Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Why the near obsession with over powering airplanes?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Why the near obsession with over powering airplanes?

Old 05-24-2012, 08:28 PM
AB Bob
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why the near obsession with over powering airplanes?

I see it in posts all the time. "I have a .60 plane, would a 20CC engine fit it?"
A .60 size plane is made by the manufacturer to take a .60 size engine.
Why are a lot of people putting in twice the size recommended ? I just don't get it.
Do they think the manufacturers know nothing about the structural integrity of their own products?
I say, if you have a 20CC engine, put it in a 1.20 sized plane! Maybe the wings won't get ripped off.
Are you one of the people that over power their planes? Why?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Why the near obsession with over powering airplanes?

Just the American way: more, bigger, faster.

But then, full size airframes are no different.  You never see a Mk II version of a fighter with a lower speed or weaker engine.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:56 PM
aussiesteve

I have some overpowered planes - and some "underpowered" ones and even some with the recommended power.

Why? - because this is a hobby and because I can

I totally agree with you on people tryng to squeeze way too much Gas engines into small glow planes. Al they are really achieving is a plane that will fly on the prop and not a lot else. However to put say a 50cc into a 30cc plane, there is not a huge amount of difference in weight so it is really more to do with the power.

One of th eplanes I like to mess with is an older 86" Extra that was originally marketed as a 50cc plane. I have a 40cc in it and it needs to be flown like the real ones - on the wing. But I sure don't like 3d'ing it much.

It's only a hobby - whatever turns one persons crank may not do much for the next person, as long as they fly safely and have decent field manners, who really cares?

But then again, I am also selective on which oil I use and which brand props - everybody knows some brands of those are much better than others

Old 05-24-2012, 09:00 PM
jamesc43
My Feedback: (2)

We live in Colorado at 6200 flt altitude.

The air is thinner and the flight performance of any airplane is reduced here. You also lose between 25 to 30% power
from the engine compared to sea level. You need a larger engine to compensate for the lose in power.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:59 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Planes with less power are harder to fly.
I love to experiment, Ihad one plane I ran like 6 different engines on just to get a feel for them. Ifound that an engine that made enough power and was super reliable made the flight most pleasurable. An over powered unreliable engine was not fun.
My plane flew great on a bushing .40 but when I installed a 52 BB of "dubious" manufacture , well lets just say it wasnt as relaxing.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:53 PM
AB Bob

I know it is a hobby. One that I enjoy very much. Most all of my planes are high wing planes (Cubs, Cessnas, Citabras, Senior Telemasters, etc.).
I guess that is why I enjoy "flying on the wing." My niche as it were.
I like long takeoff runs versus yanking them up in say 20 feet!
I like to experiment with prop diameters and pitches, you can see quite a difference just doing those small things.
I also know that if you have enough thrust, you can get a pizza box to fly (seen it)!
The point about being way above sea level is valid, so I agree some additional power is needed. I live about 250' above sea level, so that isn't an issue for me.
It's all good fun, I'm just curious because I have never had the urge to do it. Maybe I should...?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:57 PM
AB Bob

Deleted double post.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:32 PM
oldtyme

ORIGINAL: AB Bob

I see it in posts all the time. ''I have a .60 plane, would a 20CC engine fit it?''
Why are a lot of people putting in twice the size recommended ? I just don't get it.
Do they think the manufacturers know nothing about the structural integrity of their own products?
I say, if you have a 20CC engine, put it in a 1.20 sized plane! Maybe the wings won't get ripped off.
Bob,

A lot of planes that recommend a 60-90 size engine will handle a 20cc gasser just fine. Most of the 60 sized warbirds will do very nice with a 20cc and that is not what I would call over-powering. I have the same opinion that you do that a lot of people want to put a .90 in a .40 sized plane. If you look really hard at engine recommendations, the mfg will call for a 60-90 two-stroke or a 90-120 4-stroke. A 90 is 15cc so if you can put a 120 in a plane then a 20cc is not any bigger.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:46 AM
jlguru

I'm 62 years old and have an eternal "Need For Speed". In my high school and college days that need was satisfied with snow skiing ... then came motorcycles ... then came fast cars. As I matured, had kids, and a family I found there are few places to test my personal limits safely and affordably. Then I got into RC planes. Eureka! I can stand with two feet on the ground, control a miniature scud missile equipped with a high performance engine, and push my personal performance levels to the breaking point if I wish without endangering anyone and without risking my life. I only risk a few hundred dollars in equipment.

So ... I overpower many of my planes.

I suspect many of the people you are wondering about are on the same quest as I. They are more interested in pushing their personal performance limits than modeling and flying model aircraft in a scale manner. It's an honorable pursuit, just different than your goals.

Live long, and prosper
Jerry L. Gubka
Old 05-25-2012, 04:05 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it goes with intelligence of the human species... that intelligence paves the way for creativity and non conformance.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Just the American way: more, bigger, faster.

But then, full size airframes are no different. You never see a Mk II version of a fighter with a lower speed or weaker engine.
More power! Yeah, that is what I mean!

Really though it all depends on what one determines is more power. For me you really gotta go crazy on the HPs up front before I consider it more power. For instance, putting a 120 on a 46 size airframe is totally overkill in my department, but a 55AX on a 46 size airframe is perfecto!

Now let me see if maybe I can fit this DL50 on this 40 size Twist [X(]
Old 05-25-2012, 09:12 AM
ZX11

I am sure some modelers have experienced underpowered planes when the designer gets it wrong. Budgets mean we get one chance to buy the right power plant. Most err on the side of caution.

