Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

# Everyone-Should Read The following L-I-P-O DISASTER!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

# Everyone-Should Read The following L-I-P-O DISASTER!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 06:32 AM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: # Everyone-Should Read The following L-I-P-O DISASTER!!!

use LiFe  batteries  no problems and they are safe
Old 06-03-2012, 06:41 AM
rctugman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To t9 Dragon
Sorry that I have started two threads but I felt the one about the disaster which could have lead to a much bigger disaster was well worth highlighting sorry you disagree,your privaledge

You have started to threads on here about Lipo problems. The guy you posted about never mentioned if anything about the battery except that it was in good condition. Well the battery could have been sitting for a while and became unbalanced, it could have been damaged internally causing it to short out, there are any number of factors that could have caused the fire. If you are so worried about lipos than don't use them.
I was just showing what can happen..I am not fully aware of all the reasons behind the fire...so please excuse me

and your last bit
If you are so worried about lipos than don't use them.
you are not the first to say this,to me.
but all this started as a debate on safety nof lipo`s and when it began I did not quite realise just what a risk they posed (or could)
that debate widened in to any safe alternatives..that what happens in debates?

but because I can see this degenerating I am making this my last post in both threads which should please you T9 Dragon

best wishes Steve

Old 06-03-2012, 06:47 AM
rctugman

llindsey1965

use LiFe batteries no problems and they are safe
Can these be used in all Rc equipment including 500/600 helis?

I am getting a lot of mixed messages about them

but many thanks Regards Steve
Old 06-03-2012, 06:49 AM
bwd

when I read the list of Do Not Do associated with Li po batteries It makes me shudder. But as with everything there is always common sense. I wonder if the individuals that do have problems with these batteries really understand the technology of them. Why would anyone use them in a model the costs thousands of dollars. With even the romote possibility of have one of these potential fire hazzards takining out your house or shop. and the chance of personal injury to you or even worse, your family.
Within in two weeks, there have been two occurences at our field with them. One pack was laying on the bench next to his plane, and for no apparent reason it just started to smoke. the other, fortunately was in a lipo bag, laying in in the back of a van. Again for no apparent reason, it to started to smoke. Both theses flyers are very experienced,and are heavily into electrics and have the to top of the line equipment for the care of lipo batteries. Nope, I wont give them a place in my shop. Just not willing to risk the slighest chance of having one of these things go up in smoke. I'll stick to what I have been using. But for the indivudals that swear by them, and have not not had any issues. Good luck and with them and hope that luck remains with them. I would not want anyone to suffer any loss. whether personal or material. This is a hobby in which we all want to enjoy,and have fun at.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:55 AM
rctugman

Many thanks BWD

This is basically why I have being trying to highlight ,why in my humble and novice opinion that LIPO`s are to bigger risk...and most of the replies are well if you do this do that do the other and be this that and the other they should be fine...others have said if you are scared of lipos don`t use them? well now I have heard all this feedback and read every link given to me I still think lipos are a time bomb that can go off at any time..or when you least expect it...

Read BWD post....and all you lipo lovers need a reality check

cheers Steve
Old 06-03-2012, 07:00 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rcheli1

[img][/img]To t9 Dragon
Sorry that I have started two threads but I felt the one about the disaster which could have lead to a much bigger disaster was well worth highlighting sorry you disagree,your privaledge

You have started to threads on here about Lipo problems. The guy you posted about never mentioned if anything about the battery except that it was in good condition. Well the battery could have been sitting for a while and became unbalanced, it could have been damaged internally causing it to short out, there are any number of factors that could have caused the fire. If you are so worried about lipos than don't use them.
I was just showing what can happen..I am not fully aware of all the reasons behind the fire...so please excuse me

and your last bit
If you are so worried about lipos than don't use them.
you are not the first to say this,to me.
but all this started as a debate on safety nof lipo`s and when it began I did not quite realise just what a risk they posed (or could)
that debate widened in to any safe alternatives..that what happens in debates?

