Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Brand New Hummingbird not working.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Brand New Hummingbird not working.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 12:27 AM
bobertperry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New Hummingbird not working.

Hello,
I just bought a Hummingbird from HeliHobby and it does not work. I connected ever thing, mounted the stuff and put the Cristal in the transmitter. I turn on the trasnmitter than i connect the battery. The mixerbord than flashes red than green,red,green,red like there is no signal but the transmitter is 2 feet away! Help please any ideas. I cant find my camera or i would take pics of it. The receiver has a F on it. Is the gws transmitter have a Futaba or JR shift? Please help.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:10 AM
rototiller

Well, the GWS receiver can be either, depending on which one you ordered. If it has an F on it, it is Futaba shift.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:30 AM
bobertperry

I bought there packaged deal. the reciver has a Futabas shift. Is that what shift the gws dream starter uses? I also just notested that they sent me a different gyro than they advertised on there site. They advertise that they sell the GWS PG-03 with it but I got ikarus micro gyro. The invoice was right though.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:47 AM
bobertperry

When I turn off the transmeter the servos go crazy. I cant normaly get any of the servos to move. Dont konw if that will help anyone help me.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:01 AM
jeffs555

I think the GWS transmitter is available in both Futaba and JR shift. I have never seen one, but I would think it would have an "F" or "J" marking somewhere like on the receivers. If the shift were wrong, it would probably exhibit the symptoms you describe.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:00 AM
SpeedTriple

I have a similar problem, but it seems intermittent.
I get the feeling it might be something to do with the state of the heli battery although I haven't tried it enough times to be sure as I only got mine yesterday.
The Rx is a GWR-4P no F's or J's anywhere on the Rx.
I'm using an old Futaba 5 channel Tx which has never given me any problems.
On powering the heli sometimes its fine, the servos snap to centre postion and the motors are off.
Other times the servos go wild and the motor sticks at 100%
The first time it did this it flew around the kitchen and smashed into a chair, luckily only one main blade broke, nothing else.
I was beginning to suspect my Tx, but if similar things are happening to others, maybe there is a fundamental problem.

It is quite frightening when the motor is stuck at full power and you have no control over it, bit like letting a baby lepoard off its leash it the kitchen.
I have a new tx coming in the next couple of days, will see if that makes any difference, let us know if you find the cause of the problem.

Rich.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:19 AM
rototiller

If you turn off the transmitter before you turn off the GWS receiver, you can expect the servos to go crazy. GWS receivers do not like the absence of the transmitter's signal. I have 2 GWS receivers (both on Hornets) and they do exactly the same thing.

This is normal behaviour for these receivers as far as I have experienced.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:41 AM
SpeedTriple

I realise that.
Mine does it intermittently with the transmitter on.
I know from bitter expeience no to try anything with the Tx off, I've nearly lost fingers to prove it :-)

Rich.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:41 AM
rototiller

Sorry.

Having that happen with the transmitter on is alot less normal...

However, depending on the location of the antenna and servo wiring, glitches can occur, although those do sound extreme for a glitch.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:13 AM
bobertperry

This Sucks.... Im starting to become a little depressed. I was soo excited and now it wont work. I wish that the guys from helihoby would get back to me.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:35 AM
rototiller

bobertperry

Forgive the obvious question, but is your transmitter crystal the same frequency as your receiver crystal?
Old 09-04-2003, 10:12 PM
bobertperry

yep... That was one of the first things i checked.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:50 AM
bobertperry

BOYA!

My father let me have his old Futaba Conquest radio. I shuved the cristel in it and it worked perfectly.. well allmost.. I think eather the big gear on the bottom is not on the mettel bar right or the bar is bent. O well.

Another quick question how do you set up a Ikarus Micro Gyro.. It has sens and zero ajustments... I am haveing a hard time geting it right. I can do it for one speed but than when i turn up the speed its wrong again.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:46 AM
SpeedTriple

I have Century's own micro gyro, I have noticed that during take off the tail does wander a bit.
Once you have trimmed the pitch and roll servos I think it's a case of just having the balls to hit the throttle, I found that once near half or more throttle the tail began to behave, which is good because there are no adjustments on the Century gyro.

My Futaba 8U Super should arrive today, let's hope it cures my strange radio problems.

Rich
Old 09-08-2003, 05:36 PM
bobertperry

Default RE: Brand New Hummingbird not working.

Hey thought i tell you guys (verry bord sorry) that fixed the gryo(mostly, still wonders) it was upside down. He he, I have called Helli hobby many times only one time geting though and they told me they would call me back... still waiting.