Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Giant Scale Twins F7F Tigercat

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Giant Scale Twins F7F Tigercat

Old 01-11-2012, 04:20 PM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Giant Scale Twins F7F Tigercat

Picked up a few accessories for the Tigercat!

First, and most importantly, is the custom crafted and painted pilot made by Lyle Vasser at Best Pilots! http://bestpilots.typepad.com/

Lyle is a master craftfman. First, he actually took the initiative and researched Marine F7F-3 pilot flight suits. Based on those data, he helped me acheive an appropriately outfitted pilot by first grafting his "Bob Sweeney" head into a "Pappy Boyington" helmet, which was then married with a Pappy body/uniform. He also painted the helmet white, as a white-ish leather helmet was common among F7F-3 pilots.

The end result is incredible. Aside from his skill painting, his sculpting talents and resultant molds are incredibly detailed. Although my images fail to capture or convey the detail, I (and you, if you buy one) can actually see the fabric texture in his apparel. And the faces? The expressions and details speak for themselves.

Thanks, Lyle!

And in more boring news, I also picked up a couple of spinners from Tru-Turn. Not really a "big whoop," but they add a lot to the overall appearance once mounted.

The F7F-3 is going to look the part on the flightlines this flying season!

Noah

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95711.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	1712849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65620.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	1712850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62246.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	1712851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94653.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	1712852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs95628.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	1712853  
Old 01-11-2012, 05:32 PM
lkahn4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Noah,
What an awesome looking pilot, I dare to ask how many semesters pay it cost you.
Have you found out which lucky student body is going to get your exceptional academic skills.
Will be posting avenger pix tomorrow, its really slow going but at least we are making some progress.

Larry
Old 01-11-2012, 05:43 PM
butlern

Hey, Larry.

I know having Lyle himself paint your pilot is not necessarily an option for everybody, but when you consider that a few really "crappy" full-bodied, hand-painted pilot figures (that I've seen offered) will set you back nearly $100 USD, then I think I got a VERY good deal!!

NB
Old 01-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Fly4Real
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Noah, Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm thrilled to have one of my pilots in your aircraft, I know you will treat him good. The Tigercat is looking awesome! Can't wait to see Bob "guiding" it through the skiesthis summer. All the Best! - Lyle
Old 01-11-2012, 07:27 PM
butlern

Hope to see you soon out on the circuit, Lyle!

Larry, no job yet, but I have been invited to interview at Emory University and Penn State University this February, so I'm still looking around at potential opportunities. What I do know is that I wont be in Iowa much longer!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your Avenger soon!

Noah
Old 01-12-2012, 04:16 AM
redtail

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Noah, the details on the pilots shoes and helment is incredible and certainly worth whatever the cost. May have to check out his website. Like Larry, I too want to know where are you taking those Socratic professorial skills. Smile. Chic
Old 05-23-2012, 05:11 AM
butlern

Update:

Got two more flawless flights on the Tigercat last weekend.

I'm moving to OKlahoma next month, and my recent participation in the "Warbirds Over Oklahoma" event was an excuse to get my models safely transported to my new home territory without having to worry about "movers" mishandling my airplanes.

Unfortunately, the event was sullied by bad weather nearly all weekend long, but towards the end of the last day, several us managed to put on some excellent flights with our "giants."

Here's some video captured by Stan Pritcher, one of several great members of of the Oklahoma Sooner Squadron (OKSS):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1rv9n8l8dM (Tigercat flight starts at about 3:55)

In addition, and much to everyone's surprise, there'll be TWO of these Giant Scale Twin F7f Tigercats flying in Oklahoma now! What are the odds that another OKSS member, Ray Atkinson, also owns and operates one of these bad-boys?!?!? Ray's is built much lighter than mine and is more than adequately powered by two G62's. His flight video is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgXwT...feature=relmfu

Going to be an incredible sight (and awesome sounds) when we get them up in the air together!! (not sure about formation flying yet, hah ha)

Stay tuned!

Noah
Old 05-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Spritch

Noah....

