Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Does this precut prepainted body fit ?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Does this precut prepainted body fit ?

Old 05-30-2012, 02:24 AM
Automan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this precut prepainted body fit ?

Does anyone know if for example kyosho KYOIGB101 precut prepainted body will fit the ofna gtp2 e or dm-one spec e, if the bodymounts are the same... if there are some sort of standard to all onroad 1/8 touring cars when it comes to bodymonts.

Thankful for all help i can get about this.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:38 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Does this precut prepainted body fit ?

It's a question of wheelbase and track width, especially if its precut. Look at the wheelbase and track width of the vehicle it's intended for, then look at the same on the vehicle you want to fit it to. If they are the same or very close, you should be fine. If the wheelarches are precut, you want the wheelbase to be literally identical in order not to look weird.

Which body is it (model)?
Old 05-30-2012, 03:19 AM
Automan

Thanks for the fast reply Foxy.

I know the wheelbase and width is good, but what i was thinking as it's a precut is if the bodymonunts are in the same position, if for example the ofna gtp2 e have the same position in bodymonts as the car that this body was precut for.. think it is the kyosho inferno gt/gt2.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:33 AM
Foxy

It is extremely unlikely that the body mounts are going to match up between a GT2 and an OFNA DM-one or whatever other brand. I don't know for sure, as I don't currently own either model. Count on them NOT matching up though. There is definitely no standard when it comes to body mount positions across 1/8th GT type models. Since they are invariably based on the 1/8th buggies of their respective manufacturers, you can expect the same differences.

That isn't what would concern me though, I would expect to have to put a sticker or something over the existing holes and make my own new ones. The thing that a lot of people fall over on (at least with 1/10th models), is the fact that the front shock tower heights can vary quite dramatically, and depending on the specific body it may not be possible to set the body mounts low enough. The classic example of this is when people try to fit very low bodies, such as lamborghinis etc, then find they cannot mount them low enough due to the steeply sloping front end wanting to go right through the front shock tower.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:14 AM
Automan

That was NOT what i wanted to hear (kiddin)

No Foxy, i didnt really think it would fit... just hoped there was a standard in the 1/8 onroad racer section.. but i guess it's the same as any other rc out there, all heve their own way to do things

I think the only way to make this neat is to order a set of body mounts for the inferno gt and make them work on the ofna gtp2e or dm-1 spec e (whatever i choose), should work with some mods.. not new to mods on rc's... better then trying to make new holes in a painted body, it's enough that they made a stupid hole in the side.

Thanks for your help Foxy
Old 05-30-2012, 05:11 AM
Foxy

I still don't think you'll be able to reproduce the exact positioning using the Kyosho mounts on the OFNA car. They will still be off, I'm 90% sure of it. For example, I could put the Mugen body mounts on an Xray and vice versa, but it still won't change the relative position of the shock towers/body mounts in relation to the wheelbase unfortunately.

As for lining up body holes, crush up some chalk (chalk for blackboards, any color which works) into dust, and put it liberally on top of the body posts. Lower the body very carefully on to the body posts in the correct position, then drill through the chalk marks on the underside.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Automan

Thants the reason for doing a mod to this (if body mounts wont fit in width, it sure wont be aligned front to back.. but it is pretty close what i can see on pictures), it should not be to hard.. but i have to see it first in real life and then decide if it's worth modding or just making another hole in the body, hopefully i wont have to do any more holes. I have ordered those body mounts anyways, so i hope i can use them and solve it that way.

If i decide to make some holes.. it's not easy to put it down perfect the first time, i would first place it in perfect position and then try to use a lightsource from below and mark it from above, if not there is always the way to measure... but that takes longer time and you have to do many measurement to rule out any faults, it does takes time and patience but will be totally perfect in the end if done right.