Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Beej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

So this has really brought some bashers out who have no actual experience with the engine, or even an attempted purchase! Clearly, being a small operation Syssa has its issues. On the other hand I have two of these great engines and they are not only pieces of mechanical art but haul hard and are very reliable. I have always had rapid, constructive and friendly replies from Todd when I have had a question. Clearly, he's an engineer and is desperately in need of some "e-commerce" skills. The web site is a mess and doesnt even list the many things he has for sale (but you have to know he has them...). As small business person he's probably not resourced enough to juggle all these balls in the air. It would be the greatest of pities to see this promising designer/engineer go down. Somebody local needs to help him with the "e-business" before the DA35 kills him off - perhaps in exchange for an engine or two......

Beej

ORIGINAL: PropsnWings

If you read other forums, you might see Syssa has issues with follow through. I hope they have been able to correct that, but I know of 2 guys that never saw their orders or refunds. It is enough to turn me away, regardless of how well its made or where its made.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:51 AM
PropsnWings
My Feedback: (9)

Was not intended as a "basher" That is about the most unfair assumption from my post.

I simply stated facts....... I also stated I hope he can get this worked out......but its been an ongoing problem for almost a year now.

ORIGINAL: Beej

So this has really brought some bashers out who have no actual experience with the engine, or even an attempted purchase! Clearly, being a small operation Syssa has its issues. On the other hand I have two of these great engines and they are not only pieces of mechanical art but haul hard and are very reliable. I have always had rapid, constructive and friendly replies from Todd when I have had a question. Clearly, he's an engineer and is desperately in need of some "e-commerce" skills. The web site is a mess and doesnt even list the many things he has for sale (but you have to know he has them...). As small business person he's probably not resourced enough to juggle all these balls in the air. It would be the greatest of pities to see this promising designer/engineer go down. Somebody local needs to help him with the "e-business" before the DA35 kills him off - perhaps in exchange for an engine or two......

Beej

ORIGINAL: PropsnWings

If you read other forums, you might see Syssa has issues with follow through. I hope they have been able to correct that, but I know of 2 guys that never saw their orders or refunds. It is enough to turn me away, regardless of how well its made or where its made.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:36 AM
Model 10

If it's been a year and no sassa eng ...it's time to file a complaint to the states attorney office of consumer affairs in connecticut .....the office address is ...165 capitol ave hartford, ct.06106 and you will either have your eng or your money back in 30 days .....go to WWW.ct.gov/dcp.......
Old 06-15-2012, 06:40 AM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

I own 3 of these engines and have never experienced anything but the best service. Yes, I too have waited to get something I ordered, but then when I needed some different size standoffs, Todd sent them USPS Priority mail and I got them in 2 days. I wrecked one of my planes and did some serious damage to the engine. Sent it in, Todd fixed it, and I got it back in about 3 weeks. Couldn't be happier. I experienced some of the same engine starting problems with one of my engines. Had helluva time getting it to draw fuel and run right. When I got it running, I discovered that what it needed was just a little time running on the ground. Kinda like the break-in you would do with an ABC nitro engine. After that, it runs perfectly. Syssa is a good company that makes a tremendous product that you will be very happy with. Be patient and your patience will be rewarded.
Steve
Old 06-15-2012, 07:35 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: Model 10

If it's been a year and no sassa eng ...it's time to file a complaint to the states attorney office of consumer affairs in connecticut .....the office address is ...165 capitol ave hartford, ct.06106 and you will either have your eng or your money back in 30 days .....go to WWW.ct.gov/dcp.......
If it's been a year, there's another side of this story that we don't know about yet.... It's that simple.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:54 AM
Model 10

Yep Think you are right ...on that.......... I got my muffler today ...........
Old 06-15-2012, 09:40 AM
bipeflr
My Feedback: (8)

Just checked the mail and I did NOT get my engine. In fact I dont know if it is in the works to be shipped if he is in fact shipping me an engine or not. I have heard squat. The only thing I know is My Paypal account deposited in his account and the transaction was completed....since nothing from SYSSA shouldn't I at least get a kiss..Jim
Old 06-15-2012, 09:45 AM
bipeflr

Has anyone that ordered an engine from SYSSA on or after 5/29/12 heard or gotten an engine from him. The engine according to his add was in stock. Jim
Old 06-15-2012, 09:53 AM
hyflyer9

I don't know about you people but for me this engine is a paice of Garbage i have been trying to get this engine working rite for almost a month now and still no good at least my little chinese 26 cc gets more rpm's with the same prop on it and if the carb is no good than maybe todd had better go back and redoo all his engines insted of sending people a bunch of garbage . Now i am going to have to go and buy a good chinese 30 cc to replace this one and oh almost forgot that little chinese 26cc took about 15 minutes to get it tuned rite and that was three years ago and no matter how long that has been setting three flips of the prop and it's up and running perfect every time .
Old 06-15-2012, 10:01 AM
JohnB96041

Enough of the negative comments. They are not justified. Syssa makes a great engine and it is made in the U.S.A.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Mike Miller

It truly is no wonder that T.O.M. left this forum. I have had enough myself.

Unsubscribed

BTW. Todd Syssa has never been anything except up front and honest with me. I own two SAP 30's. Wonderful engines.

