RCU

That is Bill Dodge's either Killer or Ultimate Kaos.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:24 AM
ChiefK

Thanks... not familiar with either of those designs. I just completed a build of a Tower Kaos 60 (no longer produced kit), which I think closely resembles a RCM Super Kaos. I also just finished assembling the new GP Dirty Birdy (not yet flown). I expect to have both these birds at Asheville in July.

Greg
Old 05-23-2012, 07:35 AM
eness76-RCU

that's great Greg, look forward to seeing them there.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:14 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: eness76-RCU

That is Bill Dodge's either Killer or Ultimate Kaos.

Looks like the Killer Chaos, I believe the Ultimate and Utter Chaos were designed for tri gear and the Killer for a tail wheel. The former two had a ventral fin that made a tail wheel problematic and removing the ventral fin created some issues, not sure what, so the tail feathers have a different design. The Chaos series is actually a different design than the Kaos though similar. The Kaos series was sold to Great Planes along with his entire company at the time.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:49 AM
eness76-RCU

Some more great pictures. These were shot by Gary Linder.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:06 AM
stuntflyr

ORIGINAL: eness76-RCU

Chris, Not sure if you are interested or not, but I believe Dennis produces kits and ARC versions of this airplane. I can attest seeing this design fly many times that it is a real performer. Dennis' building is second to none, having designed and built airplanes used in National and International competition for upwards of 40 years. If you are interested pm me for his email address, as I'm not sure if that violates site rules. Thanks,
Eric

Thanks Eric,
The model looks great and an ARC would fit right into my Dad's program and his idea of a good looking Pattern ship. Sending PM, Thanks.
Chris...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.