Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

US 41 mount to a Byron P-51 reduction drive

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

US 41 mount to a Byron P-51 reduction drive

Old 05-21-2012, 09:15 AM
ole
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US 41 mount to a Byron P-51 reduction drive

I just acquired a US 41, and a Byron P-51 with the reduction drive. And I am looking for any information on how one would mount that engine in that reduction drive. From looking at photos, it looks like I have to take off the prop hub from the engine and the main shaft connects into the reduction drive. But I have no Idea if that is right, or how to do it.
Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:58 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Default RE: US 41 mount to a Byron P-51 reduction drive

I been there and done that, US41 to Heavy and not enough power to pull the reduction drive. You need at least the Byron 40, or the Byron Mustang 50.

The Orginal Byrons came with a Quadra 35, it has more power than a US 41. The 35 will barely fly it.

I spend many hours and $ trying to marry the reduction drive to several engines, never had a good result.

Chris923
Old 05-24-2012, 08:47 AM
ole
My Feedback: (4)

I have been reading a lot of stuff about the Quadra 42 and US 41. And from all I can find they are the same engine both made by Quadra in the day. And I also found that the original Byron P-51 came with Quadra 35, and the reason it was replaced by the Quadra 42 was due to the flying weight going from the expected 23 - 24 pounds to a 27 - 28 pound airplane. So the Quadra 42 did better.

Can anyone confirm that the US 41 and the Quadra 42 are or are not the same as far as power?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: chris923

I been there and done that, US41 to Heavy and not enough power to pull the reduction drive. You need at least the Byron 40, or the Byron Mustang 50.

The Orginal Byrons came with a Quadra 35, it has more power than a US 41. The 35 will barely fly it.

I spend many hours and $ trying to marry the reduction drive to several engines, never had a good result.

Chris923
I agree with chris923 regarding the Byron reduction drive. I would never attempt to fly one of these valuable planes with such an outdated power system. I have witnessed several Mustangs fly with the reduction drive and they seemed marginal even with the larger engines. On a good day the Byron prop is just not efficient regardless of the engine powering it. A modern engine with an efficient direct drive prop will provide a much better flying experience. Install the big 4 blade for display and enjoy the best of both worlds.