Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Old 05-23-2012, 04:21 AM
Edmund2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

Spiros, what happened to the BOL guys out there? Know the L4 thread is dead as I have not seena new post there for a long time, then again mine last flew about 14 months ago. I think I will start a BOL up tonight indoorsas I do get frustrated not flying. Was very nice to fly it on the weekend and I almost forgot how gentle it flies compared to theother stuffI have. Nice thing about it is that should I crash I will not have pieces all over the lounge. Remember that I lost only 1 blade since I bought it years ago and a fuselage when my son's BOL clipped mine's nose when flying formation.

My wife would kill me if I had all the heli's and parts you have.

Edmund
Old 05-23-2012, 05:38 AM
graphman22

Got big lama myself, surprised me how stable it is, only tried friends vortex v2 before, thats crap
Old 05-23-2012, 05:58 AM
Edmund2

Good to see your post on the thread. I have a standard BOL and a totally modified one as well as those you can see on my signature. Spiros who also posted on this page has about 30Big Lamas and likely enough spares to build 30 more. I fly mine now very seldom but when I do get the opportunity I do so, just for the fun.

Edmund

PS: Hallo Brian
Old 05-24-2012, 02:46 PM
lethalsassonic

Hey guys, new to the forum. I've had my BOL for about 2 weeks now and Inoticed the tail portion of the fuselodgeis just way too flimsy, it seems to be affected by the slightest wind & the blades themselves cause it to dance during flight, I mean even when hovering stable there's too much shake in the fuselodge making the BOL look like a cheap model. It just seemed cheap that I could pinch the tail and there's nothing inside. So I've done something that nobody has seemed to mention. I've stuffed the back portion (tail) of the canopy with foam, super light weight foam, which has made the back half of the fuselodge more robust without adding any significant weight. I'm not allowed to post a pic for some reason, maybe because I'm a new member. This is the type of foam that comes in a carrying case, the gray stuff that you can pull out of a case to shape it for a camera or whatever electronics, it's small rectangular pieces that you pull out of the case. Now there's more than just "air" in the canopy and I feel it's helped the chopper feel more sturdy, and I can even pick it up from the tail because it's now stuffed. I put in one piece at a time and shoved the pieces starting w/the very back of the tail w/a long skinnny screwdriver, and that was it. So far I've flow in my garage and everything seems fine. I'm an intermediate flier, and not a modifying expert, so I want to know if this was a good idea. Is there any reason I "shouldn't" be doing this? Is there a potential drawback w/gyro or anything? btw I've shifted my battery forward w/a mod already and like I said the foam weighs next to nothing so weight is still favoring the front of the chopper. Thoughts?
Old 05-26-2012, 12:01 PM
lethalsassonic

I guess this thread is dead...
Old 05-26-2012, 05:02 PM
bjethier

Sounds like a hell of a good idea. I think I may try this.  Your BL should not shake or vibrate the way you're talking. Not sure how to help you
Old 05-26-2012, 05:03 PM
bjethier

Oh, and you should be able to put pics up and movies too. You can even post on Youtube and post the link
Old 05-27-2012, 10:40 AM
lethalsassonic

With the foam loaded in the back half of the canopy I had to adjust the Gain a little bit, but I get a perfect hover once I found the right spot. The controls are reacting perfectly. There is one odd thing though. Even though I'm able to hover perfectly still, the tail bounces up and down, the chopper remains in place but the very back of the tail giggles up and down, and I'm not sure if this can be eliminated. Does the Gain or Prop settings affect the tail's "Vertical shake?" From what I understand those settings are for horizontal movement ie left to right. The performance is good, but I'm still annoyed by the up and down giggle, but I guess without a metal tail boom this is going to happen... I will try to post a video
Old 05-27-2012, 10:43 AM
lethalsassonic

This is the foam I used.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	om31890.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	365.9 KB
ID:	1766244  
Old 05-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Buz

Well, hello there Edmund! How's it going? I think I saw Spiros posting too. I still have 3 or 4 BOL's ... but all with bent extended shafts. I should replace them, but I've been flying single blade fixed pitch for a while now and I really do like it better. I have the ArtTech SSH200 helicopter and I can honestly say..... if you can fly a BOL.... you can easily fly this single blade one. The 45 degree flybar gives incredible stabilization. It leans like crazy if you use a lot of aileron in your turns. I can make a big banked turn without even using the rudder. I throw it on it's side, and then hold a little back stick on it to keep the nose up... and it turns great. Impossible to do this with a BOL. You really should try one. The one that someone commented on is not fixed blade AND CP. It's strictly a fixed blade and it also flies as easily as the BOL. I'm trying to figure out how I can use that 45 degree flybar setup on one of my 450 CP heli's.
That would make them fly totally stabilized. I don't see the need for CP... I don't want to fly upside down or any of that crap.

