Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Need help please

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Need help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:24 PM
almaidah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please

Ok I have the exceed sword 650ep and it want go fast anymore I thought it was the motor but I bought one and nothing bought a new esc nothing please help what could it be I have many batteries that are all good I use in other boats with now problem
Old 05-29-2012, 08:46 PM
silvermansteve
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Need help please

check all your soldered connections.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:48 PM
almaidah

Ok sure will
Old 05-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

This could be due to several other things as well:
1) corrosion or looseness in the electrical connectors
2) ESC is failing
3) needs drive shaft/stuffing tube maintenance/lubrication
4) wires are showing increased resistance due to age
5) using the wrong kind of solder

I know other boaters may have different ideas of their own as well, but these are where I'd start looking.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:07 PM
almaidah

Ok thanks I will look at ever thing mentioned ill post my finding thanks
Old 05-29-2012, 09:10 PM
almaidah

What's kind of solder is right to use I didn't think it mattered when its not to high of voltage
Old 05-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

That is a common misconception. There are three kinds of common solder:
1) silver solder-used in high strength applications, polarizes over time making it resistant to current flow
2) plumbers solder-need I say more, normally has a higher melting temp that can result in damaged electrical components and isn't as good of conductor as electrical solder
3) electrical solder-usually a 60/40 tin/lead mix with a resin or flux core, formulated for lower melting points and better conductivity. Electrical solder also cleans the surfaces being soldered due to the resin/flux core for better adhesion and lower resistance
Something else that can come into play here is whether the surfaces being soldered were "tinned" or not or if the joint is "cold". Tinning is nothing more than applying a thin coat of solder to what is being soldered together or, in the case of stranded wires, filling in between the strands to make the wire more like a solid wire. A cold joint will increase the resistance due to less surface contact from improper application. When done, solder should be shiny and smooth, not rough and grey
Old 05-29-2012, 09:55 PM
almaidah

Ok I need to check mine but I know its electrical its lead base I know that
Old 05-30-2012, 10:35 PM
almaidah

ok well went over everything and it has to be the motor I bought a replacement and still the same thing and tried a few escs that I know works so my new motor must be bad to everything is lubed I never soldered anything so thats not it either next step is put the motor in another boat and see
Old 05-30-2012, 10:36 PM
almaidah

Is there a way to test a brushless motor
Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 PM
electric45

Things to think about.
1. What is the KV of your motor? (kv x volts = rpm) Example: 2000kv x 14.4volts = 28,800rpm (good rpm) You are looking for an rpm roughly 25k - 35k range.Lower KV on amotoror get a lower voltage battery and you have less rpm's.
2. What is the voltage battery you are running? 2s? 3s?
3. How do you know your batteries are charged? Voltmeter? Have seen people think they are charged up when they are not.
4. Specifically what esc are you using? Did you set the endpoints when you installed it?
5. What prop do you have on there? Take a hard look at the prop, any damage or nicks?
6.Did you wire the motor backwards and then set forward to reverse on the throttle. You can switch any two wires from the esc to the motor and it will change the direction of the rotation. Ihave seen people get this backwards and then attempt to corrected it by switching the throttle on the radio to reverse. So ...crazy as it seems you pull the trigger to go forward and you do, but you are really in reverse as far as the esc is concernedand get a fraction of the power.

Hope thishelps you out..

Old 06-02-2012, 04:44 AM
electric45

One more thing. Check the driveline for slippage. You could have some slippage on the collet(connects the motor to the driveshaft).Hold the collet in your fingers and then gently turn the prop andsee if the driveline slips anywhere. You also may have some slippage at the drive dog(prop pushes up against that) typically there is a set screw that holds it in place.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:48 PM
almaidah

nope thats not the problem either i just checked that and that want it either i dont know whats going on with this thing maybe i just need to get new electronics (new everything)