Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

gorilla glue vs. epoxy

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

gorilla glue vs. epoxy

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 05:02 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: gorilla glue vs. epoxy

ORIGINAL: goirish

Gosh I think we all need to lighten up. What difference does it make what kind of glue a builder uses. If you don't like the product don't use it.

So true. This conversation seems very familiar. Oh wait. I'm thinking back to 1977 listening to a bunch of guys bagging on a certain glue, Hot Stuff. Said it was junk and it would never be strong enough to build an airplane out of. They sang praises about Ambroid, Titebond and Sig epoxy. Seems we can't gey by without a bottle of CA nowadays.

I do have GG in my shop too. I use it alot when dealing with foam. I have sheeted wings with it on two occasions with great results. Wouldn't even think about doing hinge points without it. My first few times were not ideal but with everything you have to develop a technique.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:55 PM
oliveDrab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used Gorilla Glue with great success for gluing balsa skins to foam core wings on SIG King Kobras. I've done it 3 times and if I do it again I will use Gorilla Glue. I've used the foaming kind of GG. As long as you wet down the wood and clamp it after applying the GG, it will work really well and will hold with a vengeance. Check on it while it's drying and wipe off any excess foam that develops.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:53 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

The wings I sheeted with GG were done in a vacuum bag. The bagging process removes much of the humitity so it foams much less. Here are the two airplanes that were sheeted with GG.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61010.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	1771619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55349.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	1771620  
Old 06-12-2012, 07:08 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must admit, I was not thinking of foam applications earlier when I posted. Yes, it is great for foam, especially gluing in spars, ribs, etc.

Jeff
Old 06-13-2012, 05:44 AM
juanjulian
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wil say there is the best glue dependig the aplication.

Gorilla makes lite bonds to foam penetrating and filling voids.

Epoxy is heavy and makes strong bonds where vibration is an issue.

CA or instant glue is fast but britle.

White glue is a very good all pupose glue but very slow gluing.

So with experience and experimentarion you will find the best suited glue for the job.

In my contry gorrilla glue has a very short shelf life to to hi humidity.

Cheers.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:52 AM
hexonxonx
My Feedback: (2)

gorilla glue does not adhere to a taped surface very well, from personal experience. i still use GG with confidence, as long as its not on a taped or filmed surface.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I Have some old fiberglass fused pattern planes that have wood bulkheads. GG has been the best glue I have found for gluing different types of surfaces together and the only type of glue that will work on one of them. Not sure what resin was originaly used to make the fuse but nothing wants to stick to this fuse except GG. After two decades of flying I'm pretty sure all the original releasing agents has been removed. Maybe not but I do clean the surfaces with acetone before gluing.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:44 AM
heyharv

Hello all.

I have been a composite manufacture for over 30 years. And now I am experimenting in the model industry.  Yes there are great off the shelf products that for consumers can work quite well if used for their purposes.  However we all know as model builder we have this little part of us that become a chemist or inventor to accomplish our projects. This being said, I always use the KISS system whenever I am working on something (Keep It Sweet and Simple).

Presently I am using Blue SM foam in many of my project.  It is easy to work with and it quite strong for the weight ratio. However there are some difficulties when using foams if you need to bond whatever on its surface.  The one problem is, the foam surface has an open cell structure that is present when you have sanded the surfaces of the foam. 

This can be problematic when trying to fill these cavities with a bonding product to glue to balsa sheeting.  The foam cavities take up a percentage of the bonding product to fill these cavities. Then you need to guess enough for the amount of product you will need to bond the balsa. If you are bonding balsa sheeting remember that the balsa will absorb a large percentage of bonding product. This could become a problem once everything has dried.  You could end up with delaminating due to the fact that the 2 surfaces have absorbed the bonding product and you end up a mechanical bonding failure or known as delaminating because there is no product between the 2 surfaces.

My #1 product is epoxy laminating resin a good quality Resin.  Why Epoxy resin, it is simple to work with, easily cleaned up, give adequate time to accomplish your projects and has superior strengths in relation to most products available in hardware stores.  The other reason I like to use epoxy is that there is practically no odour and it does not melt the foam.  When I bond foam to balsa or whatever I never use pure resin.  The reason is, when resin is pure it has a tendency of flowing for a long period of time until the resin kicks. This often results in pooling or actually flowing off the surfaces you are trying to bond.

This is what I do to resolve this problem:  I will mix baby powder in the resin after it is catalyzed.  I will add enough baby powder to thicken the resin to a consistency of hand lotion, thick enough to apply with a brush but that will hold and not run off.  You can also use this method by increasing the amount of powder to achieve a bonding paste that you can use to gluing in baffles, very strong and light.

Back in the shop when I was building boat we used Cabosil powder to obtain the same result when bonding balsa core, pvc foam or honeycomb sheeting. This was a very effective way to insure a that all surface were strongly bonded

Due to my history I am more aware of products than the average person because of my trade.  This means that when I am in hardware store the clerk tends to think that I am a bit crazy when I ask question related to chemical properties of products. Lololo

All Kidding aside; GG, CA, Aylmer Wood glue and all product you may find are more then likely all good for their intended usage, but as we all experience in our great past time we often try to use these product for what they were not intended to used for .

This is what I do and to date I have had great results.

I use these products:

MIA100 Resin and MIA97 Hardener fro Freeman Supply <cite>www.freemansupply.com

</cite>

<cite>Johnsons Baby powder

</cite>

Hope you enjoy this info.

heyharv

Old 10-24-2012, 07:28 AM
heyharv

Hi
There is a reason that many people have problem using glues on fuselages. The preferred resin been used as over the years in constructing fuselages is Epoxy.Compared to polyester it is a far superior resin in strengths and many other reason too numerous to describe. However, there are particularities that can be frustrating when trying to bond on to an epoxy laminate.Many products will bond to the surfaces but will eventually fail over time and will delaminate.
In the Composite industry there are rules, you can bond with epoxy on a polyester laminates however you can not bond with polyester on an epoxy laminate.This is chemistry and far too complicated to explain.GG and other similar products will work great when used on a fuselage in polyester. The complication is to ID the type of product that has been used with you fuselage, polyester or epoxy.
This is the reason why I use epoxy 90 percent of the time.
heyharv