Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

THE UNOFFICIAL SHOCKWAVE 36 THREAD

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

THE UNOFFICIAL SHOCKWAVE 36 THREAD

Old 02-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Chriscraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THE UNOFFICIAL SHOCKWAVE 36 THREAD

Hi guys,
I would like to know if any of you have had the hatch nut break clean in the leadnut under the hatch, if you possibly know about that.
I am inquiring about a replacement for that. I have called Horizon Hobbies and they are of no help.
I might try drilling it out and re-tap, but before I go through that much trouble, I would like to know if you might know of a supplier
that might have this item.
I have subscribed to this thread, so please let me know of your suggestions.
Thanks,
Van
Old 02-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Motoman25
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Chriscraft

Hi guys,
I would like to know if any of you have had the hatch nut break clean in the leadnut under the hatch, if you possibly know about that.
I am inquiring about a replacement for that. I have called Horizon Hobbies and they are of no help.
I might try drilling it out and re-tap, but before I go through that much trouble, I would like to know if you might know of a supplier
that might have this item.
I have subscribed to this thread, so please let me know of your suggestions.
Thanks,
Van
I would find a similar setup bolt/nut at a hardware store and epoxy it down. I had the fiberglass break there on mine as well and have to fabricate something before the spring. Not sure what I am going to do yet.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:15 AM
LT_HOGWEED

do your self a favour don't use reg steel cause I forgot to dry the water off and it rusted up bad I had to drill it out and that was fun
Old 02-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Motoman25

Yeah you need stainless anytime you are doing something with a boat.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Chriscraft

Hey,
Thanks guys. I will try the hardware store and make sure it is stainless or aluminum.
I might try a wing nut instead of ordering another hatch screw
Old 02-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Chriscraft

OH, just to add,
The guy with the gallon jug,That's a good idea, but I use a 12v pump to check and tune my boat.
It produces enough pressure to push the water through the cooling system from the water pickup.
I can also check for leaks.
Just something I do to check my boat before a run[8D]
Old 04-10-2011, 04:53 AM
cgd2175

hello guys my SW runs like this:
1. when full throttle run ok but then after 7-10 it revs up
2. runs very hard with bluish smoke for about 15-20 secs
3. then returns to the average speed described in point 1
4. the again revs up and al the cycle is repeated
I think that I have a rich Low and something happens in the transitio from mid to high speed.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old 04-10-2011, 10:44 AM
cgd2175

hello guys my SW runs like this:
1. When full throttle runs ok but then after 7-10 seconds it revs up.
2. runs very hard with bluish smoke for about 15-20 secs
3. then returns to the average speed described in point 1
4. then again revs up and al the cycle is repeated
I think that I have a rich Low and something happens in the transition from mid to high speed.
Any suggestions?
Thanks 
Old 05-01-2011, 09:50 PM
WakeBoardnBash

Man i miss having a SW 36.

I came across one a short while back on OSE that had a .40 in it, i tried my hardest to buy it but somone bought it before i could get to it.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Nosreme722

Hello all, I have a question. I am a complete novice when it comes to tuning any engine what-so-ever.. and i hate it. I would love any help, thanks.

I've had my SW36 for about 3 years and well, lets say i havent taken care of it the best, oh and also I bought it used (apparently "broken in correctly", but im not sure about that). So it really is about the worst situation possible but id love to try and fix it. I put it away for a year or two b/c i lost the shaft with prop and everything one day out of the blue.

Anyway, I can start it fine and ive been able to get a good run in every once in awhile but it consistently stalls at what appears to me at random times. Well not necessarily random, say I start it and let it run idle to warm it a bit and then put it in and its makes it to the middle of the pond (no speed change) and it stalls.. it seems to do this 3 maybe 4 times then magically it runs perfect (without needle change). I tell myself its definitely the needle settings but idk what to do about it. Ive done no mods myself other than a replacement of the shaft, prop, etc with stock parts.

One constant I noticed was that it can idle for as long as it wants (out of water that is) but as soon as I go for full throttle or even 3/4 it stalls. I presume this is an easy fix and would appreciate a link or anything on how to tune a boat engine?

Im very sorry for the extremely long post, but im pretty frustrated. If you read the whole thing congrats and please help! thanks!

