Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Why not transport your fully assembled aircraft to the field?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Why not transport your fully assembled aircraft to the field?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Why not transport your fully assembled aircraft to the field?

ORIGINAL: G.Barber

I also built a trailer for hauling my planes to the field. Final cost (including $109.00 for a permanent license) was just under $800.00

The trailer frame was built from 2'' square tubing, and has a final dimension of 4'x8'. It is 43'' tall inside.

I've been thinking about doing an article on the trailer - anyone interested? I took pictures as I built it...

I used a Harbor Freight trailer frame w/ 12" wheels for my frame. They were on sale for like $175 when I built the trailer. You cannot hardly even buy an axle and wheels for that, infact I know you can't. The extereier on mine is 1/2 flooring underlayment plywood (waterproof glue). The floor is 3/4" treated plywood, and the frame work is 2 x 3's. The construction is torque bit deck screws with waterproof glue. Its painted with Farm implement enamel. Its equiped with led interier and exterier lights, AGM Deep Cycle battery wired for two chargers. I would have made it bigger yet, but was worried about towing it with a small car. Mine is 43" outside height, 7-1/2' feet long, and 42" inside width.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:05 PM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My floor is also 3/4" ply, but I used regular ply and sprayed the bottom and the whole frame with spray-can rubberized undercoating.

I decided on a steel frame because I had access to a welder. I bought two 24' sticks of the 2" square tubing from my local steel dealer - the steel cost me $94.00 including tax. I DID already have the axle, but it was only 31" wide. I cut the axle and welded in a spacer to get the mounts out to 48". The enclosure frame is all 2"x3" and the sheeting is 1/4" Luann plywood. It's light and cheap! The rear door (38"x38") doubles as a ramp for loading other items, and the doors on each side are 34"x34". All of the hinges are bolted in place and have locking nuts on the inside of the trailer, and each of the three doors is double latched and double locked.

I picked up an LED light kit for $20.00 at my local surplus store, along with the wheel/tires. They're only 8" wheels, but the over-all diameter of the tire is 14".

I bought the gloss paint from Walmart - it's oil-based Rustoleum, and it was $26 for a gallon.

I did go through 4 tubes of sealant as I was adding the sheeting. She's pretty water tight, but I want to go over every seam inside when I get some extra cash again...

That's pretty much the highlights... No interior lights yet, but I may add them in the future!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:07 PM
paulhold
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call NASA quick!! this MUST be a bad idea.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13669.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	1771862  
Old 06-13-2012, 07:13 PM
A6TEXAN

I KINDA LIKE THE SQUIRREL IDEA MYSELF.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:30 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

I haul my 50cc yak all the time like that. and have hauled my python and my 35%yak a couple times. Usually I just leave em assembled in the trailer but somtimes I don't want to drag 30 feet of trailer with me.. I just grab one and put it in the back of my pickup and go.. I have a box to put the landing gear on and strap the landing gear to 50feet of log chain coiled up in the bottom of the pickup.. it isnt going anywhere. I do tape the surfaces with blue masking tape before I go down the road. You don't want the surfaces to flap freely in the breeze- that will strip the servo.. I have a friend who made some nice control locks out of the flexible steel straight edges with some padding on them. He drilled holes in them and clamps em over the surfaces to hold everything in place. But he goes 25miles or so on the freeway to fly..
Old 06-13-2012, 10:09 PM
JRAC19K
My Feedback: (4)

This is how B1 Bob rolled out the F-105 on the maiden flight.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:34 AM
Twin_Flyer

Nice trailer!

I want to do something similar, but am worried about the correct way to weatherproof the box when finished.

What did you use to seal the door when shut?

Thanks!
Bill
Old 06-14-2012, 04:42 AM
Twin_Flyer

A club member used to transport his Nosen P-51 fuse on the top of his '74 Camero for years and never had a problem with it.

Looked stranger seeing the tip of the wing sticking out of the passenger side window!

As long as your double check all mounts, you SHOULD be good to go, but forget one time and it could bite you, and the guy behind you, big time!

