Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Don Muddiman Flying Machine

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Don Muddiman Flying Machine

Old 04-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Don Muddiman Flying Machine

That's great news Fred! Thank you for the update.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:24 PM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome. Thanks for the update. FLYINGMACHINE......that YS will be a sweet combo. I had one in a direct connection F-20 Tigershark and it was a monster. Make sure you post pics.........  ;-)

Dave
Old 04-08-2012, 03:09 AM
flyingmachine
My Feedback: (9)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no prob with the pics.............I have (3) fm's now, neon pink .45 rossi with unmuffled tuned pipe, grn/wht check with new .45 rossi SPEED (blue head) unmuffled tunded pipe, and a black/neon yellow with .40 rossi shorty muffler. All run GOOD, the pink one was built so straight NO TRIM off the bench perfect flights fast, built light Don would love this plane!

-FLYINGMACHINE
Old 04-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Muddiman

Good News!

I received the fifth proto-type fuselage yesterday and I finally have something I can assemble and fly. In the next few weeks I will be photo documenting the assembly process and preparing for the test flights. Am I excited? Not really it's just another Flying Machine. It's the unknowns that will have me on edge during the test flights. In all my 30 plus years of flying the Flying Machine I have only had one other builder build a Flying Machine for me that I trusted for demo purposes. This will not be a hand full of flight tests and then have the ARF released. It will include multi-weekends of flights and inspection. There are some very minor issues to be addressed and until it passes all the flights and the issues are corrected I will not approved the ARF build. I want this as much as the rest of you do but it will not be rushed into production just to make a buck. I want a quality kit that performs to level of my performance most of you have seen in my demonstrations. I'll keep you posted on the results. There won't be much headway in the next couple of weeks as I just don't have the time to start this project.

Don
Old 04-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Dave McDonald

Thanks for the update Don!

Hopefully the prototype will withstand and pass "The Muddiman Test" without any problems.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:29 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Looking forward to getting one, or two...
Keep us posted.

Jimbo
Old 04-29-2012, 02:22 PM
flyingmachine

Anything yet?
Old 05-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Dave McDonald

It's been over 5 weeks since Don received the prototype. Any news to report? Has it survived Don's torture test? Is it still in one piece? Or are we back to square one?
Old 05-19-2012, 11:13 AM
BirdofpraY
My Feedback: (31)

Guys even if they give the ok to build the first batch its going to take 3 months to build them and another 3 months to get them throug customs. So prepare to wait...
Old 05-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Muddiman

It's in the works, I had been on vacation and had some other stuff pending I had to complete before I started the build. It's taking a lot more time to document the build than I had anticipated. Once I get all the build images I then have to annotate the images, write the assembly instructions. Test flight should be buy the end of the month.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Mike2735
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for the update.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Dave McDonald

Thanks Don!
Old 05-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Muddiman

I test flew the Flying Machine ARF this past Sunday. There were very few people at the field as the winds were 15 to 25 miles an hour and gusting higher. The FM ARF flew very well for the conditions and preformed as expected. I still need to do some flight test on a calm day just to complete the testing phase. There were some minor issues I discovered during the build that can be easily corrected. The next phase is to submit all corrections and approve a hardware selection to be packaged in the kit. The next set the factory will send five completed units in a resale package for review and assembly. We are getting closer so just hang in there guys.
<o></o>

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56037.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	1767082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30615.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	1767083  
Old 05-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Dave McDonald

Thanks Don!

I want a Flying Machine ARF ASAP!

But I'm also willing to wait as long as it takes to get it done right.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Mike2735
My Feedback: (3)

I second that. I will wait as long as it takes to get one that is right!!!

Thanks Don.

