Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Brushless Losi XXL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 06:33 AM
d4ns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless Losi XXL?

Am tempted to get a Losi XXT and convert to brushless. The reason being that although the XXT is a strong well designed truck i feel it lacks a little speed. So would converting it to brushless be a good option? Im basically trying to create an awesome all rounder.

I currently have a HPI RS4, but obviously no use on anything but perfect tarmac.

It seems very hard to find this truck over in the UK, so would i be better off buying it piece by piece so that i can replace parts for alloy as i go. Yes it will weigh a little more, but with a 6s Lipo im sure it will be negligable.

Any hints, tips or advice would be awesome, even feel free to suggest a different starting truck if there is a better starting point.

Dan
Old 04-30-2012, 06:17 PM
cumquat

Default RE: Brushless Losi XXL?

the losi xxt has been discontinued for several years now. i believe you meant the xxl. they are not the same in the slightest, the xxt was a 1/10 scale 2wd st and the xxl is a 4wd 1/8th scale monster truck. i personally would leave it nitro but to each their own.

if you did in fact mean the xxt, they are sort of phasing out the whole xx/xxx seres. this is what it is being replaced with http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodId=LOSB0123

EDIT: apparently i'm blind. i just reread the title of this thread...

i'd suggest just getting a savage flux. cheaper, easier and i know you can get them pretty easily. to convert the xxl, you'd need a motor mount and i dont know what would work, meaning some fab work may be necessary.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:16 AM
d4ns

Yeah the XXL not sure how/why i typed XXT.

Im not too fussed about the amount of work/ cost involved, just whether it will be worth it in the end. From what i have read the flux doesnt compare to the XXL in strength of components and build quality.

I may be corrected though?

Dan
Old 05-01-2012, 05:36 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

You can get a complete conversion kit from Losi, has everything you need. (minus electronics, of course)

http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOSB0017

The Dude Racing also makes a great quality motor mount and one way conversion that is worth considering:
http://www.tdracingrc.com/

As far as durability goes, I think the XXLis easily as durable, if not more, than the Flux. Handling wise, probably tip the hat to the XXL, too. You can always go the "muggy" route if you want to improve it even more.

The XXL is darn sure a heck of a lot easier to work on.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:24 PM
d4ns

Just what i wanted to hear. Awesome thank you. Well it is very very hard to find a complete XXL in the UK even at £500+, but my luck was in on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3007036074...#ht_500wt_1415

Its a start. I know i will need to buy alot, but i can at least fit some half decent servos etc.

The website link i have come across before but the products page does not work http://www.tdracingrc.com/

Will see if i can find elsewhere. Cant wait to crack on with this project.

Thanks again.

Dan
Old 05-02-2012, 04:55 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, I forgot that his webpage isn't designed well.

Try accessing it from this link:
http://www.tdracingrc.com/TD%20Product%20Line.htm
Old 05-02-2012, 06:59 AM
KRO

I have a brushless LST2 and its a freakin monster to say the least , lots of power on 4s no need to run 6s IMO unless you are running a low Kv motor .

I used the Losi conversion and it went together with no problems or modding needed . BUT the 2 speed isnt needed IMO and your gearing is fixed as there is no adjustment too the mount .

If I had to do it again I would buy The Dudes conversion parts (motor mount and single speed hub) and just use the batter tray from the Losi conversion kit .........

BTW , the truck in that Ebay ad is NOT an XXL , that looks like an LST1 or an Aftershock , you can tell becase the axles are silver (XXL is black and are 8mm like a 1/8 buggy much stronger than the Aftershocks axles) it has rear toe links (XXL does not) and the chassis is not extended (XXL is like 300mm longer than the LST/LST2?Aftershock) .
Old 05-02-2012, 11:31 AM
d4ns

Ah perfect, thanks for the link. Tried finding the product page via search engine with no luck.

Well spotted. Thats very annoying about the advert. To think that if i hadnt posted i may have never known! Will see what its like when it arrives, just in case he has used a generic/wrong photo and decide what to do. What sort of cost (very roughly) would i be looking at to convert it to the stronger XXL parts as i see you can just extend the chassis and buy the other XXL parts. Presume its still not too bad a deal as the common parts are still there that i would have to buy if building from scratch.