Old 05-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You need to richen the high-speed needle. Onshore you should have a slight bog when you blip the throttle. The weather will dictate how it will run one day from the next so you may find yourself doing minor adjustments often.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:48 AM
Nosreme722

Would it have anything to do with the low speed needle? I read the manual for the dynamite .32m engine and i believe it said that after u set the high speedle you can set the low one so there is no hesitation from low to full speed. I feel like when its not warmed up if i go from low to half speed it stalls. Just thinking, I cant work on it right now but i'll try later. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:01 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The low-speed needle from the factory is not even close to where it needs to be which is where a lot of Dynamite .32 owners have problems. With any RTR nitro boat the manufacturer hasn't a clue as where it's going to end up in the world so settings are only a rough guesstimate.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Nosreme722

so should i richen the high speed needle and go from there? Is there anything u can tell me about what to do at all or specifically with the low speed needle after I adjust the high speed one? Thanks again.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Nosreme722

Alright, I tried it with a richened high speed needle. I definitely got better results but i still couldnt get it to full speed without stalling. I didnt have much time to tinker as i am busy and it was late but any more advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 PM
WakeBoardnBash

Anyone running a K&B .40?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:05 PM
rj8888

anyone know what is the best flex cable and prop to use in the shockwave
Old 06-18-2012, 01:00 AM
willo jet

Hi guys,

Anyone still running the sw36 ?

Ive just got one for my 1st larger nitro mono.

Cheers
Will
Old 06-18-2012, 04:03 AM
Chriscraft

Hello Will,
Yes, still running SW36 stock, no upgrades. She is fast. Still running stock running gear. If the motor is new, suggest getting an electric fuel pump and break her in by running water through the head of the motor without going to the pond and having to go after her if she stalls. Read the manual and grease the prop shaft before starting and make sure the shaft and the motor line up.
[8D]
Old 06-18-2012, 04:19 AM
Chriscraft

Nosreme,
Now that you have adjusted the high end needle, now you need to adjust the low end needle. Make adjustments in 1/8th nudges, small turns.
Just remember "turning in" is lean or less nitro, "turning out" is rich or more nitro. If she transisions from low throttle to high throttle smoothly, then turn-in your high
end needle 1/8th turn, then try her out.[8D]
Old 06-18-2012, 04:26 AM
Chriscraft

rj8888,
Try Offshore Electrics web site. They have a flex shaft for the Shockwave 36.[8D]
Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 PM
willo jet

Well im not sure if they have perfected a few thing people have had trouble with,i have run 3 tanks of gas threw her and the exhaust coupler is still in one piece and the flex shaft is straight.

I ran 3 tanks of gas with 20% nitro with the factory (rich) needle settings i just need too sort out the death wobble with what other people have done
 extra weight,turn fins ect too get her to honk along without wanting too go crazzy on me.

I was thinking of sealing  the main hatch or sum sort of mod to stop water coming in so that if i flip/roll her,any thoughts ??
Old 06-19-2012, 01:01 AM
willo jet

Whats a good prop too use i have the standard plastic/composite prop ?
Old 12-13-2012, 03:48 AM
Biscuit

Guys anyone still out there I have had my boat for a while now and only just started to use it, when I bought it guy said I should junk the stock prop and sold me a octuraX648, now I have been using this prop to run it it and now leaned it out but it was so slow, I thought that must be how they are. Yesterday however I found the stock plastic prop put it on and WOW what a difference ! the boat is howling around the lake at almost twice the speed but the hull is right on the edge of flipping at this speed but fun, the thing is the motor runs fine for a few laps then when I let the throttle off to take the turn it will not pick up again for a while and then all of a sudden power comes back in then dies again and so on. We have richend up the top needle but it seems to make no difference at all, I have noticed the idle needle is very close to the outlet main jet when carb is fully open, maybe this is stopping the flow of fuel and I should richen the lower needle and lean the top? anyone help??
Thanks
Old 08-06-2013, 11:36 AM
nitrogen_bomb

Is this thread dead or what? Anyone still running their Shockwaves? Or has the world changed so much recently? I'm using my Shockwave 36 again this Summer and it's going strong. Biscuit - did you solve the power problem? Is it an engine power problem or is it cavitation of the propeller - i.e. the prop is slipping momentarily and then it digs again and the boat picks up speed? Willo jet - I use an X447 brass balanced prop but you will read on this thread that many think it is too big (47mm) - the general idea is that an x445 is better. I don't know but my Shockwave flies out of the water with this prop, that is when I have the correct needle settings, which sometimes can be somewhat tricky to find. It takes patience and many slight adjustments.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.