but because I can see this degenerating I am making this my last post in both threads which should please you T9 Dragon

best wishes Steve

Like what people have mentioned to you before if you treat them with respect than there "should't" be any issues.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:03 AM
rctugman

Not sure of your point

basically i was trying to say what as being repeated many times "if you take care and treat your lipos in the correct manor then they should be fine"

surely you can`t see anything wrong in that statement or maybe you can?
Steve

Old 06-03-2012, 07:05 AM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes check out the new Life batteries they are half the weight you can charge them up and fly them a week later and they are very safe and enviromental friendly  sorry for your loss  hope all is well
Old 06-03-2012, 07:17 AM
rctugman

llindsey1965

would love to hear more about thee alternative batteries
(sorry cant get bold to stop?) and weather they are able to cover all the bases when it comes to all the different RCequipment that uses batteries have being getting a few mixed messages about this

just wish to be clear on the subject

I hope very much these LIFEs are the answer

all the best Steve
Old 06-03-2012, 08:54 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Hello Dirtybird

Dirtybird[/b]
The only disadvantage is they only come in one size

Please excuse this dum question but if the A123S only come in the one size,which is basically what I had learnt,although i do think I did see some different sizes somewhere??? how are you able to use them in all applications?IE Heli/Aircraft,RX e.t.c.(if that`s what you do)

be interested to hear

all the best Steve
There is a smaller size(1100). But I didn't find that size useful.
I do not fly Helis. If you are just starting it will be sometime before you will. (Little co ax units maybe. But with those the lipos are so small the wont cause much damage).
I just chose the size aircraft that fits the increments of the cells. I fly a 55" extra that is perfect for 5 M1 cells. I get my cells on ebay from sz_ohmygod. I get them for less than $10/cell.(50kr?) He ships them for free and they usually arrive in less than 10 days.
I also have a 62" Lazy ace bipe powered with 9 cells, and a 80" extra with 20 cells in a 10s2p pack.The bipe fiies about 6 minutes while the other two fly about 10 minutes/charge.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:07 AM
AmishWarlord

Lipos, the 45 Long Colt of batteries.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:41 AM
rctugman

hello Again Dirtybird

so the A123 & similar are not really (as yet for the bigger RC heli)500/600 size and all the associated Heli battery operated accessories?

all the best Steve
Old 06-03-2012, 10:06 AM
dirtybird

[img][/img]hello Again Dirtybird

so the A123 & similar are not really (as yet for the bigger RC heli)500/600 size and all the associated Heli battery operated accessories?

all the best Steve
Sorry I don't mess with helis so I cant answer your question.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:35 AM
rctugman

Hi Dirtybird
Fully understand and appreciate your position

all the best Steve
Old 06-03-2012, 02:29 PM
MrQweeksdraw

I like donuts.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:02 PM
AB Bob
My Feedback: (20)

Regardless of age or condition.
CHARGE AND STORE THE BATTERIES IN A FIRE SAFE ENCLOSURE.
Get a bag, flower pot, etc. be safe.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:09 PM
splintermaker

I have gotten into electrics a couple of years ago, and lipo's shortly there after. As with many other pieces of equipment there is a "procedure" for safe operation, Same applies in real life !!! Personally, I don't trust ANY BATTERY!!! I charge ALL batteries in a container, even airplane or car bateries. When I charge I put them in a metal "fire-explosion proof" box. I would like to have a "feasable" alternative but it's not here yet. Use caution, follow the proper safety precautions and enjoy the results. Disreguard the proper procedures and you may suffer the consequinces!!! Way I see it,.......... your choice !!!!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:14 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

Both lipos were in good condition but I made the mistake of leaving them on their own for 20 mins and had them sitting on a plastic shelf. Yeah, I know, real dumb. Even dumber was fighting the fire with a hose after the 1 & 2 kg dry powder jobbies had been exhausted.
...I hate this happened, but safe handling rules were ignored.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:24 PM
matoran629

