Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

rc plane for bf

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

rc plane for bf

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:20 AM
andiekury

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rc plane for bf

Hello,

Need some help!
I want to buy a rc plane for my boyfriend as agiftbut im kind of lost with this subject.. he has an extra 260 hangar 9, and a cessna cardinal-thunder tiger. He wants a new one but he isnt sure which one he wants and i want to suprise him. which one would you recommend me?? Any help will be greatlyappreciated

Thank you so much!

Old 05-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: rc plane for bf

Wow, that's a tough one! Since tastes are so subjective, It's hard to know what he would like. Does he fly glow (fuel) powered or electric?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:25 AM
andiekury

Thanks for the reply,
he flies fuel, although he once mentioned he might like to try electric.. he also told me something about a decathlon seagull, but apparently someone told him it wasnt very good..  any suggestions will be great..
Old 05-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, again it's really hard to say... but Sig makes an ARF called a "Somethin' Extra" that is one of my personal favorites (a very fun plane), and it can be outfitted for either glow fuel or electric.

You might be better off getting him a gift certificate, just sayin'...
Old 05-30-2012, 10:02 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Do you have a sister?
Old 05-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I had the Phoenix Decathlon, which is basically the same as the Seagull. They are BEAUTIFUL airplanes, built well, not the lightest but they are strong.

I just re-read your post - if your BF said "something" about a Decathlon, get him one!! He will love it more than you can imagine. To those that like Decathlons, they are very special airplanes.

There are different sizes - "40 size" all the way up to big ones. Any thoughts on price range or size? Towerhobbies.com has the Phoenix, Horizonhobby.com has the Seagull planes.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:36 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

A Decathalon is what airshow pilots used to use before Extra 260's were available. If he likes scale planes and the challenge of flying some of the older designs, he'll like it.

As for an electric that's a ton of fun, consider a Parkzone F27Q Stryker. It is a pusher plane that looks like a jet. It's fast and easy to fly and can take a real beating. It'll also fly well on the inexpensive 3 cell 2200 batteries.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:34 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rv7garage

You might be better off getting him a gift certificate, just sayin'...

+1

While not as exciting as unwrapping a new airplane, it will allow him to pick out exactly what he wants. Good luck with your choice.

Ken
Old 05-31-2012, 01:42 PM
andiekury

Thanks so much!! Ill take a look at the models you have suggested...yesterday he mentiones a funtana so I will take a look at that one too! Thanks again
Old 05-31-2012, 02:18 PM
paradoxx

A Funtana is also a very good plane, its very versatile, but im not sure how easy to fly is.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take him out to lunch and then a trip to your local hobby shop where he buys a lot of stuff and let him choose his own plane, even let him go on line or the gift card.
Even the guys I fly with and know me well couldn't pick out a plane for me, you really haven't a chance unless you ask him directly. I could name a lot of planes I could tell my wife about and how I wouldn't mind having one but it may not be the same plane I mentioned the day before. Or one I would go out and buy? Just too many choices!
Old 05-31-2012, 09:10 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Was there a budget??

What controller model does he use? (the thing he holds in his hand with two little sticks on it)

You could with a somewhat cheap bind and fly electric or buy him an ARF and a engine. $250-$600.

I would vote for 120 size Decathlon with a DLE-20 or Saito 180.

I think he would drop to one knee on the spot!
Old 05-31-2012, 09:16 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Graybeard is very right that we RC dudes are very picky and our wants do change regularly. On the Funtana topic, Eflight has an electric one now if you're still thinking of going that route. But taking him shopping and letting him pick the one he really likes is the surefire way to get it right.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:07 AM
paradoxx

I bet not even him could make his mind up in that moment of choosing. I think the best choice is to tell him in the morning, with some girly touch , to get ready because you both are going shopping, you can also cover his eyes on the way....so this way, you give him a surprise and let him choose.