IMO, its just being lazy that you don't want to assemble it at the field.

Bill S.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:44 AM
Twin_Flyer

I would LOVE a trailer build thread!

Bill S.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:54 AM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Shhhh...."Big Secret Huh"..."I could tell you what I am secretly carrying, but then you would have to buy me something"...I get it..!!

ORIGINAL: thepamster

This probably would not happen in the friendly nation of Canada but here I would be concerned of teenagers deciding to throw a beer bottle at your plane while driving down the road.
I also don't want anyone to know what I am transporting to and from the field.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:22 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I would love to build a trailer too, but management has shot down the concept of having a trailer at the front of the house and I have already commandeered the garage as my workshop!

Thanks

dave
Old 06-14-2012, 05:34 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: ticketec

This is how I have to transport my model to the field because it just does not fit in the car.

The model flies faster than the 80 kmh that I get to going to the model field, The control surfaces are neutral so there is minimum load applied to the unpowered servos.... what is happening during the trasportation of the model that would be any different to the flight loads?

The only drama I could see on ForcesR's setup is that the outboard sections of the wing are in the airstream and therefore producing lift, which will be adding loads to the wing mid and root sections.... other than that, Can't see all fuss???

Thanks

Dave
Dave, that photo is worth a thousand words, I would love to have an FW-190 that size, what model is it?

Gee, if I had known that my post would cause so much controversy, I would never have posted. I guessI better not post a photo of my 89" WS ESM Spitfire sitting in the cradle inthe back of the Ranger

Idid take into consideration when I designed the cradle that the wing would protrude out into the airstream by approximately 15” on each side of the truck bed. That is why the cradle is designed to allow wing roll movement of ½’ up and ½” down. The design helps relieve the stresses placed on the wing structure from the airflow over the wing sections that protrude into the airstream.

<o></o>

Before I actually transported the Mustang, I took into consideration the things that may be unsafe, fail and potentially cause an accident. I work at an Aerospace consulting firm and I have friends in the engineering department who were asked to look at my cradle design and point out any flaws with the design and what could be done to improve the cradle. They made a few suggestions for improvement and those improvements were incorporated. They were satisfied with the changes and were confident that I could transport the Mustang in the cradle without having a wing failure and causing a potential accident.

<o></o>

I even had the misfortune recently of passing through an OPP spot check where transport vehicles were being checked for unsafe loads and current vehicle inspection. The officers thoroughly checked out my method of transporting the Mustang. They were impressed with the design and how it was secured and attached to the truck bed. They mentioned that they wouldn’t have a job to do if all truckers were as conscientious when it comes to safety concerns. Since the Mustang’s wing span is only 85”, I do not require a transport permit. If the wing span was above 96”, I would be required to have a transport permit.

<o></o>

There is one thing that was mentioned that I may do to save wear and stress on the flight control servos; install some sort of flight control locking device to keep the flight controls in the stream lined position.

Roger
Old 06-14-2012, 05:44 AM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Roger, I think its a genuine topic for discussion. Those who give antidotal evidence for not doing something most likely have no idea as to reason for the failure.

Just about any type of transport system can be made to operate safely given the right design.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:49 AM
ticketec

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: BobH

Roger, I think its a genuine topic for discussion. Those who give antidotal evidence for not doing something most likely have no idea as to reason for the failure.

Just about any type of transport system can be made to operate safely given the right design.

+1 [8D]

Roger, It's the new ESM Fw-190D. Cracking model!!! love flying it.

https://vimeo.com/33210524

My flying buddy normally comes to pick me up if were heading to an event that a fair drive away. it's only a 25min drive to the model field so if I'm heading there, I just strap her on the roof. I too made a custom cradle for the model and have also made sure that it can't move forwards or backwars in any way and she's been fine!

Thanks

dave
Old 06-14-2012, 06:13 AM
Twin_Flyer

Roger,
I also think its a great topic and doubt there is any RIGHT answer.

I think what the officers said was the important thing, you did it right.