Just to get the record straight... it's Stan Pritchard of the OKSS club. The Video King of Oklahoma R/C...!!! No matter... you are exactly right... having two GS TigerCats in the same region will blow them away at the R/C events in our OK area this season. But... the only hold up for a dual TigerCat show... might be Ray's wife... she just went through some major back surgery... and he may well have to hang close to the home campfire for several weeks this season. That is a major bummer... but Jane is such a good trooper... she might kick him out of the house anyway. Ray will not fly in front of a crowd... which, for all the years I have been with OKSS, has always had me scratchin' my head. He is a hell of a stick... just not in front of a crowd....??? Jim Ellis generally flies his birds in that situation. That video you had linked to in this thread, showing his TigerCat... and the way he flew it... was just Ray, me... and my cam. He is a great R/C pilot... it just kills me that he doesn't know that.

-Stan
www.oksoonersquadron.org/
Old 05-24-2012, 03:03 AM
butlern

Stan,

Sorry that I got your last name wrong! Now I know!

You're right, you are the king of video. More importantly, you are especially gifted with video editing... too often these videos show nothing but pass after pass after pass, and no take-off or landings. Your work focuses on those two most exciting aspects: getting up and getting back down safely, with plenty (3-5) of passes included. Very easy to watch and very well done!

I hope Jane heals quickly and recovers well. And I am very surprised that Ray is shy about flying his incredible models. You're absolutely correct, he is a great stick... hopefully we (or I) can get him into the air once more with his Tigercat later this year.

Give my regards to the guys down there when you see them next, and I'll down there soon enough!

Best,

Noah
Old 05-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: butlern

You're right, you are the king of video. More importantly, you are especially gifted with video editing... too often these videos show nothing but pass after pass after pass, and no take-off or landings. Your work focuses on those two most exciting aspects: getting up and getting back down safely, with plenty (3-5) of passes included. Very easy to watch and very well done!
That is exactly what I was going to say.

Some videos even have the dreaded dot in the sky.[:'(]

Kelly
Old 05-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Fly4Real
My Feedback: (14)

Masterful flying Noah! Of course after seeing you fly several years, it is to be expected, however, a 35+ MPH wind takes confidence and know-how to fly successfully in that! The both of your "cats" look great!

You guys hit upon a pet peeve of mine as well. Videos of flying. A good flight video, in my opinion, shows take-off, a few fly-bys with rolls or whatever, any "oops" moments, and then Landing. Leave 'em wanting more! I think these videos should strive to convey the thrill and excitement of this hobby. Stan obviously gets what its all about. Good job Stan!
Old 05-24-2012, 05:45 PM
butlern

Lyle,

I was wondering if I was going to run into you down there. I thought Olathe would be "in range," but given the poor weather I can see why you might have elected to stay home!

Wind... well if it's right down the runway, it makes little difference to me, or my 50-70 pound models!. Now, if it had been 35+ mph AND 30+ degrees cross, then I would have likely kept the Avenger on the ground. In all honestly, those Sunday evening flights of the Avenger and the Tigercat that Stan captured on video took place in basically ZERO wind, which for me is even SCARIER, given the airspeed required to keep my "hefty" models flying. Anyway, I hope to see you in the near future, Lyle. Especially given that we'll be no more than 4-5 hrs away from one another. Let me know about any interesting Kansas events this summer/fall!

Kelly,

I agree whole-heartedly with you and Lyle about video capture of our models... get the good stuff and then onto the next model/flight!!! Stan Pritchard has clearly figured this out! Once again, Stan, great work!

All the best, my friends.

Noah
Old 05-24-2012, 06:28 PM
lkahn4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Noah,
Glad you found a home, it seems like another Great club and bunch of guys. As for the crosswinds, I took the trainer to the field last Sunday, 20+mph crosswinds, finally managed my first 2 landings in a cross wind. We fly off a parking lot that,s about 100 feet off the beach and the changing winds there are challenging enough when the wind blows.
I figure the Avenger needs at least 10-15mph down the runway to slow down.
As always excellent job on the flight

Larry
Old 05-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Spritch

Noah...

No biggie on the last name... in fact, I'm not sure I even gave it to you last weekend...?? If I didn't... real dang close on guessing what it should be...!!

