Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

AMT ECU Battery for Pegasus

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

AMT ECU Battery for Pegasus

Old 06-06-2012, 03:20 PM
cbooth1979
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMT ECU Battery for Pegasus

Hi,

I have an AMT Pegasus engine and it has a 9.6V Nicad ECU battery with it. I would like to use a more modern battery but am not sure what voltage the ECU can handle. I have heard that 12v is ok but I do not know for sure. Hopefully I can use a 3 cell A123/Lipo? Thanks for the help

-Carl
Old 06-06-2012, 03:30 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: AMT ECU Battery for Pegasus

3 cell LiPo works just fine... ECU Works from 7.2v to 14.0v. The Pegasus and Olympus need at leas 9.6, The Mercury will work fine on a 2 cell LiPo..

Danno
Old 06-06-2012, 03:40 PM
cbooth1979

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! Thats good to know, I assume 3500-4500mAh would be good as well for a day of flying?

Thanks again,

-Carl
Old 06-06-2012, 05:42 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: cbooth1979

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! Thats good to know, I assume 3500-4500mAh would be good as well for a day of flying?

Thanks again,

-Carl
2300mah should be good for a least 4 flights and you can recharge them in just 15 or 20 minutes. FYI, switching to A123 may require an adjustment to the glow plug voltage to keep from blowing them. Unfortunately, it's not easy to do. Requires a program and an adapter to hook up the ECU to a computer.

Craig
Old 06-07-2012, 03:53 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

What version ECU do you have? I don't think they early ECU's will like Lipo Power. Not to mention... there is no guard in them, keeping them from over discharging the Lipo. And... as above... if you use more voltage... the pump, starter, and glow voltages will be off, and need to be re-adjusted. (for a V2 ecu)

Just throwing in my 2 cents.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Doctor jet

ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

What version ECU do you have? I don't think they early ECU's will like Lipo Power. Not to mention... there is no guard in them, keeping them from over discharging the Lipo. And... as above... if you use more voltage... the pump, starter, and glow voltages will be off, and need to be re-adjusted. (for a V2 ecu)

Dr H is correct.

Look at the ECU and note the version and engine serial number. Email AMT the information and the question to confirm. I think that v1's are stuck with NiCd or NiMH.

Details on how to change the settings are on their website. Always change the settings with a NiCd pack. Be careful with the glow plug setting once a LiPo is connected.

There is no low voltage protection, but with a 3Ah pack you will get at least 8 flights before a charge is required and it won't start if the voltage is too low.

Regards

Dr J
Old 06-07-2012, 02:38 PM
rcjetsaok

ORIGINAL: Doctor jet

ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

Dr H is correct.

Look at the ECU and note the version and engine serial number. Email AMT the information and the question to confirm. I think that v1's are stuck with NiCd or NiMH.

Details on how to change the settings are on their website. Always change the settings with a NiCd pack. Be careful with the glow plug setting once a LiPo is connected.

There is no low voltage protection, but with a 3Ah pack you will get at least 8 flights before a charge is required and it won't start if the voltage is too low.

Regards

Dr J

Guys,

The ECU will handle 7.2 to 14.0 volts... There is no setting anything... The ECU will only send the correct voltage to the pump and glow plug regardless what the input voltage is !! Ya'll are worrying about nothing... Plug it, go fly !!!!

Danno
Old 06-07-2012, 02:54 PM
CraigG

ORIGINAL: rcjetsaok

Guys,

The ECU will handle 7.2 to 14.0 volts... There is no setting anything... The ECU will only send the correct voltage to the pump and glow plug regardless what the input voltage is !! Ya'll are worrying about nothing... Plug it, go fly !!!!

Danno
I hope your right Danno but I was definately blowing plugs when I switched to an A123 battery with my Pegasus (ECU Version 2). It may have more to do with differences in resistance than total voltage. Attached is the info sheet from AMT addressing the issue and recommend ECU settings.

Craig
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Db84886.pdf (148.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-07-2012, 04:13 PM
rcjetsaok

Graig,

I thought we were talking Version 1.... I don't know anything about V2... My bad.... Did he ever say what he had ???

Danno
Old 06-08-2012, 02:50 AM
CraigG

ORIGINAL: rcjetsaok

Craig,

I thought we were talking Version 1.... I don't know anything about V2... My bad.... Did he ever say what he had ???

Danno
I don't think he did say which version.....and you're right. They are two different animanls.

Craig
Old 06-09-2012, 07:29 AM
cbooth1979

Thanks for all the info guys, Im not sure what version it is either right now. The serial # on the engine/Ecu is 121030. I believe its a Pegusus Mk3 and the glow plug is manually lit and not connected to the ecu in any way....I think. I have the ecu installed right now so I cant see the #'s on the bottom , does it say what version it is anywhere?
Old 06-09-2012, 07:37 AM
cbooth1979

FYI, This engine was bought new back someware between 1998-2000. Only run time logged is the 15min test from AMT! I think its time to use it in something...
Old 06-09-2012, 09:43 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

If its vintage 1998 then it's,likely version 1 and if you are gong to run it manually you can run any 11.0v pack to power the ecu. If you are going to use an auto start box, talk to CraigG.

I have Flown over 6 flights before recharging and will likely only use only 400-600 mah on a 2200 mah 11.0 v lipo

Good luck with it, they are rock solid motors just a lil heavier than other stuff on the market.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:52 AM
cbooth1979

ORIGINAL: yeahbaby

If its vintage 1998 then it's,likely version 1 and if you are gong to run it manually you can run any 11.0v pack to power the ecu. If you are going to use an auto start box, talk to CraigG.

I have Flown over 6 flights before recharging and will likely only use only 400-600 mah on a 2200 mah 11.0 v lipo

Good luck with it, they are rock solid motors just a lil heavier than other stuff on the market.
Hi,

So your saying to use a 3 cell lipo I assume? I know what your saying about the weight...its a tank for sure but its bulletproof like you said. Going to use it in my Ultra Flash for the time being and Im worried about it being way tail heavy. Would a 3 cell duralite pack (9.9V) be alright or do I need the extra voltage of the lipo? Again thanks to all for the help on this...

-Carl

Old 06-09-2012, 01:05 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

you can use a 3cell lipo amigo, and like danno said previously you will need a minimum of 9.6 v to run the ecu. I've used everything from 4000mah Nimh car. Pack - to the duralite 11v packs - whatever helps to balance cg. Recently I've switched to A123s for the Rx and 3cell lipos for the ecu and accepting any additional lead wt. the trade off with the lighter more powerful A123s and lipo is worth it..

Happy to help, along with everybody else.

Cheers

ORIGINAL: cbooth1979

Hi,

So your saying to use a 3 cell lipo I assume? I know what your saying about the weight...its a tank for sure but its bulletproof like you said. Going to use it in my Ultra Flash for the time being and Im worried about it being way tail heavy. Would a 3 cell duralite pack (9.9V) be alright or do I need the extra voltage of the lipo? Again thanks to all for the help on this...

-Carl