Mike Moore
Old 05-30-2012, 09:05 AM
mrsand

glad to here the plane is coming together...looking forward to buying one
Old 05-30-2012, 09:33 AM
BirdofpraY
My Feedback: (31)

would be nice to offer a ARC version so that some of use may convert it to Electric. With todays motors and batteries this air frame would be a great choice for some of the big power systems out. when they come available this is what I am going to mod one for.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:20 AM
flyingmachine

This is exciting! I would love to see my field floaded with these birds buzzing around. Best damn plane period.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:58 PM
screamrp

Hey all you Flying Machine Fans !! - I can stay silent no longer, and feel right now is the exact right time to speak out on my best friends behalf ( Don Muddiman ). // I've had so many guys ask me questions about making Dons Plane Electric for several years, knowing that I have reached some wild Speeds with my Scream Machine Reaper. ( Again let me say, Don taught me everything years ago, how to fly, design and build, etc.)without his help I could've never gone on to create the Reaper. // NOW for the NEWS you want to hear, and I hope Don doesn't mind me plugging his plane big time, HE DESERVES IT.!!! // YOU WILL NOT have to wait for anELECTRIC verision, his new ARF is built just likehe scratch builds his ownplanes, so it WILL work GREAT asan Electric trust me. !! We have been flying scratch built FMs for several years at SKY PIRATES RC CLUB in Belleview, Fl.,built right off of Don's Plans. These planes have now reached speeds and flight times not only equal to the O.S.55 powered fuel version, but faster, with instant straight up ability same as fuel. The weight is the same also when using 5-cell & 6-cell Lipos. Be very careful when picking out your Lipos, always buy best power to weight ratios.Such as a WinForce Lipo 6-cell that only weighs 388 grams. Lighter than most 5 cells. Motors such as Neo Dym25, or Eflight outrunnersin the 750KV to 500KV range work great using 10x7 fuelAPC props. The speeds are amazing, plane flies thesame, weight is still 4 lbs. 5 ozs.and hauls butt, just no NOISE !! ( Don hates that ). !! So I told him he could always make motor noises with his mouth. LOLS Seriously !! No need to wait for an Electric version, his ARF IS both with very little mods. // Please checkout photos of some of ourguys Electric Flying Machines at Sky Pirates RC Club Web-Site , go to PHOTOS.These are up to date photos taken as recent as lastweek. // So if you're hesitating about ordering Don's ARF because you're afraid it won't work as Electric, take a good look boys, we have the Fastestset up FMs riggedElectric in the state of Florida I kid you not.!!
Don is fuel all the way and I can't blame him. I went to electric 100% back in 2007 and love it too, it does take some time getting use to hearing your wing rather than the tuned pipe. //End result is, the FLYING MACHINE , has been, and always will be the BEST designed High Speed Sport Aerobatic Plane period. If you think it's not fast set up as Electric, try to catch it. !! - No Matter which one you want, Fuel or Electric, you had better get your name on the list now. Because after people read this, SEE the Photos and what can be done with the FM with minimum effort, there is no doubt in my mind this ARF will dominate EVERY RC FIELD in the U.S period. !! - So for all you guys who think I compete against Don and his plane with my Scream Machine Planes, you have it all wrong. Don is my mentor, he is who I have always tried to model my style of flying after. My Scream Machine is just another CREDIT to Don Muddimans influence on all RC Pilots, he makes you want to be better, more precise, and remain humble and helpful to others at all times. This is the sign of a real MASTER Pilot. signed The King of Scream - Roger Purcell LOLs !!- BUT DON IS THE MASTER !!!!

Old 07-08-2012, 05:00 PM
ovationdave

Any updates?
Old 07-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Muddiman

I sent the supplier the hardware list and now waiting on a small batch of kits to arrive for final approval prior to going into production. There will possibly be several color schemes. One in my demostration colors, one with no markings and a almost ready to cover (ARC) version. Feed back welcome.
Don
Old 07-09-2012, 03:59 PM
mercura

I think ARC would be great. Dark colours in skies over here, not good.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:42 PM
ovationdave

I second the ARC version, always like to be unique and not have my birds look like 10 others at the field. I wish more ARF's offered this option. Thanks for asking!

Dave
Old 07-09-2012, 05:35 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ME TOO!!!

ARC version will be welcome with open arms!!!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Dave McDonald

Thanks for the update Don!

So what color(s) would the no markings plane be?
Would the top and bottom colors be the same?

I'd prefer the ARC so the plane would end up looking like my old dearly departed Flying Machine (RIP).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.