Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Setting Slipper Clutch on 4x4: All your best tips, dos and don'ts?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Setting Slipper Clutch on 4x4: All your best tips, dos and don'ts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Hwa224

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting Slipper Clutch on 4x4: All your best tips, dos and don'ts?

For some time I'd been using this method: Roll the car back and let it have some backward momentum, and then throttle it forward, see how it responds and then make adjustments. If there's no lag while accellerating, the slipper clutch may be too tight. There should be a little lag.

Or that's how I've done it. But I'm no longer sure. I keep getting stripped gears, which is happening (I'm not sure) due either to slipper clutch which is too tight or a slipper clutch that is too loose (and overheating causing the center pulley gear right next to the slipper to heat, soften, and strip out). Again, I'm not sure as I wasn't able to get to the gears right after they'd strip out.

What's your proven method for setting the clutch?

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:49 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Setting Slipper Clutch on 4x4: All your best tips, dos and don'ts?

sometimes i hold the car to the ground and quickly give it full throttle, it should slip, not too quickly as to melt the clutch, but not too slow or not at all as to break the gears.

what car is it on? some are just prone to wearing/stripping.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Hwa224

It's a Tamiya DB01. I'll try your method once I get the car running again, thanks.

Keep the tips coming.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:21 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ths only works on high powered systems, but hold the rear wheels and floor it. It should only lift the front wheels about 5cm while slipping

Or set it so u can turn it by hand. Do a test run, if u here it slip tighten it up 1/8th of a turn. Let it cool down and do another test run. Keep doing this until it does not slip on hard acceleration, but keep in mind the more heat the easier it will slip so don't let it slip for to long while adjusting it, if it does let it cool down again.
The idea is its only just tight enough to hold the torque on acceleration, but nothing els.
If its set perfect it should not slip under acceleration (unless it's pulling wheelie) but f u backed of the nut a bee's dick it would slip..
Old 06-04-2012, 07:16 PM
pyromatic177

I normally tighten it up all the way and back it out 1/2 turn. Just as a good starting base. Then go from there
Old 06-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on a solid surface peg the throttle from a stand still . should hear it slip for the first 6 feet or so. how ive always done mine
Old 06-05-2012, 06:57 AM
pyromatic177

ORIGINAL: Shabbernigdo

on a solid surface peg the throttle from a stand still . should hear it slip for the first 6 feet or so. how ive always done mine
Hmm, how long do the pads lasts on that setting?

Old 06-05-2012, 09:44 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dident think it was ment to slip under normal driving conditions, he must be loosing heaps of torque with it set that loose