So, I wonder how to change the head and flybar on the Trex 450 to a diagonal flybar to stabilize it? Any ideas?. I really want to try this. I've had my head in other projects lately... I'm flying two Gaui quad copters. They are NOT as easy to fly. I have the 300sx gaui quad, and I was chosen to beta test Gaui's new INS system. Wow! It's great! It has GPS, and I can send it off out of sight.... then flip the "return home" switch.... and it turns around and comes back exactly to where you plugged in the battery and hovers. I has normal mode, stablilized hover and GPS mode. When it's hovering in GPS mode... I holds the same altitude and it's like it's glued in place. I like to put it in a GPS hover, then push it around... I push it as hard as I can, and it comes right back. It will also do flips and rolls. I h ave all of the FPV <first person view> stuff, but I've only flown it that way once. It's like being IN the quad... I wear video goggles and I can see everything the camera on the quad sees in real time. I think I have a couple of videos of it. Maybe I'll post them so you can see it fly. If I hammer the throttle on takeoff, it goes straight up out of sight FAST! It's also a riot to fly them by line of sight too. You guys take care. Sure is good to see some of the old crowd in here. I haven't seen Brian for a while... but he's become quite the pilot with his Trex500.
You guys try one of these single rotor helicopters.... I guarantee you will never regret it. I had to dial in a little more FF on it, but otherwise I fly it like a crazy man.... just like I did with the BOL's.

I'll try to find a video of the single blade flying... it's here somewhere. Then you'll see how well it flies.

Cheers!

Buzz
Old 05-28-2012, 02:16 AM
lethalsassonic

Sorry for being a post *****, but I'm late to the "Big Lama party". Wanted to share pics of my bird, I've done some common and also some unique mods. Extended shaft, improved battery placement, and Xtreme blades. My main problems w/this chopper have been fuselodge-related so I've added foam to the tail for a more robust feel, and I've attached clips to attach/detach the fuselage much quicker.

Name:	mk25154.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	1766606   Click image for larger version

Name:	nj25516.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	1766607   Click image for larger version

Name:	fl18642.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	1766608   Click image for larger version

Name:	pj17547.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	1766609  
Old 05-28-2012, 09:56 AM
Buz

ORIGINAL: lethalsassonic

Sorry for being a post *****, but I'm late to the ''Big Lama party''. Wanted to share pics of my bird, I've done some common and also some unique mods. Extended shaft, improved battery placement, and Xtreme blades. My main problems w/this chopper have been fuselodge-related so I've added foam to the tail for a more robust feel, and I've attached clips to attach/detach the fuselodge much quicker.
Looks good! I really like your fuselage attachment clips. Nice looking bird!

Buzz
Old 05-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Edmund2

Hi Buzz, was checking my e-mails and when I saw your last one there I wondered how you are doing. I unfortunately do not get a lot of stick time but when I do make time I fly the mCPX as it do not need al;ot of space to fly it as would be the case with the CPs or TREX 550E. Had a ball with my BOL a week or so ago using it as a duster in the stairwell.

Lethalsassonic, welcome, this thread is not really dead but as most of the earlier contributors moved onto other products some of us do get back in here when we are alerted that there has been a post. The Bol fuse is actually very strong even if it may feel flimsy at the back. Spiros wouuld tape his up wiht clear packaging tape to make it even stronger and it holds together much better in the event of a crash into a wall as he only has an ally to fly in.

As for the tail gong up and down I hav enever come accross it but may have something to do with the gyro. My son's  used to vibrate terribly until we changed the blades and checked tracking which sorted the problem out. His is now like mine abolustely still in the air and can hover handsfree indoors for many minutes over the same spot, mine came perfectly tuned from E-Sky. I lso have the modifed verison and the power there is fantatic when doing  a straight vertical lift at full throttle.

