Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

looking for a mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Rustproofcorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a mechanic

So i have a couple of trucks that i am trying to get repaired. due to my schedule i have very little time to drive or to fix. if i had my way i would rather drive than fix but i like to fix them too.. i talked with traxxas and i am going to send them my brand new e-revo brushless for repair. it had and unfortunate accident with a colver in the middle of my first pack through it. i did order all the parts but when i got it apart i realized i cracked the frame and broke the front diff. not the housing the diff. oh yeah i hit the colvert hard. anyhow traxxas said they would repair my truck at 45/hour and i am going to have them do some upgrades to it while it is there. anyways all was good on that front. then i called hpi because i also have a new savage xs i would like repaired. it hasnt run right since i bought it in febuary but to my disconcern they said they dont repair there products like that. they said i can send in the esc or the tranny but not the whole truck to get it repaired. the tech did say they would prolly do it but it would cost me 45/hour at a 16hr minimum. *** 16hours. traxxas said they could have my truck apart new chassis and then back together in 2 hours. sheesh. anyhow long story even longer i am looking for a mechanic to fix up my savage xs. is there anyone online that does this? my 2 lhs that are in the area sell cars and what not but they dont fix anything. actually they sell you a car then have to order the parts if you have a problem. seems silly to me. anyways anyone know where i can get a mechanic online to ship my stuff to?
Old 06-12-2012, 04:57 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: looking for a mechanic

fix it yourself, its part of the hobby.

I'm so good at repair i can gut and rebuild any car in under 3 hours, and that is EVERY part, removed, cleaned, inspected and adjusted, especially my t-maxx because I have replaced EVERYTHING at least twice (bulkheads are a bear though)

but honestly, if you don't have the time or patients, run from this hobby as fast as you can, some things are daunting to do, but in reality its not too bad.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:08 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

fix it yourself, its part of the hobby.

I'm so good at repair i can gut and rebuild any car in under 3 hours, and that is EVERY part, removed, cleaned, inspected and adjusted, especially my t-maxx because I have replaced EVERYTHING at least twice (bulkheads are a bear though)

but honestly, if you don't have the time or patients, run from this hobby as fast as you can, some things are daunting to do, but in reality its not too bad.
ditto I can do most mine in 2-3 hours(cleaned) with no instructions

If I'm just replacing a broken part usually 15-30 mins tops even for the worst damage I've done. Worst damage I've done that I can think of was I completely riped a bumper mount out from under a bulkhead which required a complete dis assembly of the front end

But its like anything practice makes perfect. Anything will seem daunting

For the OP they rippin you off man. Just take one apart, and try it for yourself. Unless you learn to do it yourself I hope you poop gold bricks out cause that's what you will need with how RC's break.

Also I'm shocked that your LHS don't repair vehicles I thought that ripping people off that don't care to learn to repair vehicles was how they stayed in business nowadays
Old 06-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Rustproofcorn

general maintance and a few hop ups i will do. however i have really done a number on these two trucks. and i only hvae a couple months left of sumer here in alaska. i just want them up to good then i will do the mechanicing myself. i have completly upgraded my rustler and loved every minute of it. i just simply wont have time to mess with them until winter. then i dont get to play with them..
Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 PM
thehuntingterminator

PM sent.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:47 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

$45 an hour at a 16 hour minimum, that is hilarious. HPI what have you been smoking, that's more than the price of a new one. It sounds like they don't want the hassle of fixing your truck so they made up some terms and conditions on the spot to try and deter you. They did say 16 hours right? It's not a double typo or something is it? I am in disbelief.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:53 AM
Rustproofcorn

no typo they said 16 hours or 2-8 hour days. was retarded.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:09 AM
pcarluvr

LOL... 16 hours? $45.00 an hour? I've worked on real cars for less! Plus, how much for you to ship these things to and from? I have a buddy's Summit that I'm repairing at work for less! Of course he's a buddy but still! I would at least find a LHS that knows someone that would fix it for ya locally and not rip your head off! You could rebuild a real car engine in 16 hours... I'm just amazed that a well know company in the hobby would have the nerve to even say that! ***?
Old 06-14-2012, 10:17 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

They have the nerve to say that because It is exactly what you would say if you do not want the work. If it isn't your core business, you don't price it competitively for a good reason. You don't want the work.

That way, the customer either finds another solution (HPI's preference, most likely) or they gladly pay the extra so they can get it done.

HPI is not known for providing top notch repair technicians. They're known for producing top notch R/C vehicles.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:06 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Who said HPI???

ORIGINAL: LaTuFu

They have the nerve to say that because It is exactly what you would say if you do not want the work. If it isn't your core business, you don't price it competitively for a good reason. You don't want the work.

That way, the customer either finds another solution (HPI's preference, most likely) or they gladly pay the extra so they can get it done.

HPI is not known for providing top notch repair technicians. They're known for producing top notch R/C vehicles.

I'll fix em for $30 an hour :P

Old 06-14-2012, 11:31 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: LaTuFu

more recently vehicles of questionable quality with some of their more recent ones...

BTW I was a rabid HPI fanboy for awhile when I 1st got into the hobby
Old 06-14-2012, 12:33 PM
pcarluvr

NO, if I didn't want the work or didn't do that work, I'd say " I don't do that!" Sorry sir, we are the manufacturer, we only build them. Here is the name of the supplier nearest you to have it repaired. It is absolutely impossible for the repairs to take 16 hours, so he would pay $45.00 an hour to have it sit there till somebody gets an extra 2 hours to get to it! And that I guess you would call customer service? I don't care how "Top notch" someones product is. (I don't know how to quote) If I owned one and I called them to ask a simple innocent question and that was their answer to me, I would take their "Top notch" product, feed it into a wood chipper and mail them the @#!* in a box explaining that their humorous recommendation of having it serviced by them is now laying in their lap and mark it up as a complete loss!

@rustproofcorn~ I wish you could trust people on here, if you could, mail it to me and I'll fix it for free! I sit here all day putzin on the computer till I get a customer! It's fun to work on them!!!
Old 06-14-2012, 12:47 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: pcarluvr

@rustproofcorn~ I wish you could trust people on here, if you could, mail it to me and I'll fix it for free! I sit here all day putzin on the computer till I get a customer! It's fun to work on them!!!
Is that an open invitation? I'm sure there are lots of people that could provide you with some "fun".
Old 06-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Rustproofcorn

I really am shocked the is no company online that does this. Honestly right know I have a guy from these forums who is going to charge 30/hours which sounds fair. Only trouble is he can only work weekends. He is going to give me the info after the weekend for shipping etc. I'll let you all know how it comes out.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:11 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

ORIGINAL: Rustproofcorn

I really am shocked the is no company online that does this. Honestly right know I have a guy from these forums who is going to charge 30/hours which sounds fair. Only trouble is he can only work weekends. He is going to give me the info after the weekend for shipping etc. I'll let you all know how it comes out.
If I had to guess why no online companies do repairs, I reckon they would not get much business due to the fact most people do repairs and upgrades themselves and the added cost of postage would turn people away, I guess there would also be a problem with people sending in dirty trucks and stuff like that.

$30 an hour sounds fair I guess, I just hope it's not some lowlife who just keeps your trucks. Sorry but I don't have much faith in people.

I still can't believe the whole 16 hours thing, I'd have a hard time trying to not feel insulted over that one. I would much prefer being told that they don't offer that service.