My only problem is if you forget something ONE time, thats all it takes. BUT, that would stil apply even if you had the plane disassembled in the bed of your tuck, if you missed something, a part will fly out!

Thats why I choose to put a cap on my truck.

Great looking 'Stang nonetheless!!

Bill S.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:52 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You method of transportation is no different than what I have seen others do. If you can accept the risk that's your choice however IMO it's unsafe.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:55 AM
Kruzer

Neeeeh.... I'd rather not advertise.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:14 AM
raptureboy

Great idea and it sounds like you have thought it all out. My question would be this; do you store the plane at home assembled? If not what would be the advantage of assembling it at home ratherthan the field? I usally take 2- 3 planes to the field also, so trying to haul this way would be impossible. I use my Dodge mini van to haul in, with a wing rack system I made from pvc pipe that hangs from the coat hooks built in. I can be loaded and out the door in 20 min and if it rains on the way somewhere it's cool. Again, neat idea.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:45 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: paulhold

Call NASA quick!! this MUST be a bad idea.

See the little airplane on the top? The top speed of the small one is way higher than the top speed of the big one below. On the other hand, it would be a bad idea to invert the positions:-) Nasa has the biggest biplane in the world (in your picture).

Gerry
Old 06-14-2012, 08:21 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

What most people fail to recognize is that the FORCE on the wing and tail in straight and level flight is 1) equal to the weight of the plane and 2) independent of the speed.  This is true even if the plane is climbing steadily.  The only time additional force is applied is when the control surfaces get deflected and then only for a short time.  This situation, however, has constant forces well in excess of the weight of the plane being applied in both up and down directions.  And the back of a pickup is the worst place for unstable airflow, especially to the parts of the wing that overhang the sides.

Really not a good idea.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:51 AM
eeagle

I still transport my planes in a Ranger also. At times its frustrating. The biggest problem I found was having way to much turbulence at the tailgate. Twice the air turbulence cracked vertical stabs at the base! Granted it was highway speed (60mph), but even at 35 mph there is a lot of turbulence at the tailgate, and it does move the control surfaces. I leave the wings enclosed in a box at the back of the bed, and point the nose of the plane toward the rear, and set it in the bed where there is less air turbulence... just have to secure everything in case you gotta hit the brakes hard!
Old 06-14-2012, 08:54 AM
eddieC

Roger, that's not a good idea. You are putting a lot of stress on all of your surfaces. Dan.  
+1

Even at 20-25 mph, there's enormous strain and buffeting in the back of an open pickup, be the plane assembled or unassembled. Just because you get away with it doesn't make it wise/safe. Buy a POS minivan or full-size van, much cheaper than a new Haulmark. [8D]  And you have a spare vehicle.

There's lots of turbulent airflow in an open pickup, as shown by the OP's very involved fastenings and others using log chains, etc.  I gotta believe it takes as long to tie down the plane as to assemble it at the field.

This thread should be titled, 'How NOT to transport your plane...' 
Old 06-14-2012, 09:08 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Well, they dont leave full scale planes out on a ramp tied down in a hurricane. Even though most every plane can fly at speeds in excess, of the air speeds the hurricane produces. Same thing going on here really. Yes your plane flys faster than you're driving, but the stresses you're putting on your plane are far in excess of what they would be receiving during the same speed in flight.

bad idea, I think its just a matter of time.

Casey
Old 06-14-2012, 09:50 AM
GerKonig

Well, just imagine a 18 wheelers racing in the opposite direction 80 miles per hour. The wind shakes my SUV, I do not want to imagine that model exposed in the back of a truck...

Gerry
Old 06-14-2012, 10:07 AM
eddieC

Well, they dont leave full scale planes out on a ramp tied down in a hurricane. 
Was at the airport years ago as a strong gust front arrived just as a Mooney taxied in. He pointed into the wind with the engine running and brakes on full. Wnds were 60+, driving rain. We heard the engine race several times as he tried to stay put, and several times saw daylight under the wheels.  [X(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.