Hey man, I feel your pain! My detached garage burned down in April with all my model gear in it! Not fun. If you're interested, here's a link(not trying to hijack the thread): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7XIYV6f_ko
Old 06-03-2012, 11:41 PM
rctugman

matoran629

I am really sorry for your disaster with lipos...Just wish to make it clear it`s not my personal pain I was just posting someone elses pain
at the top of the thread

cheers Steve

(sorry bold button not responding*)
Old 06-03-2012, 11:43 PM
trax de max

At the end of the day we all know the potential danger of a volatile battery like lipo. We all try and keep it safe.
You can't sit next to a lipo holding an extinguisher and fire blanket for 60Minutes. i run two 2s lipos, i don't use a parallel adaptor which you can buy from shops or a serial adaptor also from shops. I charge each one seperate Yes it takes about 2 hours charging at 1C even though the lipos are 5C, And i don't use fast charge setting as that only leaves the lipos with 75-90% capacity. I like 100% balance charge at 1C.
Yes lipos are dangerous and could kill, just buy one small knock or wrong press of a button.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:25 AM
rctugman

Morning Trax de Max

I thought of a another question?I have noticed in stationers shops these FIRESAFES.and if I am correct quite a few folk use these safes to recharge & store there lipos? when storing is the door closed shut and likewise when charging is the door closed with just the smallest of gaps for charging cables?

regards Steve
Old 06-04-2012, 04:32 AM
GerKonig

I started using 5000 ma lipos many, many, many years ago. about the time Astro came out with their first big lipo charger. Up to 8 cells, max 1C:-)

I never had a problem, nor do I know anyone that had a problem. Said that, i own guns, and never discharged one accidentally, but thousands of people did, all you have to do is search... What does this mean? People that are careful NEVER will discharge a gun by accident.

Fact:
There is no other technology out there better than the Lipo to power my models. Life (123, and others) are OK for the receiver, if needed. Big Life are bigger in size and also weight.

So, after looking at some deliberate man-made explosion of lipos on line, I decided to use them with care. I move them around (car) in a metal ammunition container. I store them in this container in my workshop, of course.

In winter I keep the with a low maintenance charge in a small safe Sentry Water and Fire proof.

If I am in the workshop working, I charge the batteries there. If not ,I charge them under an open porch if raining, or just on the lawn. I use a big terracotta container to do the charge.

You use a cell phone I am sure (they have lipos in there, and some did hurt people, you can look it up)

Laptops also use them, and they also hurt people. Tell Dell:-)

I always handle my Gloc as if it would be loaded, treat the lipos the same way, and you will be OK in the extremely rare event of something happening.

Gerry

Old 06-04-2012, 04:41 AM
rctugman

Hi Gerry
I thank you for your reply ..really appreciate it but you are nothte first to compare laptops & Mobile phones and I am a nivice but I am told there is little comparison between the above and the lipos in RC? the above are far more stable..as to the rest well you have repeated what many have said re looking after lipos and as there is not alternative batteries up to the job Lipo`s it will have to be

but I still hope they improve or something better is developed

all the best Steve
Old 06-04-2012, 05:13 AM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

sorry to here of your misfortune. i'm sure glad it wasn't me. i'm basicly a gas flyer. only have one electric...a stryker 27-Q. one battery only. i used to have two or three battries over the years all li-po. never had a probelm with any. i always treated them right. always used the proper charger and never ran them down to low or overcharged them. alot of guys at our field have many li-pos. none of them have had much trouble with them at all. no fires etc. still makes you wonder about the safeness of them. i never have charged in a bag or container,just plug it in,even in the truck i drive, sits right on the console charging. from now on i will be more conserned about where i charge them. there is always a chance something could happen sometime. thanks for the thread. it will make people more aware of the dangers of such batteries do exist.........RON

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.