Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Horizon Hobbies Customer Service-Poor

Old 06-01-2012, 07:42 AM
MostlyKaos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horizon Hobbies Customer Service-Poor

This X9503 came with a receiver, switch, extension, plugs, Charger, Transmitter Battery, but without a receiver battery. Misleading instructions with the product, laying right on top, "Charge the receiver and Transmitter Battery. Horizon Hobbies Customer Service rep said "we don't usually send a battery with that set-up". I said, then why didn't you tell me, or indicate that on your website? His remark was " we assume you already have a set-up, so you can use its battery".
What if all my (set-ups?) were Futaba, how would I check to see if my receiver worked before I fly with it. No he did not not send a battery. The advertisement did not say that a charger and a switch were included, but it was in the box. If you buy a car, the dealer doesn't assume you have " Other Cars" so you can use the battery out of your other cars.
This is poor customer service, very poor.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:07 AM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Horizon Hobbies Customer Service-Poor

I'd call again and hope to get a different customer rep.......
If you ordered a complete system...rx and tx a battery should come with the receiver.
Try writing a letter if the second call doesn't provide satisfaction.
They have always been pretty fair with me........Sebo
Old 06-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Snowflake6515

My experiences with HH Customer Service have been positive. I am only a customer, no affiliation with HH.

I agree with the previous reply about trying a different customer service rep. Also, I would ask politely about escalating to a supervisor, etc. Be sure that the ad specifically states what is included/excluded as it could have been misread.

I am not apologizing for HH, but your experience is vastly different from mine and I have had to contact them over the years about radios, batteries, ARFs, etc.

Michael
Old 06-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Beavis
My Feedback: (19)

My experience with HH has always been good. Regardless, the receiver battery that used to come (they are not necessarily including them now) with all Spektrum and JR DSM radios is virtually useless - 4-cell, Nickel-based. These receivers need 6V to be reliable, preferrably from A123 batteries, which cannot be sold by HH. If you are serious about your planes, get A123's for all your receivers.

Good luck,
Old 06-01-2012, 10:06 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

What if all my (set-ups?) were Futaba, how would I check to see if my receiver worked before I fly with it.
A battery is a battery, if you were just replacing the reciever then the battery would work just fine.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:16 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Years ago when you purchased a new system you would get servos and a receiver battery but not any more its just the new trend. I would suggest
just going out and purchasing a battery you will proberly come out better that way.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:32 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MostlyKaos

This X9503 came with a receiver, switch, extension, plugs, Charger, Transmitter Battery, but without a receiver battery. Misleading instructions with the product, laying right on top, ''Charge the receiver and Transmitter Battery. Horizon Hobbies Customer Service rep said ''we don't usually send a battery with that set-up''. I said, then why didn't you tell me, or indicate that on your website? His remark was '' we assume you already have a set-up, so you can use its battery''.
What if all my (set-ups?) were Futaba, how would I check to see if my receiver worked before I fly with it. No he did not not send a battery. The advertisement did not say that a charger and a switch were included, but it was in the box. If you buy a car, the dealer doesn't assume you have '' Other Cars'' so you can use the battery out of your other cars.
This is poor customer service, very poor.
Most people only want the Tx and Rx these days. They then purchase the Servos, Switch Harness, and Rx batteries, and charger of their choice.

I, for example, prefer a higher quality 3 wire, HD Switch Harness with the Charge Jack molded in. It supports Binding through the Charge Jack and is less prone to failure. I like 2cell LiFe/A123 Rx batteries (6.6v). They are Faster to Charge and the Charge lasts for months. I use an FMA 4S or 10S for charging since they Balance the cells and give you a readout of each cell voltage. I like Digital servos with a higher Torque than the Standard servos usually supplied with the radio.

It is also cheaper to buy just the Tx and Rx. You can use the savings to buy more Rx's.

I advise all the new pilots I train, all summer long, to go this route, as well.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:45 PM
chuckk2

[:-] I can see why a receiver battery might not be included, unless it's specifically in the list of contents.
For that matter, a recent change in US postal regs concerning LiPo batteries may cause some shipping problems.

Most if not all of the newer Spectrum rx's will operate well below 4vdc. (likely HV receivers excepted) Servos may be a different story.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:30 AM
rene69

I bought my first JR Unlimited 7 in 1981 from Circus Circus Hobbies. I've been dealing with JR and HH for 30 years. Not once I had experience a bad rep or a bad experience.
Even that I been using JR for 30+ years, I'm not related/sponsored by them.
Regards and good luck with your radio.

Rene Grebe
Cedar Park, Tx
Old 06-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

I use nothing but JR radios and servos because of their superb service. I've always been dealt with professionally, and thenresuktsnwere always better then I expected. Give them another chance and I'm sure you'll be rewarded with the kind of service we've come count on.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:38 AM
grizzly59

When you order a complete system you get all what you got and then a receiver battery and servos. If you bought a system without servos then you would not get a receiver battery. Isn't that how all transmitters are sold?

I can't tell you how many good things Horizon Hobby has done for me in the past 13 years.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:42 PM
chuckk2

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

A battery is a battery, if you were just replacing the receiver then the battery would work just fine.
True, But that battery may not be the same as this battery.
I have had "brownout" problems in the past that were related to low battery voltage.
As a result, I've gone to a regulated 5.5-6vdc going to the receiver and servos.
To me, many of the 4.8 V batteries have connecting wire that is a smaller diameter
than I'd like. This can make a difference to the voltage eventually available to servos and the receiver.
0.3v isn't a big deal when the receiver/servo supply voltage is above 5.3v, but can be when you have just 4.8 to begin with.
I also found out that a BEC rated at 5V 2A may not be enough with six or more mini servos.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: chuckk2
True, But that battery may not be the same as this battery.
I have had ''brownout'' problems in the past that were related to low battery voltage.
As a result, I've gone to a regulated 5.5-6vdc going to the receiver and servos.
To me, many of the 4.8 V batteries have connecting wire that is a smaller diameter
than I'd like. This can make a difference to the voltage eventually available to servos and the receiver.
0.3v isn't a big deal when the receiver/servo supply voltage is above 5.3v, but can be when you have just 4.8 to begin with.
I also found out that a BEC rated at 5V 2A may not be enough with six or more mini servos.
Prime reason to NOT include a battery in a "custom" radio package. The original subject of this thread.

Rafael