Was tooting my own horn with the 'Video King' comment... that was supposed to be in the vein of 'humor'... more or less. But after years of trying to get this hobby captured on cam... believe me... it is one hard subject to shoot. I really appreciate the comments on how they like my 'short style' of how I edit the footage. Early on... I was as bad as some of the long winded versions I still see up here today. After hours and hours of viewing and editing them... it was just plain boring. I love the takeoff and I love a great 'greased' landing... with some photo passes thrown in the middle. The good (or bad of this...??) I rarely ever catch a 'oops' moment or a 'auger in' shot... which is one of those bittersweet things depending on how you look at it...?? I personally hate it when a really fine build goes in. Always have.

My pleasure... is being at an event where I get to see (and hopefully capture) really great builds and fine flying. And especially new planes that haven't been seen in our area before. Your TBM Avenger and the GS TigerCat really made the WBOOK 2012 for several of us. And getting an almost perfect 3 or 4 hour flying window at the OKSS field Sunday afternoon... made it all worth the wind blast we had endured for the two previous days.

While Iowa City is going to really miss you... the Okie bunch will be more than happy to try and make you feel at home. But... I think you already know that after this weekend.

-Stan
Old 05-24-2012, 07:27 PM
butlern

Yes, Stan... no question about it!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:36 AM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are not going to believe this! [X(]

The long range weather forecast for May 17-19,2013’s Warbirds Over Oklahoma invasion is mild temps, calm winds, and a slight shade of clouds[8D], so plan to be there.

To keep up on the latest go to: www.warbirdsoverok.org

Stan,I may see you at the Sooner Squad Sunday.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Check6
My Feedback: (427)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Noah,
Fantastic job on the Tigercat and the flying was so smooth. I have built two Tigercats in the past and both were exceptional flyers. First one was an old RC Kits 72 in. span with two .60's for power and the second one was a scratch built 84 in. span with two OS 91. surpasses. Excellent flying planes. I'll try to round up some pics. I'm kind of bummed that I didn't sell them to you since you have a few of my birds. LOL Anyway nice job.
Thanks,
Fred Menna Check6

Sorry about the quality, these are photos of photos. The guy with the cowboy hat is my buddy Jim who was going to kit the P 38 he designed. I test flew it for him that day , Fantastic flyer. My Tigercat was done up in the firefighter scheme first then repainted in the Marine scheme. Plane was painted with automotive acrylic enamel and all markings were painted on with my home made stencils.

Name:	Zx71513.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1765778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26293.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1765779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71814.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1765780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq43054.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1765781  
Old 05-25-2012, 05:42 PM
butlern

Hi, Fred!

Despite the "grainy" reproduced photos, it's clear those were two fine Tigercats you built! A master builder then and now, you are!

Are you still building planes these days, or have you transitioned completely to boats?!?

Thanks for the compliments on my tigercat. It is a VERY smooth flyer... it's very stable and completely predictable... so it would make anyone look good at the sticks!

Best,

Noah
Old 05-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Spritch

ORIGINAL: WARBIRDRCER

The long range weather forecast for May 17-19,2013’s Warbirds Over Oklahoma invasion is mild temps, calm winds, and a slight shade of clouds[8D], so plan to be there.

And you got this from who.... Nostrodamus....???

Really... you 'may' see me at the Jumbo at OKSS... on Sunday... after all the seasons the OKSS has shown up for WBOOK...!!!!

Just kidding... I figured since you now had cubicle in FAA DC... you would be hard pressed to be home at any given time during the season anyway.

In a nutshell... Thanks for inviting Noah down for WBOOK 2012. Just hooking him up with Ray was worth the all the wind blast we had on Friday and Saturday. He's just a really good 'fit' for several clubs down in Okieland. He's one of the 'good ones'....

Oh... did I say that out loud....???

-Stan
================================================== ===================================

Old 05-26-2012, 03:04 AM
butlern

Steve, I'll believe it when I see it... but I suppose the odds are in our favor for good weather for the 2013 event, given the bad string of weather you told me about over the past few years. I look forward to next years event! And thanks again for storing my models for the next few weeks.