Mike OUT
Old 06-15-2012, 11:24 AM
bipeflr

Mike Miller& JohnB, If you guys think he is so great contact him and have him contact me or dont rag on me for critising for not contacting me and acknowledging my order..Jim
Old 06-15-2012, 11:38 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When there is a transaction problem, how you act and your attitude helps a lot.

A cursing demanding person is unlikely to achieve any satisfaction!
Old 06-15-2012, 11:46 AM
bipeflr

I did not realize I used profanity. Thanks for your help....Jim
Old 06-15-2012, 12:09 PM
w8ye

It was just a statement. I didn't intend to insinuate that any one individual actually used profanity.

The point is. . . . you get more bees with honey than you do with fire.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:37 PM
hyflyer9

All i am saying is i have been trying to get this engine tuned so it will at least give me full power but i can't even get any more than 7100 rpm at full throttle and i have checked and rechecked every thing including all inside the carb and even went out and got new fresh gas and made sure it was mixed at 40-1 and a good quallity oil STIHL Permium 2 stroke oil 100 ml oil to 4ltr or 1000ml of gas is 40-1 the prop is an Xoar 18x8 and at least my little chinses 26cc gets 8100 rpm with the same prop . so how can a high performance 30cc get less .
Old 06-15-2012, 12:41 PM
bigwes1962
My Feedback: (1)

tracking said it has shipped now.my email that i got from todd on monday said it was shipped but it had not until today....may have my engine soon....keep those fingers crossed
Old 06-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: hyflyer9

All i am saying is i have been trying to get this engine tuned so it will at least give me full power but i can't even get any more than 7100 rpm at full throttle and i have checked and rechecked every thing including all inside the carb and even went out and got new fresh gas and made sure it was mixed at 40-1 and a good quallity oil STIHL Permium 2 stroke oil 100 ml oil to 4ltr or 1000ml of gas is 40-1 the prop is an Xoar 18x8 and at least my little chinses 26cc gets 8100 rpm with the same prop . so how can a high performance 30cc get less .
Have you tried aXoar 18x6 prop? It should give you around 8,400 rpm and about 17lbs of thruston the ground when the engine is tuned properly. I have not seen any RPM figures for the 18x8 props on the Syssa. I do know that it likes to run at a higher RPM than other engines in this class, which means you need to run a smaller prop to get the most efficiency out of the engine. The 18x6 prop will give you a "baseline" to see if your engine has any problems. If you can't get over 8,200 rpm or so with that prop, you have a problem.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:46 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

hyflyer9, like Joystick says, it needs to unload so it can turn up some rpm. That's where it likes making it's power. I run an 18x6 on mine as well. Different engines like different props. I run an 18x8 on my DLE30, and it's on a bigger plane....
Old 06-15-2012, 01:49 PM
JohnB96041

ORIGINAL: ahicks

hyflyer9, like Joystick says, it needs to unload so it can turn up some rpm. That's where it likes making it's power. I run an 18x6 on mine as well. Different engines like different props. I run an 18x8 on my DLE30, and it's on a bigger plane....
Yep, on the prop size. I am running an 18.5 x 5.5 and it loves the prop. Good rpm, not a lot of speed.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:50 PM
JohnB96041

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: hyflyer9

Have you tried a Xoar 18x6 prop? It should give you around 8,400 rpm and about 17 lbs of thrust on the ground when the engine is tuned properly. I have not seen any RPM figures for the 18x8 props on the Syssa. I do know that it likes to run at a higher RPM than other engines in this class, which means you need to run a smaller prop to get the most efficiency out of the engine. The 18x6 prop will give you a ''baseline'' to see if your engine has any problems. If you can't get over 8,200 rpm or so with that prop, you have a problem.
I am running the Vess 18.5 x 5.5. Anyone know where I can get a wood 18 x 4w prop?
Old 06-15-2012, 02:33 PM
hyflyer9

this is in an ESM P39 80" all up weight is 18lbs 4oz I have been running it today and it is getting a little better now at about 7300 rpm on the 18x8 prop.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:49 PM
w8ye

The Syssa 30 is more of an rpm engine with a smaller prop whereas engines like the DLE 30 have a lot of torque and use a big prop.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:55 PM
JohnB96041

Ordered and received a new muffler for my SAP 180 30cc. Total elapsed time was 3 weeks. What a nice looking muffler. Whole new design compared to the original. My original muffler has never come loose after many flights, however others have experienced loose mufflers. Bought this one for a "just in case" time. Todd's company does great work.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:34 AM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all let me make one thing perfectly clear. I am an American. Born and raised right here in the USA. I am proud of my fellow countrymen ( and women ) but being in the working class of society and a Journeyman Machinist I have first hand exposure to what I am about to say.

Trying to sell an item by simply using the "Made in the USA" banner does not guarantee a superior product. It does not also guarantee superior backing by the manufacturer. However I would like to see more USA products for the modeling market.

I looked at the Syssa 30 at the Toledo show. I was not convinced by the sales rep to buy one.

I still believe the secret to having a good running engine is to know how to troubleshoot. We must admit that many come into this hobby with no mechanical aptitude, have problems they can't decipher, claim the product to be faulty, or the product is ruined due to lack of knowledge.

BTW....I have switched to AVGAS A100 and will not go back to pump gas. Stricter quality standards with controlled moisture content and no ethanol. There is a noticeable difference from my observations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.