Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Main shaft!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 02:50 PM
wolfman01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main shaft!!

YES,,, you can bend a main shaft. I had a hard landing w/ my T-Rex 700E and the main and tail blades were wiped out. I replaced EVERYTHING that showed any signs of damage. When I tried to fly again, the chopper started SHAKING very hard every time the skids left the ground. I checked and rebalanced the main blades and the flybar paddles. Still shook. I took the main shaft and spun it on a device for checking straightness of hunting arrows, and it looked perfect. Finnaly, I decided to replace the main shaft. BAM! no more shake! Even though it looked straight, it wasn't. This shaft looks very strong, but even the slightest bend, .0005 will make it shake. From now on, when in doubt, I'm replacing it.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:11 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Main shaft!!

No surprise there, I've found that buying hardened main shafts and titanium etc just resulted in bent expensive shafts.

No offense to your high tech arrow thingy but rolling a main on a sheet of glass will show you if its bent, it will tap tap tap if it is.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:37 PM
wolfman01

The only problem with that is, there's a raised spot in the middle of the shaft so it can't be rolled flat on glass. But that is a good idea! Thanks.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:42 AM
ATVAlliance

I dont think Ive not had a crash or even hard landing that I did not bend the main shaft...feathering shaft and tail shaft on my 450.  Ive not crashed my 500 or 600...so I dont know about their durability, although I would expect much the same.

I keep all 3 shafts (multiples) in my spares box.  Hate having to wait for parts and shafts, at least on 450's are cheap.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:27 AM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

i find feather shaft gets it easily too just remove a blade insert the correct allen head  and turn clock wise or counter cc and watch the grips its the quickest way to see if its bent you will see the grips move up and down even the slightest bit.