Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

First outdoor heli?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Zlash03
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First outdoor heli?

I was wondering what would be a good first outdoor helicopter. Im moving to outdoors cause ive goten bored of flying inside and conquered almost every obstacle a house can throw at me. (Christmas trees, people, fans, door ways etc. You name it and ive flown through or around it.) I wasnt looking to get into anything hugely expensive or giant, just strong enough to stand up to light winds and things like that. I have a Syma s107g for indoors. For outside I was thinking of a Syma s033g since its pretty cheap online. Around $65 or less for it on ebay which is where I might buy one since I have a $25 gift card for it.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:06 AM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First outdoor heli?

I was going to say as big as you can afford. $65 is not going to get you anything that can handle anything above a light breeze. Even one of the cheap, clone 450's(still not great for a beginner in the wind) would cost you closer to $150 that is if you aleady had a good radio. I learned outside on a ole Blade CP Pro. Find a collective pitch helo 300 size or larger. With a 300, you need to have calm mornings or evening if your new the helos. CP helos will allow to transition to forward flight and mild 3D if that is your thing.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:56 AM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

hk has the solo pro 100 or the clone of the mcpx. or maybe horizon cloned the solo pro 100 either way the mcpx flies just fine outside itts very crash resistant. your budget as said just isnt enough to do anything with as the solo will probably need another 35 to 45 bucks to land it on your doorstep.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:01 AM
ATVAlliance

mcpx or a clone trex 250 sounds like its what kind of heli you are seeking.  Its just neither of those can be had for that price.  Tripple that 65 dollars and you would be in the ballpark.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 AM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Syma s033g is a coaxial. Are you looking to stay with a coaxial or learn collective pitch flying? Any outdoor collective pitch heli is going to cost a lot more than a coaxial. It seems like that s033g would be ok for outdoor flight because of it's size but it will be pretty limited in what it can do and you would probably have it conquered in no time and want a collective pitch.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:11 AM
ATVAlliance

I think a lot of us can thank coaxial helis for getting us into this side of the RC hobby.  However, once we get the bug and realize that a coaxial heli is just a "glorified toy" we are upset at ourselves for wasting the money on one.  I mean once you progress to a FP or CP heli...I doubt many people even look at their coaxial helis any more.

But, how would we know this being new?  Unless we trust someone telling us otherwise?  That is why I aways put my .02's in stating on these forums that if you "think" you are heading to a goal of flying CP helis...skip the coaxial ones alltogether.  Use the money you would spend on a coaxial and buy a decent SIM and learn the basics on the SIM.

Once you can lift off, hover and land a CP heli on a SIM, such as Phoenix, Real Flight or Clear View...you are ready to try the real thing.  This will be money well spent and not wasted on a "toy" helicopter that you will master in a couple of days...leaving you wanting something more challenging and nimble in the air.

Im not bashing anyone that loves coaxial helis.  But those people are probably ones that are happy with flying a coaxial around and have no intentions of every flying anything more advanced.  Personally, I think that coaxial helis dont teach you much of anything...actually if you fly them too much it may cause you to form habits that are bad for flying FP or CP helis.  My opinion though there...take from it what you will.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:48 AM
TakeshiSkunk

I've said it a million times before and I'll say it one more time, if you want to eventually be flying CP just start with a sim and a CP.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Zlash03

I would most likely want to get into the CP helis. I wasnt exacty setting a price range by puting in $65. It will just take a little longer to save for one. What would anyone suggest to start out with if you are just getting into CP?

Old 05-24-2012, 08:19 AM
ATVAlliance

ORIGINAL: Zlash03

I would most likely want to get into the CP helis. I wasnt exacty setting a price range by puting in $65. It will just take a little longer to save for one. What would anyone suggest to start out with if you arejust getting into CP?

Blade mCPX, hands down!
Old 05-24-2012, 01:19 PM
TakeshiSkunk

Yeah the mcpx is an amazing intro to CP, you could even forego the sim and still make good initial progress with it due to the durability (just make sure throttle hold is set to 0 pitch all the way across and hit the switch if it's about to hit something). It is the ONLY CP heli that you can expect to pick up and fly again instantly after a crash. You will break stuff here and there but 90% of your crashes shouldn't involve any damage.

I still recommend a sim, even if you don't get it before/with the heli. It's the best money you can possibly spend on the hobby.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Zlash03

Well I know I said before that I was interested in a CP heli but maybe I changed my mind. I understand all the reasons why a CP is better but I have my own reasons:

1. It is sorta to expensive for me. Im not going to be using these things on a constant basis so I dont really think it would pay off.
2. I came here asking for something for outdoors. Not to stay inside. (So that was partially my fault for getting side-tracked)
3. I wasnt looking for a mini one. I was looking for something 24" or bigger.

So with that out of the way I will explain my new wants. Like I said above, I want one 24" or longer, and it can be a 3ch or 4ch. Doesnt matter to me if its Fixed pitch or Co-Axial either. What would be the best OUTDOOR one to choose based on those requests. I was thinking maybe a Double Horse but im sort of wary of the prices for them. ($40 for a 27" 3 channel when the syma I have is only $30?)
Old 05-24-2012, 04:45 PM
ATVAlliance

Yeah...get the Syma.  You'll love it. 

PS...just for the record and posterity of this post.  The mCPX can and will fly outside VERY well.  I have flown mine in 10MPH winds with total ease.