Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

going to try instead of arf.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

going to try instead of arf.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Phoenixangel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: going to try instead of arf.

You can not go wrong with one of these [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYXF7&P=0]Goldberg Tiger 2[/link]
Old 06-06-2012, 06:11 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

I also teach kit building once in a while, these days no one seems to want to bother learning so I only teach one person every year or two these days. Even a decade ago I would have a couple of students at a time and teach every month.
A lot depends on the piloting skills but I used to use the GP Super Sportster 60 then someone put me onto the Four Star by SIG so I started using there 60 size plane for older students and sometimes the 40 for younger people.
Older people can get there fingers into a bigger plane so that's one reason for the 60 4*. Older pilots can see a bigger plane easier, reason #2. The 60 doesn't do anything as fast as the 40 size so older students can handle it easier.
If the student is a better pilot then we remove a couple of wing bays in the 60 so it has a faster roll rate.
The 4* planes are very easy to build and very easy to fly. Landing and take off of the 4* 60 is great.
The one thing in the build I have forgotten once or twice is to install the shear web between the spars. I have built the plane so many times my brain sort of goes into neutral and I think I have forgotten that shear web twice. Not a big deal, I still install them.
Other then that I can't recall any building problem with the plane at all. Love the way SIG has you install the aileron servos.
Anyway, that has been my number one teaching kit over the years but as mentioned by prgonzalez the Up-Roar is the easiest kit for building. As a fun fly plane it was designed to be built over night and flown the next day. I love the plane but it may be a hand full for a lot of pilots. It is one of my all time favorites though and the Dazzler is close but a bit harder to build and fly.
There you have it, my two cents!!!

This guy is like E.F. Hutton....When he speaks (smart)people listen.

All good words, Gene.

SS60 and SS40 great planes as well as the 4*'s. Vanilla builds and planes that won't spark your adrenaline as a novice and won't bore you as an advanced flyer. Still ring out my forerunner of the SS40 on a regular basis(Hal Davis/HobbyDynamics "Sportee Fourtee")...gentle as you need it or wild as you want it with an OS 46LA
Old 06-06-2012, 06:28 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

The Carl Goldberg Tiger 2 or Tiger 60 are great kits and fly beautifuly!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Last two students, a 12 year old and an 80 year old. 12 year old has a two bay clip job and the saito 100 GK. The 80 year old has the full wing with a OS .60. Both planes flew great, they are 4 Star 60s and can't fly any other way. Both planes were an easy build. The 12 year old took the summer, he was gone with the family a lot and didn't bother to think that maybe I would like to have something else on my board. The 80 year old drove over from Boulder almost every day and the plane went from box to air in three weeks including covering.
I did try to talk him out of solid blue but it isn't my plane and I only tell a student something once or twice. The 12 year old I took to an IMAC a year before the build, he found a plane he just loved so I had him take a photo. It's not an extra but it is covered smiler to one he spotted, very easy plane to see in the sky. This will show you pretty much anyone can build the plane and fly it in any weather you run into.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31337.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	1769925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42101.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	1769926  
Old 06-06-2012, 07:57 PM
morgan175

I thank everyone for their advice.  Hopefully you will be here when I get stuck.  I have chosen drum roll  Sig LT-40.  I found a lot of helpful links or threads in rcu about the Lt-40.  next will be the sig star 60 depending on how I do.    

Next question how many build with magnets over pins?  

Thank you again 
Old 06-06-2012, 08:06 PM
rv9-a

Pins
Old 06-07-2012, 04:12 AM
[email protected]

go for a 40 size trainer>> more planes out there for 40 size then 25 size a cub is easy to build>>
Old 06-07-2012, 07:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: vicman

Balsa USA Student Trainer.
Awesome instructions, big and capable.

That would be a cool one. Probably lots more construction techniques learned over a nomal trainer.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:23 AM
noterman

Try a Tiger 60 from Tower. Great plane with excellant instructions. A very easy build that flies great.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:49 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: morgan175
I have chosen drum roll Sig LT-40.
Either the 4 star 60 or LT-40 are a good choice. I built a 4* for myself and helped my dad build an LT-40, and the 4* was actually easier to build and went together better.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:40 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Great Planes makes very good kits with excellent book instructions.  And there are the PT-40 and PT-60 trainers so you can select your size.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Gray Beard

Pins. My building board is soft pine reinforced on the bottom so it doesn't warp. I remove the reinforcement every couple of years and run my board through my wood clubs over head sander to smooth it out and level it. I remove all the saw marks, epoxy globs, glue globs, writing and such. My board has been with me for decades.
I have seen a few metal/magnet boards/tables and would like to try one once. I'm too old to bother building a new board but I would still like to give the magnets a try.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:20 AM
EyeflyRC
My Feedback: (147)

You could also try a Carl Goldberg Eaglet 50 trainer. It is one of the easiest kits to build with step by step instructions with diagrams and detailed plans. Includes good hardware and flies great with an OS .25. The kit is discontinued but E....y sells them for $80 and up. I happen to have one new in the box. Would sell for $60 plus shipping.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:23 AM
[email protected]

DO A TIGER 60 THEN YOU WILL HAVE A GOOD TRAINER AND STUNT PLANE AND A GOOD 60 OS ENGINE WHAT A COMBO AND GET AT LEAST A 6 CH RADIO CHECK YOUR LOCAL HOBBY SHOP
Old 06-07-2012, 12:47 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SP, I agree. I guess it's too new for everyone to know about it. I bought one just because.

Morgan, PINS
Old 06-07-2012, 06:09 PM
morgan175

Ordered my sig LT-40 today and will pick up on thursday next week.   Have also ordered  Fourmost sander and miter box hopefully this is what i need went out on my own.  Picked up a table wich is 48 x 24 it a steel card table now I have to go get a ceiling tile.  Please help in any other way I listen to all ideas.   Have to make a copy of the plans I will forget.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: morgan175

Ordered my sig LT-40 today and will pick up on thursday next week. Have also ordered Fourmost sander and miter box hopefully this is what i need went out on my own. Picked up a table wich is 48 x 24 it a steel card table now I have to go get a ceiling tile. Please help in any other way I listen to all ideas. Have to make a copy of the plans I will forget.
Why get the plans copied?? You only need to do that if your going to cut them up like you do with builders plans when scratch building. You may want to make templates of the parts though. If you use wax or parchment paper over the plans when building you don't do much damage to thm at all.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:02 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wax paper for sure!
Old 06-08-2012, 04:17 AM
grimbeaver

I have built both a Sig Kadet LT40 and a Sig 4Star 60. The Kadet was my first plane, the 4Star my 3rd (but 2nd kit). The instructions were pretty good. I don't think you'll find a plane with 100% perfect exact tiny step by step details. I will say this though, my 4Star 60 with an OS 75AX in it doesn't care how windy it is. It will float and fly like there is no wind at all. The only problem with the 4Star is the landing gear it comes with is extremely soft.

I would look at the Venture 60 from Bruce Tharpe Engineering. He designed the 4Star when he worked at Sig and the Venture is an upgraded version of it with many of the issues fixed.

http://www.btemodels.com/venture.html
Old 06-08-2012, 04:54 AM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: mikegordon10

Ya can't go wrong with any of the 4 Star kits from Sig. A 60 size plane is easier to fly than a forty size.
YES!! Sig 4-Star 60. After you build that and want a bigger plane........SIG 4-Star 120.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:40 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

all the suggestions are good.you might even build a goldberg anniversary cub.or a stick..