Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Composite-ARF Lightning Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Composite-ARF Lightning Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:18 PM
topiwala

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Composite-ARF Lightning Build Thread

Hello gents,
I'm about three months away from a maiden on my ultra lightning. Can't wait. Attached are some pics of my electronic setup.The canopy smoking event didn't go too well, but I can live with it. As I understand it, the c of g location on the Ultra is on the wing tube with wings off, nose gear down and a full header tank. Can someone confirm this?I would also like to know if people have had any success with the Airpower EVSD-5U-PRO or the EVO multivalve units - in terms of long term reliability. A really neat unit for the lightning. The only problem is that I'm on my third unit soon due to failing pressure sensors in the unit, and I haven't even got off the ground yet. The failed pressure sensors pretty much make the unit useless. Dreamworks has been very supportive in this so I'm confident that my issue will be resolved.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39260.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	1695515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36799.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1695516  
Old 12-04-2011, 10:51 PM
tassos p

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: topiwala

As I understand it, the c of g location on the Ultra is on the wing tube with wings off, nose gear down and a full header tank. Can someone confirm this?
This is what the CG used to be, now after so many years they actually measured it with the wings on. Here it is http://www.carf-models.com/public_ca...rtant_note.pdf

By the way nice setup, both my UL have the same setup but for hydraulics I use Jet-tronics which I consider very reliable. But can I ask where is the second Rx hidden?

Tassos
Old 12-09-2011, 08:16 PM
topiwala

Thanks. The second rx is still in the post. I'm waiting for it to turn up. No harm done with one rx on the ground.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:06 AM
RCKen2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will this plain fly wiv big elastic band like the one I build in picture
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76394.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1697935  
Old 03-06-2012, 02:14 PM
topiwala

For the Ultra lightning, what is the neutral elevator setting - with no flaps. Is it 2mm up at the root traling edge, just like the standard lightning? Or is it 0 neutral. There doesn't seem to be too much info around this. 
Also, what elevator setting are you guys using for takeoff flap and then landing flap. I have takeoff flap at 15mm, and 85mm at landing. 

I haven't maiden'd yet, so asking the above questions.

Thanks

Old 03-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Geoff White

Look here - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10019152

I posted some detailed info on my setup.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:00 PM
topiwala

Thanks Geoff. That is a great help. Quite surprised at the large elevator compensation values. My cg is on the tube as is yours. 
Anyway, maiden flight coming this sunday - weather permitting. 
Old 03-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Geoff White

I know, the elevator correction on full flap seems a bit excessive but that is what it needs.

The setup has been copied by a few fellow modellers and they are all happy with it. From memory, there was a french guy who was struggling to land his UL consistently so he asked for help and copied the settings and hasn't looked back since.

Once you get it setup to your taste you will love flying your UL.

Geoff.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:35 PM
ricardinho

Just picked up my ultra lightning from my builder buddy....p180rx..what a nice engine...just fired it up for the first time...just like all jetcats boom perfect...taxied plane around and got center line steering right away...nice plane and awesome engine...man it really feels like its got some azz ..guys on your idle with 180..what's a good idle..I have it at 33000...is that good for this plane or a few more rpms?
Old 03-31-2012, 09:54 PM
topiwala

The UL has maiden'd...finally after the weather gods had a little mercy. It flew as clean and as straight as my patternship. And man it has some crazy speed range, from slow crawls to very high speed passes. With the EvoJet 180vx, it has more than enough to haul ass. Much of the flight spent around 50% throttle. I was very surprised at the amount of elevator mix with flap. I had conservatively setup the mixing, but realised that it needed a lot more. With my original settings, I was holding down elevator during approaches. If and when slowed down enough, it lands like a patternship...nearly as slow. The only problem i had was slowing it down enough. I think all my approach down winds were way too high. Just need the confidence to start lower and fly it in.  
I had to do a couple of go-arounds after overshooting, and the evojet picked up to full throttle in great time. 
Coming from patternships, I need to think 'lag'...as there is a good amount of it compared to patternships.  
UL and Evojet combination - lovin it so far. 
Can't wait for the next session infact!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:22 AM
ricardinho

WELL I DID THE MAIDEN WITH MY ULTRA LIGHTNING YESTURDAY...PERFECT!!!!!! THE JETCAT 180RX PERFORMED FLAWLESSLY.. VERY FAST AND VERY SLOW... LANDINGS ARE VERY PRECISE..LANDS VERY SLOW...THE FLAPS ARE SO EFFECTIVE AND MAKES THE LANDING EASY.. I DID HAVE TO ADD A GOOD AMOUNT OF DOWN ELEVATOR MIX TO FLAP AND PUT IN A DELAY SO IT LEVELED OUT VERY SMOOTHLY...MUCH MORE PRECISE FLYING MACHINE THEN MY ULTRA FLASH..I LOVE THIS PLANE ..
Old 04-02-2012, 03:33 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Congratulations
Can you maybe say something about the difference between the UF and UL, especially landings (I know, you have not that many flights on the UL yet )
I have a UF with a P160SX and wingtank (having about 50 flights on it so far, and LOVE it!), and a UL with a P200SX in it, yet to maiden