All my planes have the recommended power with no problems. But then I like lite airplanes flown low and slow.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We're also seeing a LOT of 3-D/High Aplha models that have practically swapped the prop for the wing. The wing is just there tohold more & larger control surfaces. ;-) And you need an engine that will rapidly accelerate you up out of a toqrue roll.

As I "mature" I am finding torque is better than raw speed even with low alpha maneuvers and relaxed flying. I like gasoline engines (in gasoline engined size airframes) that allow me to do Aresti style maneuvers at half throttle.

Igot my start in R/C flying gliders. Every landing a dead stick. You'll know if you're over reliant on the engine when it stops.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:45 AM
GerKonig

I replaced a Z26 in a Gian Stick with a 1.6 electric motor ($47 at HobbyParts). It allows me to take off in 6 yards, and then go vertical as long as I feel like it, rolling all the way up.

Two weeks ago while landing, a tree moved out of his way, and I flew into it! Nasty tree, I have to repair the wing now. Only damage was a wing panel.

I am almost done switching the motor, controller and 10 cell battery into a 1/4 scale Sig Clipped wing cub. Being able to go straight up anytime you fell like it is fun! Maybe the cub will not "fly scale" all the time, but I will have full scale fun with it.

Gerry

Old 05-25-2012, 11:31 AM
weazel1

i have a 40 size piper payne which i fly with a banner first banner i used a 82 fs on it with the new even bigger banner the 40 size ship now has a 160 fs the the extra power hahahaha
Old 05-25-2012, 11:44 AM
CRockVet

ORIGINAL: jamesc43

We live in Colorado at 6200 flt altitude.

The air is thinner and the flight performance of any airplane is reduced here. You also lose between 25 to 30% power
from the engine compared to sea level. You need a larger engine to compensate for the lose in power.
+1

Old 05-25-2012, 12:27 PM
dignlivn

Bob,

I over power with 4 strokes, because I can .

Would you buy a Corvette with a 6 cylinder engine??

Bob
Old 05-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

I see it in posts all the time. "I have a .60 plane, would a 20CC engine fit it?"
Years of pattern competition made me an obsessive power addict. After all, there is NEVER enough in any vertical line to really enjoy yourself....and the throttle ALWAYS can be pulled back.
But what REALLY clinched it for me was going to e-power, where it is insanely easy to have so much power that you CAN shred the wings off the things. (See my first sentence)

In short, I are one of "those people", and I do it simply because *ICAN* (and it's no more costly nor heavy)
Old 05-25-2012, 12:53 PM
suddengustofgravity

I see some fliers that couldn't fly if their planes weren't overpowered. They takeoff and immediately stick the nose of the plane straight up rather than flying it like it was an airplane (and I'm not talking about 3D'ers). A plane with the recommended motor would stall and crash. They fly motors with attached planes rather than planes with attached motors.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:03 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: suddengustofgravity

I see some fliers that couldn't fly if their planes weren't overpowered. They takeoff and immediately stick the nose of the plane straight up rather than flying it like it was an airplane (and I'm not talking about 3D'ers). A plane with the recommended motor would stall and crash. They fly motors with attached planes rather than planes with attached motors.
And I am sure they are having a blast. My Telemaster can fly backwards if there is a breeze, but it can also go vertical out of sight. The secret is in the left stick (up and down) called a throttle. It allow to fly scale or not (if you have the power). If you do not have the power, well, you HAVE to fly scale.

Another fun thing of the big electrics is that the power is instant, and explosive.

And If you tell; me that J-3 Cubs cannot do a short take off and go vertical, all I can say: Mine will be able to do it.... and it is almost finished...

Gerry
Old 05-25-2012, 01:05 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

I see it in posts all the time. ''I have a .60 plane, would a 20CC engine fit it?''
Years of pattern competition made me an obsessive power addict. After all, there is NEVER enough in any vertical line to really enjoy yourself....and the throttle ALWAYS can be pulled back.
But what REALLY clinched it for me was going to e-power, where it is insanely easy to have so much power that you CAN shred the wings off the things. (See my first sentence)

In short, I are one of ''those people'', and I do it simply because * I CAN * (and it's no more costly nor heavy)

Well said about the wings, you can also see the firewall depart the fuselage if things are not up to par....

Gerry
Old 05-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

ORIGINAL: suddengustofgravity

+1

*usually identifiable by inability to taxi. They must place the motor/propwith itsmounting device on the runway before blasting off.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:13 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

It depends on the plane. If I want to fly scale, I use the recommended engine size, mostly a 4 stroke glow.
Makes some nice and relaxed flying.
But then there are the fun and fast planes. The ones that make your heart beat faster.
When I lived in Germany I loved to take my BMW to the Autobahn and see how fast it could go...
I guess some of us just have the need for speed.
Nothing wrong with a nicely flown scale plane, they are fun to watch.
Good thing about our hobby is that is has so many options on what and how to fly
Old 05-25-2012, 01:19 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

If the recommended range is .28 to .45 size two-stroke then I'd go with the .45 because I like to have the reserve power.

I do get a kick out of the guys that would put a .60 or .90 in the same plane.

Trouble is, this plane is a heavy design with a thick airfoil on the wing so all these over-power guys are doing is shorting their flight time.

You can put a .90 in a .40 size plane but your not going to get a .90 size fuel tank in a .40 size fuselage.

Guys do the same thing in reloading. They take a .38 revolver and constantly load and shoot .38 ++P loads.

Why not just get a .357 mag?

You know if your out for speed, a Quarter 40 with a Nelson .40 will beat a Sig 4-Star .40 with a .91FX on it.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:46 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

It's just something different for me. After doing this for almost 30 years, i am always looking for something new and different. So i do have Pizzaz with a ST .90. It does not fly great with the extra weight. But the term "jump out of a hover" is quite literal.

david

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.