Enjoy your BOL.

Edmund
Old 05-29-2012, 02:46 PM
RMB677

Check your motor and gears. I recently had to change out a motor on my E500, same frame as the Big Lama. The heli started flying eratic, everything looked ok when powered down till I started wiggling things and thought the motor was loose but it was the motor shaft moving. The motor bearing was shot, replaced the motor and all is well.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Jimi2f

lethalsassonic,
 It also could be a slightly bent main shaft usually the inner, Had the same shake up and down real fast more like a vibration. Changed out the shaft and it stopped.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:04 AM
lethalsassonic

Thanks, I'll check it out, I highly doubt the motor is bad or inner shaft is bent. I have a total of about 5 flights w/no major crashes, and I just installed the xtreme inner shaft, so unless it came bent it's not bent. The verticle shakemay just be a result of me stuffing the tail w/foam, but again it'ssimply a "cosmetic" shake, I'm still able to hover perfectly still, the tail just vibrates up and down, but the last time I poweredup in the garage the shake went away, so I don't know what to make of it, maybe I'll just ignore it becauseonce the chopper is ten feet away and in flightyou can't tell anyway...
Old 05-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Buz

ORIGINAL: lethalsassonic

Thanks, I'll check it out, I highly doubt the motor is bad or inner shaft is bent. I have a total of about 5 flights w/no major crashes, and I just installed the xtreme inner shaft, so unless it came bent it's not bent. The verticle shake may just be a result of me stuffing the tail w/foam, but again it's simply a ''cosmetic'' shake, I'm still able to hover perfectly still, the tail just vibrates up and down, but the last time I powered up in the garage the shake went away, so I don't know what to make of it, maybe I'll just ignore it because once the chopper is ten feet away and in flight you can't tell anyway...
I've experienced the entire BOL vibrating like crazy... but only at a certain head speed. Sometimes you can have a vibration at low head speeds....but, in my case I could fly through the vibrations by turning more rpm. I never figured out what caused that vibration either. My battery pack shorted out and caught the entire nose of the BOL on fire. I crashed trying to land... and it burned up completely. Although I lost a good helicopter.... if I had been videoing it... it would have made an incredible show. I gave what was left away. It really stunk badly. I think you should just fly it. It's probably an unbalanced blade or something similar... Probably won't hurt anything.

Buzz

Way off topic.... but you've got to see this. My son is in blue, his best friend is in yellow. I can't believe I didn't go with them!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSQq4_9Thic

Old 05-31-2012, 09:47 AM
Jimi2f

Buz is right I've had the same experience at certain RPM's but he reminded me that I weight my blades and balance them out so each pair weighs the same and I raerly get those vibrations any more. It never affected my flights just looked worse than it was.
Jimi
Old 06-22-2014, 04:57 PM
texasbragg

Not sure if anybody will read this but here goes. Going boardless and brushless on my BOL I have a E-Flite Head Locking Gyro and a DD Co Axial Mixer 2 30 amp Dynsm ESCs and using ESky Brushless Motors. My problem is I have not power on the pot side of the Mixer. I can switch plugs on the mixer and the each motors will run on the other side of the pot. Any ideas.

Thanks
Al
Old 06-22-2014, 09:44 PM
Edmund2

As you can see it has been more than 2 years since the last post. Search the thread in the option on top and I am sure you will find some reference to your question posted in the period it was very active..

Edmund
Old 06-23-2014, 05:50 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

I don't beleive I've ever heard of anyone going boardless on a BOL.
Love to hear bout it, and I'm sure some of the old guys will be back around to comment. I got out of helis a long time ago but love to read and have input about them.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:54 AM
texasbragg

Wheelnut

You can read all about going Brushless and Boardless here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3263086

Figured out my problem, it was the cut BEC wire for the mixer, moved it to the rear of the pod side of the mixer.

Al
Old 06-23-2014, 01:21 PM
Wheelnut

Awesome, glad you got it fixed!
Old 06-23-2014, 02:40 PM
texasbragg

After three weeks here it is. Now to get it trimmed out.

Name:	IMAG0134.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	2008166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0135.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2008167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0136.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2008168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0137.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2008169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0138.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2008170  
Old 06-23-2014, 04:14 PM
Wheelnut

Very nice. I hope she flies great and that we get a video of it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.