Stan, I appreciate the warm welcome and enthusiastic reception. I can't wait to hang out on "the hill," chat with Ray some more about his tigercat and meet the rest of the OKSS members, AND finally see, in person, all the models your videos have captured.

Speak soon,

Noah
Old 05-26-2012, 05:46 AM
Check6
My Feedback: (427)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: butlern

Hi, Fred!

Despite the ''grainy'' reproduced photos, it's clear those were two fine Tigercats you built! A master builder then and now, you are!

Are you still building planes these days, or have you transitioned completely to boats?!?

Thanks for the compliments on my tigercat. It is a VERY smooth flyer... it's very stable and completely predictable... so it would make anyone look good at the sticks!

Best,

Noah
Hi Noah,
I have been out of flying for about 3 yrs. My eyes were giving me trouble and I didn't trust flying big heavy Warbirds when I was having trouble seeing them. My eye doctor fixed me up with some new glasses with great lenses so I'm planning on getting back into it. Just bought a new radio. I will be flying a giant scale Cub just to get the rust off my fingers. If all works well with the eyesite and reflexs back to Warbirds next year. I'm still building planes, actually contracted to build a Yellow Spitfire for a friend of mine. It works out well since He is compensating me for the build with a TF Giant Corsair with engine and retracts, so I'll have my Warbird for next year. I was by building boats as a distraction and selling them to pay for my other hobby of classic muscle cars.
Later,
Fred

Name:	Zx71387.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	1766012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18712.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	1766013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65766.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1766014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr47168.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1766015  
Old 05-26-2012, 06:42 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spritch

ORIGINAL: WARBIRDRCER

And you got this from who.... Nostrodamus....???

Really... you 'may' see me at the Jumbo at OKSS... on Sunday... after all the seasons the OKSS has shown up for WBOOK...!!!!

Just kidding... I figured since you now had cubicle in FAA DC... you would be hard pressed to be home at any given time during the season anyway.

In a nutshell... Thanks for inviting Noah down for WBOOK 2012. Just hooking him up with Ray was worth the all the wind blast we had on Friday and Saturday. He's just a really good 'fit' for several clubs down in Okieland. He's one of the 'good ones'....

Oh... did I say that out loud....???

-Stan
================================================== ===================================

Stan,

I was referring to this Sunday the 27th, however the winds are predicted to be in the 30’s again[]. Instead OKSS Ray A. and I will be in his shop tomorrow test cutting foam for a future build project. Maybe I can get Noah in on this one too. Between him, Boyd, Ray, and a few others involved we could have quite a squadron a couple of years from now. What plane is being planned? Well it will require an Area 51 clearance to receive the briefing, or just ask when you see me since you are one of us.

As for the June 2nd OKSS Jumbo, I am cleared for the option. I was suppose to be in Atlanta attending training, but that has been canceled, so I will be there sporting my P-40 and/or my F4U and L-4.

Noah, glad I could assist you. I am looking forward to burning some fuel with you soon.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Spritch

Lyle...

My 'Geezer' brain sometimes get the dates wrong... so it was either last year or two years ago at the TRAMPS Muskogee's Oklahoma Jumbo (or Warbirds over Green Country) at Hatbox Field... that I captured you bringing in a one fine built B-25 on ONE engine with about a 20 degree West crosswind @ 15 mph...!!!

That was some dang fine flying my friend....!!!! You are a rudder man plus. I watched that footage for the next 2 weeks...!!! Great job...!!!

-Stan
www.oksoonersquadron.org/
=====================
Old 05-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Spritch

Oh Yea....

I will be sticking my head in on this one....!!! If Ray is in the building mix... I have to at least get still shots of this....!!! I've left about a pickup load of old foamy beer coolers outside of his garage over the years... and still... not one A6M5 Zero....??? If Ray is in the mix... I will be there...!!!

I'll find out then.... which, what... bird....???? Noah... get in on this...!!!

-Stan
Old 05-26-2012, 08:03 PM
butlern

I'm intrigued! I have no idea what any of you guys are talking about... which makes this indecipherable chatter about new projects all that much more intriguing!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.