Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

FRL45 Gas engine Whats the verdict?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

FRL45 Gas engine Whats the verdict?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 06:55 PM
OkieTrucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FRL45 Gas engine Whats the verdict?

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

Plug? There is a nice new plug with the engine, but I like to have spares. Couldn't find a number referenced anywhere....any help?

Prop bolt - also want to replace hex head bolt with drilled and tapped metric bolt (for spinner mounting). What is the size/pitch of the stock prop hub bolt?
Speaking of prop bolts, I stripped the nut you had mounted in the end, and I can find a new prop bolt, how can I replace that nut?
Old 10-07-2008, 11:56 AM
androidx1

Can any of you guys flying the FTL 45 tell me what the dimensions are of this engine........I notice HobbyKing does show basic dimensions, but if any of you can estimate the following dimensions for me......(trying to decide if this engine will fit inside my Ultra RC Giles 77")

Center line to top(top of cooling head)
Center line to bottom of crank case
Center line to outside edge of carb
Center line to outside edge of Muffler
Back mounting plate to center of cooling head
Back mounting plat to prop hub side face

Thansk in advance for your help.

Mike
Old 11-15-2008, 11:44 AM
patzane

just book keeping this thread. Thinking of getting this motor for my NitroPlane AT-6
Old 11-24-2008, 10:32 AM
joseph185

Does anyone have a good bearing nmber? Ive tried 6202vvc3 and it does not match anything or come up at the part house thanks Joey. Also the description on HC website list this engine as having 2 reeds can anyone confirm this and where would they be located .
Old 11-24-2008, 10:39 AM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

It is a side inducted engine and does not use reeds, if you are talking about the 45cc

I have bought bearings at Napa, Just take the bearing to them and they can size it for you.

Milton
Old 11-24-2008, 04:03 PM
joseph185

Can anyone give me a good number for the bearings I was told NSK 6202vvc3 is not a valid no. Thanks Joey!!!!!!!! And also can more power be had from this engine with any old pro tricks.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:47 PM
WACO528

The 6202VVC3 is the number right off of the NSK label. There is also a 6202VVC3E and a C SRIS5 number on the label. The number you have is the one used to order the bearings from Standard Bearing. You will want to remove the seals from the back bearing and the seal on the side that faces the back of the engine on the front bearing as the grease inside won't stand up to operating temps and RPM of the engine as I was told they would. I never had a problem with overheating, but did have a problem with the front bearing after several hours of run time and found the grease in bad shape. Replaced both bearings and removed the seals to get constant lubrication and cooling from the mixture coming through the crankcase. Hope this helps.
Dave
Old 08-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

I have a FTL 45 NIB, going to order the GP Extra 300s "Gene Soucy" ARF...should be a good match. The 300 is $279.00 minus $70.00 in coupons, and free shipping. $409 for a pretty good 1st Gasser I think...we will see how the FTL 45 does...
Old 08-31-2009, 09:37 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

I found these Champion RDJ7Y Copper plus plugs in a 4-pack for $10.00 or so plus S&H....

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(2r2dxu45sgtxla55kzjiv255)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=7091689

I ordered a set a few minutes ago...looks like a fairly good price!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:55 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

I just picked up a used Ace Extra 230 with an FTL 45cc engine. Haven't run it yet, but was told it runs very well. The quality of the engine looks good (better than the XYZ 50 I bought last year...). Is anyone here still flying their FTL's? Any pointers for me? And does any dealer still service or sell parts for these FTL's? I Googled "Western Hobbies" but did not find it. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2012, 02:59 AM
comstech

Just to revive an old tread, I am in the process of putting a FTL 45 in a ESM DHC-2 Beaver 95" I am going to put it on floats so wanted the extra engine size. The main problem is with the head of the motor sticking out the bottom of the cowl and the side mounted card sticking out as well it does not leave much of the carb in place.

A question, the carb on mine when you open the choke it locks on a throttle stop thing are people removing all these links and just have having a basic lever or leaving them in place. I have left mine in plave and attached a home made horn made out of pcb material and riveted it on to the existing horn
Old 05-27-2012, 04:55 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

comstech - glad to see I'm not the only one looking to use an FTL 45. That plane I posted about last year? I crashed it (it stalled and nose-dived in) and did some damage to the engine. I recently dug it out of storage and am looking to get it working again. I need a prop hub assembly, a carb manifold, and a few other small parts. The EI had a split in the wiring but it looks like I've successfully fixed that. Just not sure what plane I want to put it into yet. I have a 78" Kangke Hurricane that might be a good candidate, if I can fix the right wing sufficiently.

btw - if you're asking about whether to leave that throttle stop, I - and I believe most - people remove it.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:40 AM
comstech

If the front seal is leaking can you hear it?

My motor won't pull fuel up from the tank, but if fill the fuel line by disconnecting it and flowing in the breather and then reconnecting the fuel line while it is still full of fuel the motor starts and runs fine...
Old 06-12-2012, 05:00 AM
comstech

Ok another question I have replaced the oil seal anyway but the one we remove has a 14mm hole why are we replacing this with a 15mm holed one?