Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Pro level 3d helicopter?

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Pro level 3d helicopter?

Old 06-04-2012, 02:20 AM
CuboDeAgua

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro level 3d helicopter?

Hi there,

Which ones are good pro level 3d RChelicopters and from about how much someone can buy them nowadays?

Just some general advices about cheapest ones and most expensive ones and some differences between them please.

Thanks in advance.

btwi'm talking about electric helis. And i ask cause i've got a griffin 450 3d (E-Razor 450 i thinks its the same heli)but it lacks performance for some things i'm used to do with the sim. That's why i ask.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:50 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 341 Likes on 273 Posts
Default RE: Pro level 3d helicopter?

Align Trex series like the 600's and 700's

JR Vibes

SAB Goblin

Logo's

Those are just a few examples, as for prices you can do a little research in your area based on those recomendations.

I will say this, a "pro level" helicopter has a lot more to do with pilot proficency (practice) than throwing money at a fancy model and upgrades.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:24 AM
CuboDeAgua

Thanks barracuda ^^.

I'm aware of that about pilot proficiency, just wanting to know some helis to be sure it's actually my lack of proficiency what is not letting me doing some things i can do with real flight and a Raptor 90 for example really easy.

With my griffin, when i try maneuvers with the rotor close to a vertical plane i can only prevent the heli from slowly falling down if igo far away from the vertical plane and i must do them slower (wider angles) and higher so finallythey don't look as "cool" and as "agressive" as they do in more powerful helis or in the sim.

Anyway i'll ask the same question at the RC shop, but in the end a shop is a business, so a second, third or forth opinion is always useful before buying .

In fact now i remember the shop guy told me about JRVibes helicopters talking about a good 3d option, but i just wanted a heli to learn first.

Thanks again.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:28 PM
bikemad

an Align 550 3GX is a good heli to start 3D, it has a few good points other heli's don't , first it's size isn't what you'd think, it's much more 600 than 500, you would think it would be in the middle of a 500-600 but it's not. bigger is better in so many ways.
The battery is one expense where a 550 is better than a 600, to get a 600 to a good 3D standard you need 12S battery or two 6S battery's, a 550 does the same job with one 6S battery, I like to have at lest 6 flights when I go flying, that's 6 battery's for the 550 or £360 to me compared to £720 for a 600 and remember your battery's don't last for ever,
Align's are easy to get parts for and upgrades,
price no object then I'd have a Corbin 700 please, but at that price you could have 5 align 550's, the thought of learning to do 3D with one is just wrong, one day I would like a cobin but not till I can fly a year with out a crash, it's just to much money and it's to nice to crash,
a 550 is just right, loads of power and full size,cheap to fix, the worst bit to replace is the blades, your find that no mater what heli you get,
after learning on a top specked 450 FB heli's the FBL 550 3GX was amazing, I wish I'd of moved up as soon as I learnt to hover, the price to build my 450's was the same as my align 550 3GX,
I wouldn't buy any cheaper,
Old 06-05-2012, 11:04 AM
CuboDeAgua

Really nice advice bikemad. I think that was what i was looking for, the cheapest thing with good performance. I know how to "fly safe without crash", but i'm totally new to the helicopter specs, types and knowledge in general.

Anyway... aligns are RTF?

I wouldhave no problem about repairs, etc. (i haven't crashed any big heli yet though) but i wouldn't want to mount the whole thing initially and calibrate it. Just not interested in that nowadays.

In fact i have no big time to fly outdoors so i just spend a lot of time with the pc sim.

Maybe its really sad to say, but before i flew my griffin for the first time i had not less than 150 hours of sim flight .

That's good for the heli, but kind of sad for me.... (just liying, i really like the sim. That way you can flight really confident after and if you have no time you have no time).

Apart... can anyone give me a link to any video or give me some explanation about 3d heli performance in terms of things that can be done and how can be done for example between a TRex 550 and that goblin 700 like helicopters?
Is there a big difference? Now i'm just curious, not interested in becomming a pro at all lol .

Old 06-05-2012, 11:42 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 341 Likes on 273 Posts

The biggest difference is size and price, also the bigger helis have a higher power to weight ratio.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:00 PM
bikemad

Thanks CuboDeAgua, I have seen a video like what you want, a spit video with the sticks showing and the heli but I can't find it, there are some good video's of align's 550 and cobin's 700 doing all sorts of 3D flight, just do a web search, there's loads out there, here's one to show you what a stock 550 with the old M motor can do, the MX motor has more power,
Alan Szabo Jr. ALIGN Trex 550E 3G Flybarless Test 1 - YouTube
as for tricks if you can think of it a align 550 3GX can do it, I know my 550's will do all the tricks I can do and learn for the next 3 years, so it's all the heli I need, they have been clocked at over 90 mph so they aren't under powered,
If you have the money then have both, here is all your need to now about the cobin, no heli is perfect and I would like to see a toque tube in stead of belts but it's the best I've seen and one I'd love to own, but don't forget the 550 comes with all the electrics, the corbin need's the best so allow $3000 or more on top of the heli's price,
Old 06-06-2012, 06:50 AM
CuboDeAgua

Iwon't go for luxuries now, that's for sure ^^.

Anyway... is there a ready to fly option for the Trex, or you always have to mount the heli?

Which one would be a RTF heli similar to the TRex 5503GX?

And how long does it take normally to mount a whole helicopter?
Old 06-06-2012, 05:50 PM
bikemad

It very important to be able to rebuild and fix your heli, we all crash and need to be able to fix them easy and quickly, building your heli with all the bits in good shape will help you find the bent and broken bit's after a crash,
learning to set up your heli is very important and we can set them up to fly the way we like, it's one of the things I like about modern heli's. knowing how to rebuild your heli and how to set it up will save you lots of time in the long run.
The build time for a align 550 is a bit like how long is a bit of string, I can build one in one to two days but if your new to them it might take 3 to 5 days to build and set up well enough to fly, I like to do it the best I can, I grease all the bearings and only use lock tight on a few bit's, I'm not a fan of lock tight, it makes it more likely to strip the threads or round of the heads of the nut and bolts after a few rebuilds,
I can't recommend highly enough that you build you heli, knowing how it goes together when it's new and strait will save you lots of time later,
Old 06-09-2012, 05:13 PM
CuboDeAgua

Thanks for the advice again bike ^^.

I think i'll try to build it by myself then... when i'm able to