What would you do? Still good value for a starting point based on not being able to find a XXL in the UK?

Dan
Old 05-02-2012, 05:08 PM
KRO

Losi used to sell a conversion too make an LST1/Aftershock into an LST2 but you would still need the longer chassis plates and the center driveshafts .... Basicly you would need a chassis , center driveshafts , front and rear a arms , rear hubs , front steering knuckles and c hubs , front and rear driveshafts , hexes , and wheels . Quite a lot , but you dont NEED that but it will make it much stronger .
Old 05-03-2012, 10:06 AM
d4ns

Ah not too bad then, some of that i would probably use hop up alloy/carbon parts for. Will see what its like when it arrives.

Info much appreciated. Thanks again.

Dan
Old 05-28-2012, 11:56 AM
d4ns

Right, its 90% finished now. Seems strange though.

I have a 63t losi titanium spur gear that was already fitted to a single speed conversion and a HSS 24T pinion. Its seems extremely chattery. The meshing seems ok from the paper test ands what it should look like.

Is it normal to be extrmely noisy?

Tempted to get a delrin spur to find out, but wondered how long it would last with my 6s lipo and 2200KV CC motor.

Any hints, tips or confirmations would be awesome.

Dan
Old 05-28-2012, 12:06 PM
cumquat

cant say from experience but in general, metal to metal is going to be noisy.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:09 PM
d4ns

I just thought that with it being in constant contact it wouldnt be so bad.

Second question though , when accelerating very slowly i get a sudden surge of power at low speeds, is this going to be down to the power graph on the esc setup? Once through the 'surge' its spot on. Exactly the same in reverse.

Dan
Old 05-28-2012, 01:32 PM
cumquat

i'm guessing that you mean when you pull the trigger slowly, the car doesn't move then all the sudden it takes off. that's completely normal and as far as i know has nothing to do with the esc, that's just how the motor works. if it's already moving, does it seem to jitter or twitch? if that's what's happening then you're experiencing the phenomenon known as cogging. that means the motor is geared too high.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:52 PM
d4ns

Thanks for the quick reply. Its while the car is already in motion. I can get it pulling away steadily but then will suddenly revs up for a second as if id suddenly pulled the trigger. Does it every time at the same point. Hard to describe. Sorry.

The gears i am using 63 and 24 are what a few guy seem to run.

Dan
Old 05-28-2012, 01:59 PM
cumquat

ah, i believe that would be the initial power limiter. i'm not sure what your esc's programmable options are but in many you can set it anywhere from 10-100% on 10% intervals.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:03 PM
d4ns

Brilliant. Thank you very much. Will have to plug it in and have a play. Its a mamba monster.

This is pretty much what it is doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI1iRnemXo8

From what i have just researched cogging is more of a locking up.

Dan
Old 05-28-2012, 02:17 PM
cumquat

yep, that'd be the initial torque limiter.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:46 PM
d4ns

Thank you. Will let you know when its sorted and get some pics up.

Dan
Old 05-31-2012, 10:14 AM
d4ns

Confused now. Still doing it. Have changed the throttle curve all the way down, punch control to 20%, start power to low.

Dan
Old 05-31-2012, 12:42 PM
cumquat

that setup would keep it in the low power range. set the starting power to high. i'm not familiar with castle programming so i cant say about the other 2.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:09 PM
d4ns

Changed to high. No difference.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:15 PM
cumquat

best i can suggest is to just keep messing with the setting until you figure it out. might try the opposite setting from what you had.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:29 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

ORIGINAL: cumquat

i'm guessing that you mean when you pull the trigger slowly, the car doesn't move then all the sudden it takes off. that's completely normal and as far as i know has nothing to do with the esc, that's just how the motor works. if it's already moving, does it seem to jitter or twitch? if that's what's happening then you're experiencing the phenomenon known as cogging. that means the motor is geared too high.
it is normal, and it is called cogging. also, the motor is perfect with a 24t pinion.
its doing this because its a sensor-less motor.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:52 PM
kahnen

Firmware up to date?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.