Old 04-02-2012, 06:10 AM
ricardinho

hello there.. the ultra lightning has a great sink rate when using the throttle in the pattern.. the flash really floats which isnt a bad thing.. the ultra lightning is really like flying a big flash..you will love the ultra lightning...they are both fantastic flyers
Old 04-18-2012, 03:49 AM
ricardinho

hello put another 5 flights on my ultra lightning this past weekend.. just keeps getting better...did you fly yours yet?...it was about a 15mph quartering headwind...the plane doesnt care..it beats the air....i love the way this plane acts in the pattern with the throttle...if you havent maidened your yet you are in for a treat...pat
Old 06-03-2012, 02:11 PM
topiwala

Well folks, I have now completed 8 flights on the UL with the Evojet 180vx. This engine is just awesome for power. I am on 40-50% on almost all phases of fight. Only straight vertical is where 100% comes into play. Otherwise, with simple power management most manouvers are with around 50-60% throttle at most. 

The only thing I am yet to figure out is the occurance of bounce on landings. I always approach with a steady sink rate, with no attitude changes, down to a flair. On the final I'm on idle. 
But out of the 8 flights so far, I have had two messy bouncy landings. I can't figure out why. Is my speed too low/fast, sink rate too high. 
The thing is, it all looks nice and steady until touch down, and then the dreaded bounce sets in, and then its just hoping for the best outcome. 
Though when it does happen right, it greases in. I'm using stock CARF UL gear setup. I broke a spring on my last bouncy landing. 
I glad that the airframe is this strong. We fly of a tarmac runway on an airforce base. So there is no forgiveness from the ground!!

And help would be fantastic. 

Are the prolink struts any better at reducing bounce?
Old 06-03-2012, 02:38 PM
ricardinho

the ultra lightning is a big heavy plane which you should notcut power until one wing length.. i always hold about a quarter on until i get into ground effects.. the sink rate can be decieving with this plane..it will sink fast with power off...this plane love to do 3 pointers on landing... all in all its the best plane i have ever flown ....
Old 06-03-2012, 02:44 PM
topiwala

Thanks 
Yeah I'm probably being fooled by the sink rate on this one. Any thoughts on the prolink struts? Are they better/worst then comparf stock UL trailing struts?

Old 06-03-2012, 02:47 PM
ricardinho

check out my video on youtube under pat roses ultra lightning... you will see a slight bounce due to i cut power a little early ....but all is good...
Old 06-03-2012, 02:50 PM
ricardinho

do the bohetic prolink setup....awesome!!!!
Old 06-03-2012, 03:08 PM
topiwala

Saw the video. Nice. I love how my UL tracks thru pattern aerobatics. What sort of flight time you getting with the 180rx. I have a 7 min timer. I land on the 7th. Probably 1.5 ltr fuel remaining in tanks. That's with a 180vx evojet. 
I might go with prolink struts on my behotec units. They look a lot stiffer then the stock. 
Old 06-03-2012, 06:23 PM
tassos p

The only thing I am yet to figure out is the occurance of bounce on landings. I always approach with a steady sink rate, with no attitude changes, down to a flair. On the final I'm on idle.
But out of the 8 flights so far, I have had two messy bouncy landings. I can't figure out why. Is my speed too low/fast, sink rate too high.
The thing is, it all looks nice and steady until touch down, and then the dreaded bounce sets in, and then its just hoping for the best outcome.
Well done on your first flights. Try to install a crow function. The hopping will go away forever, never again will you see it and no matter your landing speed.

Tassos
Old 06-03-2012, 07:44 PM
topiwala

Hi tassos. 
Thanks Im thinking of doing crow. How much up aileron do you set with full flap. 
Old 06-04-2012, 02:11 AM
tassos p

Hi tassos.
Thanks Im thinking of doing crow. How much up aileron do you set with full flap.
Not too much. I don't remember rexactly and I'll be away from home for 2 weeks to verify it for you. I can tell you I did it by trial and error, experimenting some settings and at the end the landings became so much smoother.

Maybe try 5mm at the outer edge of the aileron.

Tassos
Old 06-04-2012, 02:48 AM
ricardinho

i set my timer to 8 min..i fly 7 ... the big blocks eat lots of fuel
Old 06-04-2012, 03:41 AM
Geoff White

I have a p180rx in my UL and I set the timer to 9:30 minutes. Timer starts at gear up and I go into landing approach when the timer goes off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.